The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: do you wrap legs for shipping

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • wrap every time

34 38.64%
  • wrap for long distance shipping

13 14.77%
  • never wrap

29 32.95%
  • other

12 13.64%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default leg protection when shipping

A recent trailer accident in my area prompts a question. Initially, after I saw the story, I ordered some shipping boots. This is because both horses appeared to be *okay* after, and they were clearly wearing the boots. I have learned however, that one was put down and one is in danger of needing surgery to repair lacerations on their lower legs. Maybe I should make a poll...
    Last edited by 2boys; Nov. 15, 2012 at 06:18 AM. Reason: :)

1 members found this post helpful.

Shipping boots are not leg wraps! You are asking one question, while commenting on a totally different method of "dressing a horse" for hauling by using shipping boots.

They don't do the same function for the horse, so they are NOT comparable in the same context.

1 members found this post helpful.

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

I dont wrap ever, and use shipping boots for long multi hour trips. I like shipping boots as they are easy and pretty hard to screw up.

I use shipping boots on almost every trip. He wears standing wraps on the way home from events with bell boots on the front and back.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

So, my guess is that you are implying that wraps serve a different function than boots? Could you elaborate on your initial thoughts??
    Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post
    Shipping boots are not leg wraps! You are asking one question, while commenting on a totally different method of "dressing a horse" for hauling by using shipping boots.

They don't do the same function for the horse, so they are NOT comparable in the same context.

I interpreted the poll as asking, "Do you use any sort of leg protection for shipping?," and answered accordingly. Did I misunderstand the question?

Nope, you are correct. I will change the title.
    Quote Originally Posted by Discobold View Post
    I interpreted the poll as asking, "Do you use any sort of leg protection for shipping?," and answered accordingly. Did I misunderstand the question?

Depends somewhat on the horse and how far I'm going. My older gelding always wore standing wraps and bell boots if we were going more than half an hour or so; I felt the support the wraps provided helped him be not quite as stiff after the "longer" trips. Otherwise, I generally put shipping boots on, with the exception of my current mare, who can somehow pull them off (?) so if she's going more than half an hour or so she gets standing wraps and bell boots on the fronts.

Generally, no. Wraps and boots add little but complexity. Professional shippers generally don't handle horses in wraps for this reason.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

I never wrap. but I always use Lende shipping boots that cover the knee and hock. I put polos on underneath when I travel to local shows/clinics. The polos help the boots stay up and snug them up. I know some people who would never wrap/use boots, but I've know horses that got hurt traveling w/o them.
    "You post all your drama on Facebook and get mad when people judge you? You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"

Short trips (a few miles) with quiet horses: nothing

Longer trips or non-quiet horses: shipping boots

Long trips if a horse has just finished competing: wraps

One can shoot holes in any method, with anecdotes to prove one's point, but we all sort of have to settle on a system that works within our own personal "safety" zone.
    Click here before you buy.

I only wrap if we are trailering next to a horse that has shoes and borium studs.
    Otherwise naked.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    Generally, no. Wraps and boots add little but complexity. Professional shippers generally don't handle horses in wraps for this reason.

G.
    Professional shippers drive better than me and have a much nicer trailer.

I do shipping boots 99.9% of the time. I'll sometimes wrap after a show if the horse is going to stay in once it gets home. I love the ease and coverage of shipping boots. Wraps are easier to wash for sure.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Only wrap for long distance shipping for horses with known tendon issues.

Only use shipping boots for known bad haulers.

I do bell boots on all 4 for my mare. Would do shipping boots but she kicks nonstop in the trailer with them on & stands so quiet you'd forget she's in the trailer without. Have to think the kicking is more likely to result in a preventable injury than the shipping boots. I think it's a horse/situation specific judgement call. They're fragile creatures at the best of times and in a collision where we have seatbelts, airbags, etc. to protect us, I don't think a couple layers of fabric will help that much. i know I'm not counting on a down jacket as my only safety device!

Shipping boots that cover the hocks always, at least behind (horse kicks on the trailer). Standing wraps on all four (with shipping boots over behind) if coming home from a show and horse is already wrapped or it's a longer trip ( > 2 hrs). I've had quiet horses in the past I would ship naked without hesitation, esp short distances, but our current horse has earned his bubble wrap!
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

I use bell boots on all 4 and wrap. I then use masking tape to ensure the wraps don't come undone in the trailer (also do this while wrapping overnight).

I take no chances with my girls legs.

I do own shipping boots in case of an emergency though.
    Last edited by Jocelynne; Nov. 15, 2012 at 01:48 PM.

I answered 'never' because I never wrap. But I do use shipping boots almost every time. The only time I don't is for a short ride in my parents XL straight load when my gelding is shipping by himself. He occasionally likes to attempt to kill himself loading and unloading on my trainers 5 horse head to head, so he gets shipping boots on all 4, plus bell boots.
    Wrapping only protects a small portion of the leg, takes a lot longer to put on/take off, is more laundry, and there's a chance of them coming off. If I wrap for other reasons, such as poulticing after an event, than I still put shipping boots on over the wraps.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

I don't put anything on my guy's legs. He rides untied in the trailer with only his halter and sometimes his cooler after a hunt.

I agree that it depends entirely on the horse, and who the horse is trailering with. My last mare would trailer perfectly calm alone, and I would leave her naked and untied with a halter. When we shipped with other horses, it was a whole different story, and she wore shipping boots.

My current horse, an OTTB gelding trailers like it's his job (which I guess it was) and he rides naked, unless we're in someone else's slant load. He doesn't balance as well inthe slant load, and then I use shipping boots.