The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Luke Olsen, or how we respond to dreamers

Well, now no one has to compose long thoughtful replies to all the kids who ask how to succeed in this world. We can just say "Have you read about Luke Olsen?"

Persevere in the face of challenges, be respectful, bust your butt, never skip an opportunity to learn, and be appreciative of everything that comes your way.

What a nice article about what seems to be a very nice and determined young man. I expect he'll be very successful in life.
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

8 members found this post helpful.

He is the nicest person.

My horse was stabled at the BEC for a clinic and I came in one morning to wonder, "Huh, why is my saddle pad hung up over here? I thought I left it hanging on my horse's stall." But I thought I had just forgotten where I had hung it and thought nothing further of it.

Later in the day Luke came down the aisle and said he had checked and topped off waters at night for every horse in the barn (ours were NOT in the BEC's care, we were just renting stalls, so he completely did not need to do this), and had noticed that my horse had pulled his black baby pad into his black bucket at night, something which would be easy to miss if you were just quickly sticking a hose in and topping off buckets for someone else's horse. But he noticed, and pulled the pad out and hung it up to dry out of reach.

I will never forget that he did that for a horse that wasn't even his responsibility, and paid careful enough attention to notice.

20 members found this post helpful.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Terrific to hear about someone who is "doing it right," and finding some opportunities as a result. I agree - that is a guy who is going to be very successful. Kudos to his parents as well, as they clearly did a great job raising him.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

7 members found this post helpful.

It was a fabulous article and I agree it sounds like he will be very successful in whatever he chooses to do in life.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thumbs up Check out the article

Hello,

Thanks for the compliments on the article.

For those of you who haven't seen it yet, here's a link to the article in question: http://www.chronofhorse.com/LukeOlsen. I hope you'll take a few minutes and read about this really special young man.

I intended to talk to Luke for a short article for the magazine, and we ended up chatting for two hours on the phone. His story was so inspiring I wrote the initial article for the Nov. 19 & 26 issue of the Chronicle then wrote the separate, longer piece for you to enjoy on the web as well a commentary for the magazine.

Think young horsemen are spoiled or have no sense of horsemanship? Here's what Luke had to say about his goals:

“I don’t just want to ride, I want to get my horse ready for the medal finals class,” he said. “I want to watch the other rounds, tack up my horse, towel him off, and ride him to the ring for a big class. I want to have a connection with him, taking care of him afterward and knowing I can go back myself and wrap him and unbraid him and do whatever it takes.”

Hope you'll check it out.

Thanks,
    Mollie Bailey
    Editorial Staffer, The Chronicle of the Horse

12 members found this post helpful.

Great story! We always hear stories about the winners but this was a great story about a kid working hard to make it to the finals. He sounds like a wonderful person.

2 members found this post helpful.

What a great article, he sounds like a wonderful young man, as well as horseman. Good for him to work "from the ground up" to get where he wants to go

I have to toot my husbands own horn---he was Luke's advisor at Lawrence Academy, and helped Luke develop and direct this entirely innovative independent program for his senior year. Luke came to our farm in Pepperell, and rode our horses for a semester as his athletic commitment for school, and we introduced him to area horse show barns. Luke and his family are great people. Congratulations all!

12 members found this post helpful.

Wow he sounds like a great guy.

Loved this article! What a great kid!

a true winner through and through.

2 members found this post helpful.

What a refreshing story.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Mollie Bailey View Post
    Think young horsemen are spoiled or have no sense of horsemanship? Here's what Luke had to say about his goals:

“I don’t just want to ride, I want to get my horse ready for the medal finals class,” he said. “I want to watch the other rounds, tack up my horse, towel him off, and ride him to the ring for a big class. I want to have a connection with him, taking care of him afterward and knowing I can go back myself and wrap him and unbraid him and do whatever it takes.”

Hope you'll check it out.

Thanks,
    Mollie Bailey
    Editorial Staffer, The Chronicle of the Horse
    Luke sounds like a nice young man with his priorities straight, so don't take this as a negative towards him, but I find it so sad that this statement is one that folks are oohing and aahing over. Really??? Has the level of horsemanship sunk so far these days with the kids showing the the world of Eq that this is considered so unusual?? The H/J world is not one I play in, so excuse me if this an extremely naive question.

Just south of the Arctic Circle...seriously

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Luke sounds like a nice young man with his priorities straight, so don't take this as a negative towards him, but I find it so sad that this statement is one that folks are oohing and aahing over. Really??? Has the level of horsemanship sunk so far these days with the kids showing the the world of Eq that this is considered so unusual?? The H/J world is not one I play in, so excuse me if this an extremely naive question.
    Sadly, I think it has. I'm guilty as well, though I'm still pretty new to actual horsecare and I'm working on it. I see a lot of people who don't know how to wrap horses or clean a sheath.

Luke sounds like a wonderful young man. I hope other younger riders get the same bug from him.
    “Thoroughbreds are the best. They’re lighter, quicker, and more intelligent.” -George Morris

This is why DD spends her summers as free labor for her trainer. Not for the saddle time, but to learn real horsemanship. At 14 she should be able to wrap, hot walk, clean stalls, clean tack, talk nutrition, recognize a bit and tell you what it does, recognize injury or illness, help set a course, etc..sadly, many of her "friends" sneer at manual labor. They ride then hit the pool. I just remind her that she will go so much farther in life with a good work ethic.
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

Default Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    I agree that this is not unusual to my way of thinking. I am entirely hands-on, and can't imagine doing it any other way.

I'm really impressed at how this kid took the initiative to make the necessary connections. With drive like that, he will be successful at anything. He also seems like a true horseman.

It is important to note the support system he has in his parents and Lawrence Academy.

I worked with Luke a few years ago when I was a working student at an event farm in Groton that he and his sister were riding at. Both Luke, his sister, and his parents were good people and were extremely nice. He is nice kid and I am glad that he is making his dreams come true.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I knew Luke when he was in middle school and can attest to the fact that he truly is a wonderful young man!
    So many horses!

Fabulous article about an obviously fabulous young man! What an inspiration.

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast