The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default L A Times article on question of slaughter of 1700 wild horses

There are questions in this and other articles concerning the relationship and "ties" between the killer buyer Tom Davis and Secretary of Interior Ken Salazar of Colorado. Questions are raised concerning the fate of 1,700 wild horses bought by Tom Davis

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/n...,3145414.story

Does anyone have more information on this? I had not heard of it until a couple of days ago.

My question is why does the goverment have to spend $80 million a year while we are in a depression, on feral horses. *will put flame suit on*

12 members found this post helpful.

The answer to your question, Couture TB, is so that cattle ranchers can have more and more subsidized grazing land and so that foreign companies can mine our mineral resources.

If the BLM would leave them alone AND keep private ranchers from fencing in the water sources on the public land their cattle are also running on, we wouldn't have this problem.

And if someone is getting ready to post that the poor horses are starving, please just go look at pictures of the literally thousands of horses rounded up over the past two years. They are almost without exception fat and shiny.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

10 members found this post helpful.

Getting my beer and popcorn ready. The issue of how poorly the BLM is managed and how closely tied they are to cattle ranchers is scary at best.

Just do a search using "Tom Davis mustangs" and you will find all kinds of tidbits such as this:

The BLM has sold Davis at least 1,700 wild horses and burros since 2009, agency records show -- 70 percent of the animals purchased through its sale program.

Like all buyers, Davis signs contracts promising that animals bought from the program will not be slaughtered and insists he finds them good homes.

But Davis is a longtime advocate of horse slaughter. By his own account, he has ducked Colorado law to move animals across state lines and will not say where they end up. He continues to buy wild horses for slaughter from Indian reservations, which are not protected by the same laws. And since 2010, he has been seeking investors for a slaughterhouse of his own.

"Hell, some of the finest meat you will ever eat is a fat yearling colt," he said. "What is wrong with taking all those BLM horses they got all fat and shiny and setting up a kill plant?"

http://www.propublica.org/article/mi...-from-the-govt

Whether one is pro or anti slaughter, at what point do we draw the line against dishonesty?
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

6 members found this post helpful.

Cattle are worth money and are food. Feral horses are not. The correct management answer is "whatever's cheapest for the feds in terms of their budget and keeping food prices down for the consumer." If turning them loose and letting them fend for themselves is cheapest, do that. If shooting them in the pens is cheapest, do that. We no longer have money to burn on waste.

7 members found this post helpful.

Not the mustangs in this article, but the Virginia City, Nevada mustangs are multiplying at a very high rate. My aunt lives on the outer edge of Reno; the wild horses were there all spring/summer and still there now. Usually they disappear in the summer because of the heat, and come down from the hills only in the winter.

Not just a few here and there - like 3-4 different herds now in their neighborhood.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Bureau of Land Management.

Says right in their name what their jobs are. Managing the feral horses is part of it. And an added part, not what it was designed for.

They manage the land for the native species (flora and fauna) on it while making sure whatever use of the land is also for the benefit of people.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

3 members found this post helpful.

I don't care what anyone feels about mustangs if it's a dirty deal with someone profiting who is in charge of the welfare of these horses they should be prosecuted. You can't take a position of custodial care and then turn around and behind the back of your contract and your job sell stock to make money, it's illegal.

Take horses out of the equation and say you were a Dept. of the Interior employee letting someone on public land to illegally shoot protected animals for money. If you're taking money and are circumventing the law you need to go to jail.

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Couture TB View Post
    My question is why does the goverment have to spend $80 million a year while we are in a depression, on feral horses. *will put flame suit on*
    I SO AGREE! Off to don flame suit, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Couture TB View Post
    It would appear to be so that the administration can give sweet-heart deals to its friends who make hundreds of thousands of dollars sending them to slaughter in Mexico. Clearly, the $80 million is not to protect the horses, or to preserve the "asset" or even to comply with the law.
    Last edited by Coyoteco; Nov. 15, 2012 at 09:28 AM.

7 members found this post helpful.

Actually, it depends on how long he keeps them. IIRC, all the BLM requires is that you keep the horses for a year. After that you can sell them to whomever and for whatever you please. So if he is "adopting" these horses from the BLM and keeping them for the required period and then shipping them to a slaughter plant, then he's breaking no laws.

Personally, I don't have a problem with sending the unadoptable horses to slaughter. The don't have the drugs in their system that folks have been complaining about so the meat isn't tainted. They have no other use, so why not set up a slaughter plant just for mustangs.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wireweiners View Post
    Actually, it depends on how long he keeps them. IIRC, all the BLM requires is that you keep the horses for a year. After that you can sell them to whomever and for whatever you please. So if he is "adopting" these horses from the BLM and keeping them for the required period and then shipping them to a slaughter plant, then he's breaking no laws.
    Not true, you cannot sell them to slaughter.

The BLM will contact you during the application review process to verify that your facilities meet the minimum requirements for the number of animals you want to adopt. When you adopt, the BLM requires you to sign a Private Maintenance and Care Agreement. This agreement includes the following statement:

"Under penalty of prosecution for violating 18 U.S.C. 1001, which makes it a Federal crime to make false statements to any agency of the United States, I hereby state that I have no intent to sell this wild horse or burro for slaughter or bucking stock, or for processing into commercial products, within the meaning of the Wild and Free-Roaming Horses and Burros Act, 16 U.S.C. 1331 et seq., and regulations 43 CFR 4700.0-5(c)."
    You must agree to sign this statement at the time of adoption.

Link to contract:

http://www.blm.gov/or/resources/whb/...n_4710-010.pdf
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

It was ridiculous to think that the BLM could just keep rounding up wild horses and maintaining those herds in semi-captivity indefinitely. It's a waste of money, time and resources.

10 members found this post helpful.

http://www.gazette.com/news/state-15...ild-buyer.html

Wild horse buyer goes uncharged due to state oversight

Two state agencies dropped the ball when it came to prosecuting a southern Colorado wild horse buyer who admitted to breaking state laws while shipping hundreds of federally protected wild horses.

The buyer, Tom Davis of La Jara, has not been charged nor investigated. The two state agencies involved blame each other, saying there is “confusion” and “a disconnect” about who should head an investigation.

A ProPublica report published in The Gazette in September detailed how Davis, a proponent of horse slaughter, purchased truckload after truckload of wild horses from the Bureau of Land Management. Davis said he then shipped the horses to what he called “good homes” all over the country. None of the horses have been accounted for. Wild horse advocates believe they illegally went to slaughter. Davis denies this.

Colorado law requires a state brand inspection when livestock is sold or shipped more than 75 miles. Brand records show Davis received more than 1,700 horses from the BLM, but shipped only 765. None of the horses are still in his possession, meaning almost 1,000 were shipped or sold without an inspection.

Davis admitted as much to ProPublica, saying he did not want brand inspectors to know where the horses were going. When the reporter suggested that was illegal, Davis replied, “Since when is anything in this country done legal?”

Each violation of the brand law is misdemeanor punishable by up to 18 months in jail and a $1,000 fine.

After the report was published, the Department of Interior and the Colorado brand inspection office said they would investigate Davis.

“The brand laws are some of the oldest laws in the state,” Brand Commissioner Chris Whitney said last fall. “They are there to prevent livestock theft and we take them very seriously.”
    He spoke to Davis in October and said Davis admitted to violating brand laws.

Whitney then called the 12th Judicial District Attorney, David Mahonee, in November to brief him on the case. He sent the D.A. a formal letter saying Davis had admitted to violating the law and “an investigation is warranted” but the brand inspection office was not equipped to do it.

Since then, no one has launched an investigation. The Gazette contacted officials this week about the matter.

Whitney said he was surprised to hear the case had been dropped because in November, Whitney said, Mahonee told him he would turn the matter over to the local Sheriff’s office.
    Mahonee said the brand commissioner misunderstood. He said he told the commissioner it is not the D.A.’s job to initiate investigations, and that Whitney would have to turn the matter over to a law enforcement agency to conduct an investigation.

“That’s the disconnect,” said Mahonee. “There is no evidence, just a letter saying there is something going on.”

The Department of Interior investigation is ongoing and a spokesman declined to provide details.

The brand commissioner vowed Thursday to rectify the oversight, saying if the D.A. would not get the sheriff to investigate, he would.

“Somewhere there is confusion,” Whitney said. “But clearly an investigation needs to be done.”

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

I hate the issues facing mustang management. I admit it; I am a romantic, have lived in the west almost my entire adult life and I love both the horses and those who have dedicated their lives to preserving them. Not that I don't see the hard choices, anyone who lives out here does, but people who see this as a purely economic issue are missing something spiritually.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ptownevt View Post
    And if someone is getting ready to post that the poor horses are starving, please just go look at pictures of the literally thousands of horses rounded up over the past two years. They are almost without exception fat and shiny.
    Amazing how much food an animal can find if they are not penned up.

If the herds need to be culled then cull them as in eliminate the worst specimens. Don't ship all you can catch off to the canners.
    Save Schrodinger's Cat!!!

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    Amazing how much food an animal can find if they are not penned up.

If the herds need to be culled then cull them as in eliminate the worst specimens. Don't ship all you can catch off to the canners.
    Oh no...that would be unAmerican ... don't allow natural selection or survival of the fittest to cloud our romantic view... foster the poor, the weak and carry on. Allow 'adoption' with contract and no legal consequence when unaccounted for
    'stock' is sold to a known KB and slaughter proponent.
    Ugh. What ever happened to ethics, accountability and equal application of the law. God forbid if an under employed mother writes a 'bad check' to feed her starving kids...she'll get jail time. But this man? he has friends in high places.

3 members found this post helpful.

Yep.
    The Justice system has two sets of laws. One for the taxpayers. Then another set (the Just-Us) system for the well connected.
    Save Schrodinger's Cat!!!

Why do we not make it legal to slaughter, process, and sell horse meat in America for all you pro slaughter folks???????????? I mean seriously. You are pro slaughter as long as you are not eating it, yes?

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by nashfad View Post
    Why do we not make it legal to slaughter, process, and sell horse meat in America for all you pro slaughter folks???????????? I mean seriously. You are pro slaughter as long as you are not eating it, yes?
    Is it not more like :since you are not eating it, what do you care?

It would probably surprise you how many people would buy it if it was available.

After all, along with every kind of deer and antilope, there is gator, squirrel, snake, cow, sheep, goat, pig, chicken, turkey, pheasant and what ever else flutters...snails, any kind of fish no matter how revolting their food habits are (catfish and Tilapia come to mind) raw or cooked....
    what's a little bit of horse in the grand scheme!

And while the common COTH consensus is that 'we' don't eat it, aside from certain ethnic pockets, those pockets are much bigger than they appear.....

I always found the 4H people a lot more honest aout what they are doing: Raise them with love, then eat them with pleasure.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.