The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

As per a thread on the Dressage forum that got way off base and wandered into eventing territory, I got curious and compiled the top 3 horses at Badminton for the last number of years, with their breeding as best as I could figure it out. Please feel to correct any mistakes.

1 Primmore's Pride GB BSH May hill (TB) Primmore Hill (BSH) Ben Faerie (TB)
    2 Tamarillo GB AA Tarnik (AA) Mellita (AA) Master Spiritus (TB)
    3 Master Monarch GB TB Just a Monarch (TB)

1 Tamarillo GB AA Tarnik (AA) Mellita (AA) Master Spiritus (TB)
    2 Lord Killinghurst GB BSH Sulaafah (TB) Lady Killinghurst (TB-Hann) Maple Duellist (Hann)
    3 Psephologist GB BSH Michaels Revenge (TB) Mispirita BSH) Master Spiritus (TB)

1 Supreme Rock IRE ISH Edmund Burke (TB) Rineen Classic (ISH) Bassompierre (TB)
    2 Ypäjä Karuso SWE SWB Krocket (SWB) Just Splendid (TB) John Splendid (TB)
    3 Over To You IRE TB Over the River (TB) Another Miller (TB) Gala Performance (TB)

1 Supreme Rock IRE ISH Edmund Burke (TB) Rineen Classic (ISH) Bassompierre (TB)
    2 Tamarillo GB AA Tarnik (AA) Mellita (AA) Master Spiritus (TB)
    3 Shear H2O IRE ISH Stan the Man (TB) Starry Night (ISH) Carnival Night (TB)

1 Star Appeal IRE ISH I'm a Star (TB)
    2 Shear H2O IRE ISH Stan the Man (TB) Starry Night (ISH) Carnival Night (TB)
    3 Flinstone

1 Jaybee NZ TB Norfolk Air (TB)
    2 Michaelmas GB TB Maori King (TB) Rosa (TB)
    3 Out and About USA TB L'Amour Rullah (TB) Incardine (TB) Decidedly (TB)

1 Word Perfect IRE ISH Lexicon (TB) Bessie Ash (ISH)

1 Custom Made IRE ISH Basompierre (TB) Purple Heather (ISH) Ben Purple (RID)
    --------------------------------------
    Creo que el mundo es bello,
    que la poesÃ*a es como el pan, de todos.

Yikes, the formatting is all messed up...... ph well.

I'll add the WEG and OG and more badminton when I have time to format it properly. Please fill in any holes.

Olympics

G Shear l'Eau IRE ISH Stan the Man (TB) Starry Night (ISH) Carnival Night (TB)
    S Winsome Adante GB BSH Saunter (TB) Juswith Genoa (BSH) Bohemond (TB)
    B rimmore's Pride GB BSH May hill (TB) Primmore Hill (BSH) Ben Faerie (TB)

G Custom Made IRE ISH Basompierre (TB) Purple Heather (ISH) Ben Purple (RID)
    S Swizzle In USA TB??? Ante Over (TB) Marlies ??? Vale of Tears (TB)
    B Eye Spy NZ NZSH Straight Strike (TB) Black Emerald (NZSH)

G Ready Teddy NZ TB Brilliant Invader (TB) Double Summer (TB)
    S Squirrel Hill NZ TB Telereign (TB) Mrs Phipps
    B Out and About US TB L'amour Rullah (TB) Incardine (TB)

G Kibah Tic Toc AUS Hann-ASH Domherr (Hann) Aus Stock Horse
    S Feine Dame GER Hols Diplomat (TB) Werina (Holst) Anblick (TB)
    B Messiah NZ TB Aberlou (TB) Portia (TB)

WEG

G Espoir de la Mare FRA SF What a Joy (TB) Touraine du Fresne (SF) Ukase (SF)
    S Over To You IRE TB Over the River (TB) Another Miller (TB) Gala Performance (TB)
    B Ypäjä Karuso SWE SWB Krocket (SWB) Just Splendid (TB) John Splendid (TB)

G Ready Teddy NZ TB Brilliant Invader (TB) Double Summer (TB)
    S Broadcast New NZ NZSH Time'l Tell (Appy) Royaliere (TB) Celtic Park (TB)
    B SAS Monaghan IRE ISH Roman Guard (TB) Spotted Lady (ISH)

G Bounce NZ TB
    S Molokai USA TB Hawaii (TB) Pretty Copy (TB) Copy Chief (TB)
    B Get Smart

G Messiah NZ TB Aberlou (TB) Portia (TB)
    S Murphy Himself IRE ISH Royal Reknown (TB) Molly (ISH) Cappagh Boy (TB)
    B Pirate Lion IRE ISH Patch (TB) Stream Lion (ISH) Ideal Water (ISH)

thank you for that drumbiggle! Look at all those TBs and almost-TBs! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

And all the ISHs!

There is an IDSH by Bassompierre named Coronea Loughine that I think I'm going to take a closer look at now.

as our sport changes, I am going to be very interested in how the breeding changes. Are we going to see more warmbloods to positvely influence our show jumping and dressage? or are eventers going to start getting as... for lack of a better word, "type-A" about bloodlines and registries for their tbs as the "warmbloody people?" As it is now, we take horses off the track and VERY few eventers are actually bred... bloodlines are just not as important. I think we are starting to see (and will continue to see) more importance placed on bloodlines. In fact, that was Bruces (davidsons) biggest coplaint with the young horse event series, there was no score on bloodlines!
    www.freewebs.com/teamtangerine

"wise men never play leap frog with unicorns"

I was very shocked that eventing people didn't bid on Cornea Loughine (Bassompierre xx - ID mare) very similar to Custom Made... in the SSA this year.

I keep asking myself, when are the eventing people going to start breeding horses FOR eventing in the U.S.? The more emphasis placed on dressage and show jumping phases... and yet in the U.S. you either go to Ireland or GB, or you buy OTTB and hope for the best... seems like severe lack of planning in that industry.

The ISH is one of the smallest books and yet dominates year after year in WBFSH rankings of producers of international level eventers. These horses are tough, sound and have work ethics out the bazoo, and yet are very rideable and brave.

I am not 'in' the eventing world, so maybe they are changing, but gosh, wake up and smell the future market place http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif
    B

I totally agree btilton!
    www.freewebs.com/teamtangerine

"wise men never play leap frog with unicorns"

I'm trying to breed TBs and TB crosses for eventing. I am only a small breeder and have only just started, but there are a few of us out there http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif
    Julia in Nokesville, VA

It'll be interesting if you get them sold before they are under saddle...

Now I had a ton of interest in my ISH girl by parents of eventer kids because of her breeding and she was kid safe to boot, and had some experience cross country, but most didn't want to pay what the hunter people would pay. She ended up in a hunter home...
    B

Originally posted by btilton:
    Now I had a ton of interest in my ISH girl by parents of eventer kids because of her breeding and she was kid safe to boot, and had some experience cross country, but most didn't want to pay what the hunter people would pay. She ended up in a hunter home...
    B
    I think this is an interesting point... god help us poor eventers if horses end up costing what the hunters will pay!

That's definitely the problem: there's just no money in it (breeding for eventing). And I am not sure that that is going to change anytime soon since I get the feeling that your rank-and-file eventers take great pride in making "something" from what was basically "nothing." The diamond-in-the-rough syndrome is actually what is most sought after when it comes to unproven horses--among the average riders, that is. The ones with major aspirations, I suspect, do show interest in some youngsters that have some breeding to back them up--but it also has to have type and stride and they still want something going u/s, not a baby.

So few (in any sport) have the time to wait and there are soooo many variables between breeding and performance, even more so for a "multi-dimensional" sport like eventing.

As a typical example: I have a full sister to Connor going right now, and I have her priced as a hunter pony (she's top of the line, etc., etc.). Karen said there were lots of people interested in her in Florida (where I put up posters), but I just know none would pay what I want for her and what I could get, probably fairly quickly, if I sent her to a hunter barn (she's doing courses, fancy, no changes yet though--but inclined to do them, etc.).

And so I've actually decided not to bring her to Karen to get her sold, but rather just to get Karen to ride her a few times--just to see if, if, if things go well enough for me to afford it, I might keep her to prove that Con isn't the "freak" everyone calls him! (Really important if you believe in your breeding program, wouldn't you say--and an interesting dilemma, don't you think?)

Edited to add: And as I think about it, maybe that's why there are so few (no, not "none," but definitely a lot fewer) known "relatives" that compete in eventing. One relative doesn't really sell another (or help it follow the same path). In dressage and hunter-jumpers, that certainly helps (and helps breeders, too!), but the skepticism in eventing, I think, really shuts those possibilities down sometimes.
    Sportponies Unlimited
    Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SandyUHC:
    And all the ISHs!
    QUOTE]

Those lovely ISHs were the "almost TBs" I was referring to! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif
    I think it is changing in North America, I think that people do realize that in order to be more competitive at the higher levels you need to breed for eventing -
    that doesn't mean that they are turning away from TBs - or "almost TBs" (ie 3/4, 7/8, 15/16th TB) - but that they are choosing bloodlines and horses with proven success in eventing, or in producing event horses.
    And that doesn't mean that great horses won't continue to come off the track.. I certainly hope they always will. Those horses were bred for eventing too - it's just the breeders didn't know it! and they took a side-trip to the race track! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

I was recently speaking to a "mom" at the barn while her daughter was riding and she was saying how much she hates the idea of racing horses and its a terrible sport.

I told her as much as there are things I don't like about racing, I pray that it remains a force to be reckoned with because 1) can you IMAGINE the price of horses if there weren't several thousand TB's coming off the track or never making it there every year? 2) the racing lobbyist have the money to protect some of OUR rights and lobby for tax issues, protect us from PETA-type legislation etc etc.

Good lord! Could you imagine if the race world shut down? The U.S. mare base would dry up in a hurry, so not only would our riding horses sky rocket in price, so would breeding stock and babies. Stallion owners would suffer for lack of mares to bred to, so stud fees would have to increase... I am talking over a few years, but God forbid!
    B

Originally posted by btilton:
    I keep asking myself, when are the eventing people going to start breeding horses FOR eventing in the U.S.? The more emphasis placed on dressage and show jumping phases... and yet in the U.S. you either go to Ireland or GB, or you buy OTTB and hope for the best... seems like severe lack of planning in that industry.

B
    This kills me - on one hand you say "why aren't we breeding event horses" yet on the other hand you have a good event horse and choose to sell it as a hunter because it pays more.

Eventers will not pay the extremely high prices that hunters pay, so if you want to make lots of money as a breeder why would you breed event horses?

I'm all for breeding event horses, especially with the way the sport is going, however if prices get out of hand we can always go to the track and find something probably just as nice for a lot less!!

This kills me - on one hand you say "why aren't we breeding event horses" yet on the other hand you have a good event horse and choose to sell it as a hunter because it pays more.
    Ah... but I breed her to be a hunter and would rather see her around the show grounds anyway! If I were an eventer and ran in those circles, I might have been more inclined to sell her at a lower price to an eventer, just so she'd stay in my circles...

B

Julia
    http://www.futuresporthorses.co.uk
    Future Sport Horses - Breeding Future Champions

A good place to start, is here.

Edited to add...Julia's site is pretty darn informative as well...her herd reads like a who's who of eventing. BTW Julia...congrats on the H&H article!!
    Liz
    Lionwood Irish Draught Horses
    irishdraught.co