The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Anyone know if "Fixing Online Entries" is on the agenda for the annual meeting?
    Click here before you buy.

Simple solution really... we kindly ask that organizers/secretaries of events post accepted/or w missing info entries regularly, not after the closing date... so many do that unfortunately. If you could check your accepted status early you could act! Just a thought....

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick O View Post
    Simple solution really... we kindly ask that organizers/secretaries of events post accepted/or w missing info entries regularly, not after the closing date... so many do that unfortunately. If you could check your accepted status early you could act! Just a thought....
    I can't speak to the USEA software, but I know exactly how difficult and time consuming it is to create the entry status page using the Event Entries software. NOT. Five minutes is a stretch. If your internet service is slow. Events that fail to keep entry status current, and secretaries who post things about incomplete entries and then don't bother to update entry status pages make. me. crazy. It just isn't that hard.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by pegasusmom View Post
    I can't speak to the USEA software, but I know exactly how difficult and time consuming it is to create the entry status page using the Event Entries software. NOT. Five minutes is a stretch. If your internet service is slow. Events that fail to keep entry status current, and secretaries who post things about incomplete entries and then don't bother to update entry status pages make. me. crazy. It just isn't that hard.
    Finally someone with firsthand experience. Thanks PM

Just an FYI (from a show secretary)... the USEA cuts and mails a check to the secretary ~2 weeks after an Xentry was submitted and paid for with a credit card. This check is for all Xentries made to that show for the period of one week. So it may have several different entries bundled into one check.

And one assumes that USEA sends along with the check a list of those entries it covers?

Quote Originally Posted by pegasusmom View Post
    And one assumes that USEA sends along with the check a list of those entries it covers?
    AND as soon as an entry is made a confirmation email is sent to the entrant, with confirmation that payment was made AND a link to each document in .pdf
    Is this same confirmation sent to the organizer? If not it should be!

It's absurd that we are instructed to mail anything when it can easily be emailed, and is already being sent at least to the entrant. I just used the Xentry system and forwarded my confirmation email to the organizer and attached a .pdf of the signature page - done - entry complete and no mail. But why isn't that done by Xentry?

I've never organized an event and imagine it is challenging and frustrating but what happened to the OP is ridiculous and could have easily been avoided even with the system as it exists today.

I just used the Xentry system and forwarded my confirmation email to the organizer and attached a .pdf of the signature page - done - entry complete and no mail.
    Unless the show specifically indicates that it accepts electronic entries, you still have to print and mail your entry form to the secretary.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Unless the show specifically indicates that it accepts electronic entries, you still have to print and mail your entry form to the secretary.
    Understood - I just think it is absurd for any organizer to opt to literally require mailed entries, so archaic. I was instructed by Xentry to mail my documents but fortunately the organizer accepted my e-mailed documents. It is so simple to be paperless (more organized) with the system as it exists today -with no changes. Unless the USEA is raping the event with fees for the service I can't see a good reason. If that is the case - shame on the USEA. I paid an eleven dollar fee on top of my entry fee to pay by credit card. This exceeds the standard 3% fee charged by the cc companies - so they are getting it from me. Are they gouging the events too?

[QUOTE=zap;6673507]AND as soon as an entry is made a confirmation email is sent to the entrant, with confirmation that payment was made AND a link to each document in .pdf
    Is this same confirmation sent to the organizer? If not it should be!

No. The USEA only mails a check with the name of the rider. The actual entry information needs to be downloaded, which isn't hard but still has bugs. However, not everyone is as computer savvy or willing as us COTH people.

So unfortunate for this poster was a compounding of unfortunate events...in that the event does not use the electronic system, her hard copy disappeared into USPS oblivion, and there was no online way to look up the status of her entry until just before the show.

I think the most basic checks and balances aka accounting principles were not adhered to here.

They rec'd money that they could not/did not balance with an entry. It sounds to me like they need to make this right for the OP.

They rec'd money that they could not/did not balance with an entry. It sounds to me like they need to make this right for the OP.
    Exactly WHY would the secretary not put the OP at the very first on the waiting list if he/she could not directly schedule the OP into the competition?

The only way in my opinion the secretary could reasonably say, 'too bad', was if the secretary had reconciled $$ in with entries and had contacted anyone whose entries had NOT arrived by mail, so that any and everyone who might not have used the buggy entry system 'incorrectly' would have a chance to rectify, BEFORE the closing date.

Obviously, the taking of money (receipted) by the event (or USEA) on a particular date shows both intent to enter and timing of entry (if you are using date/time of entries received as a criterium for accepting entries and ordering a waiting list) of an entry.
    In the order of oversubscription, it is not difficult to have a policy where all monies will be received, entries received, and all received on opening date (or its equivalent of postmarked date) go into a lottery, those not 'entered' will be waitlisted according to the same lottery, anyone not entered has the option of having money refunded and taken off the waitlist.

Anyway, no real excuse for the OP to not be at least first on the waiting list- because there is not any real excuse for cashing the entry check (or processing the credit card) without at the VERY least calling, emailing, snail-mailing the entrant that the entry was incomplete.

My credit card company is REALLY good about problems with charges to the card that are not mine, or if I have a problem with a transaction.
    I would do my best to get someone (not a first-line phone-answerer, but a department head) at my credit card company to communicate with USEA, if not the show secretary. (Yes, they have a really REALLY thankless job, so I might pass on that one.) You can surely take a nonrefundable deposit, but taking entry money without at the very least ending up in a lotterty or on a waitlist just means they done took yer money without doin' what they oughtta...and many credit card companies have enough clout to make it better.

2 members found this post helpful.

[QUOTE=ride3day;6675329]
    Quote Originally Posted by zap View Post
    So unfortunate for this poster was a compounding of unfortunate events...in that the event does not use the electronic system, her hard copy disappeared into USPS oblivion, and there was no online way to look up the status of her entry until just before the show.
    This is not quite true. The event rec'd a check from the USEF with the entrants name on it. Since the event cashed the check I think that is all there is to it. If they couldn't find her surely the USEF knows who s/he is?

I would suggest to events that they get better accounting systems so that when $$ comes in there is an automatic call/email/whatever done to the entrant.....

I find it ridiculous that the OP is even having to deal with this. What it is about the horse world where customer service somehow is the last thing on any list?

This is an unfortunate experience. I have been competing at Ram Tap since 2007 and the accepted rider list never posted earlier than a week and many times only days before show time. That didn't leave much time to fix errors and in your case left you out of the competition. Frustrating to say the least! After talking to the organizers of Fresno County Horse Park (formerly Ram Tap) I found that they are very motivated to improve on these issues. They have told me that they will send out an email confirming the receipt of an entry and inform the competitor of any pending entry issues. I thought that was share worthy news!