The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by ChocolateHooves View Post
    One thing to point out is, when Reed Kessler was 14, she was already a veteran Pony Jock and was cleaning up the children's jumpers.
    In 2008 Reed, then age 13, won the high juniors at Devon (and even now with 4 solid years of winning at 1.45, was still considered to be a pretty inexperienced/risky rider for the team). OP, as great as your goals are, maybe reconsider them to be more realistic - for example, instead of shooting for Rio, strive to be doing 1.40 or 1.45 by then.

Quote Originally Posted by equineobsession6 View Post
    Soo I want to be a professional hunter/jumper rider... where should I start? I don't really have to worry about money, I have a ton saved up. I have 2 horses and they have really helped me, but i'm looking for a younger horse to get me to the top. I'm switching to A rated next spring and will be trying to show at least once a month, hopefully more. What shows should I go to once i'm doing good at A shows? The biggest show by me is in Iowa and it's AA and theres one in the cities that has Grand Prix and it's A rated. Should I show in Jumpers, Hunters, and Eq.?

Thank you(:
    God love ya and so many young riders, you make me smile... Keep at it, it will work out way it is meant to.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by iEquitate View Post
    In 2008 Reed, then age 13, won the high juniors at Devon (and even now with 4 solid years of winning at 1.45, was still considered to be a pretty inexperienced/risky rider for the team). OP, as great as your goals are, maybe reconsider them to be more realistic - for example, instead of shooting for Rio, strive to be doing 1.40 or 1.45 by then.
    This is NOT to shoot down OPs goal at all, but don't you have to be 18 to show at 1.60 per FEI rules? In three years and change OP would be 17...
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerJumper View Post
    This is NOT to shoot down OPs goal at all, but don't you have to be 18 to show at 1.60 per FEI rules? In three years and change OP would be 17...
    Assuming that she turned 14 after Jan 1st this year, her FEI age for 2016 would be 18 which would technically allow her to do the 1.60 events. FEI age is determined by the age you will turn that calendar year, which is what allowed Reed to do FEI classes even though her real age was only 17.

This lovely column from USHJA is a useful for this topic. It articulates "the journey". I wish every rider could have parents as wise and dedicated as Jacob Pope's parents:

Dear EAP: Thanks for the Leg Up! by Andy and Barbara Pope
    11/16/2012 3:07:17 PMPosted by SFrench

For us, it all started with a pony named “Ruby” and a trainer named Kim. They were an hour’s drive from our home, but came very highly recommended for a beginner rider – our son Jacob. And despite the fact that there were lots of places closer to home for us to take Jacob for riding lessons (including our own back yard), this emerged as the place that we had to go. In retrospect, it was clearly the right thing to do, but it was also just the beginning of going the extra mile, literally in this case, to do the best that we could do to support our son’s interests – interests that quickly became passions, and now seem to be life-long pursuits. As parents, we all do that we can to support our kids’ passions, and this became it for us…

[Here's the link to read the article in full]
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Nov. 18, 2012 at 03:16 PM. Reason: remove full text of article (copyright)
    winter hoffman

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by iEquitate View Post
    Assuming that she turned 14 after Jan 1st this year, her FEI age for 2016 would be 18 which would technically allow her to do the 1.60 events. FEI age is determined by the age you will turn that calendar year, which is what allowed Reed to do FEI classes even though her real age was only 17.
    Ahhhh, I get it. Thanks for the clarification
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
    This is rather mean. She is 14, for God's sake, and it doesn't sound like she was raised by a "professional horse family" as many of the people listed here have been. I think she is asking a ligit question and looking for information. I know a semi BNT who didnt even sit on a horse until he was 14. Said trainer runs a successful h/j barn and has wins at Indoors and WEF.
    Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    This is rather mean. She is 14, for God's sake, and it doesn't sound like she was raised by a "professional horse family" as many of the people listed here have been. I think she is asking a ligit question and looking for information. I know a semi BNT who didnt even sit on a horse until he was 14. Said trainer runs a successful h/j barn and has wins at Indoors and WEF.
    That's actually super mean. The kid was respectful, and while her goals may not seem realistic to some, shooting her down by comparing her to a mocking YouTube video about an idiot is VERY unkind. She's FOURTEEN. And for all you know, Atlas, she could ride the pants off all of us and she just hasn't had the chance to do so yet.

OP, best of luck to you and keep dreaming and working towards your dreams.

Yeah, Atlas Shrugged wasn't comparing the OP to the video. She was sharing with the OP the fun times BO's get to encounter. Maybe try reading for comprehension before you jump all over someone for being a super meany doody head.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    Yeah, Atlas Shrugged wasn't comparing the OP to the video. She was sharing with the OP the fun times BO's get to encounter. Maybe try reading for comprehension before you jump all over someone for being a super meany doody head.
    All the post said was "So you want to run your own stable?" then the video. No indicator whatsoever that it was meant in fun. A little hard to read for comprehension when there's one sentence to read.

If it was meant in fun, and not to be mean to the OP, then Atlas has my sincerest apologies.

Thanks guys(:

I'm working towards Maclay and YR. (:

OP, read the Luke Olsen thread (if you haven't) - and the COTH links.

Good luck to you...

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Good luck, OP! I'm a gazillion years older than you, but I remember that spirit. Like anything else, you will get out of it exactly what you put into it.
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding