The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Paying for on-line show entries??

I received an email from Horseshowing.com this afternoon saying they are now charging to do on-line entries. Are they really doing this or is it just a scam??

You have submitted one or more entries to shows while the service has been free of charge this past year. Effective December 1, 2012 the cost for submitting entries to horse shows will be $1 per show day. A 1 day show will cost $1, a 2 day show $2, a 3 day show $3, a 4 day show $4, a five or more day show $5. The minimum purchase will be 5 show days, any unused days will remain available in your account. We believe this is a fair pricing model for the service.

There are quite a few shows online right now that can still be entered at no cost before December 1st. If you submit your entries before the deadline you will not be charged.

Another change that is coming December 1st is that some shows will be allowing you the option of using a credit card to pay any minimum deposit on your entries at the time of submission. This payment would go directly to the show management and would eliminate the need to mail a check for those shows that offer the use of credit cards. Whether or not the show allows credit cards is entirely the show management's decision, this is something we can facilitate but have no control over.

Thank You,

Administrator
    www.Horseshowing.com

I have no idea if it's legitimate but I would not send anyone my credit card number unless I was completely sure I knew where it was going. What happens when you go on the actual website?
    Hopefully someone else will know more!

If it is legit- and it may well be - personally I don't think it is a bad or exorbitant fee for the service. Others charge considerably more than this convenience. I like this web site and service quite a bit and you always have the option of just sending your entry directly to the horse show secretary to avoid the fee.

This service also charges the horse show to use their service, so this seems to be getting money from both sides...
    www.easternprospects.com not updated Time for a total rehaul
    www.sherylwilkins.zenfolio.com

Quote Originally Posted by wilkins2 View Post
    This service also charges the horse show to use their service, so this seems to be getting money from both sides...
    Horseshowing.com is $10/show day to the horse show which is not unreasonable considering that it allows the show to effortlessly provide results, schedule, class counts, and order of go to their exhibitors. There has been a fee to the show since the beginning of the web site, many years before online entry even existed.

I am not sure I quite understand. Is it $1 per horse entered per day or is it $1 per trainer entering his or her clients in per day?

Either way, its not that the fee is excessive; it is that the fee is an inconvenience. I think people would prefer to fax or mail in their entries, rather than get out their credit card to pay the fee.

I do like the website, it makes it much more convenient to judge timing of divisions, plus see results, etc. I wish more shows in my area would use it, or any other system like it. However, we are already paying more and more fees to horse show, so I can see it as an extra perk that is not necessarily necessary.

In my opinion, it is a cost of doing business for the horse show, not another random fee for the customer. If they want to charge a convenience fee for using a credit card to put down a deposit -- no problem, totally understandable. But I do have a problem with them requiring entrants to pay a convenience fee to use their program to submit entries, especially when one show recently required entrants to use the program to submit entries?

Why don’t they try to offset the cost of the site by getting advertisers? Horseshowsonline.com seems to do ok with it. Maybe they need to re-think their fee structure. I think the random fee is going to backfire on them.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by sportdata View Post
    Horseshowing.com is $10/show day to the horse show which is not unreasonable considering that it allows the show to effortlessly provide results, schedule, class counts, and order of go to their exhibitors. There has been a fee to the show since the beginning of the web site, many years before online entry even existed.
    I think it's a bit like Amazon.com charging me for submitting my order online, which they are clever enough not to do. But then again, they don't have a mileage rule...
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm so glad someone posted this, I was planning to post it myself if I didn't see it. I currently use horseshowing.com for entries and they are losing a customer!!!!!

1. This is double dipping, IMO. They are already charging the show for this.
    2. Its 1 entry for 1 show. Who cares if the show is 1 day or 15 days, I shouldn't have to pay more to enter, usually I'm doing the same 2-4 classes regardless of how long the show is.
    3. I enter for my whole barn, now I need to go and collect $1-$5 from everyone?
    4. I don't need another nickel and dime fee to horse show. Early entries save management time, and they want me to come to their show, so I shouldn't have ANOTHER fee to just enter.

I wrote back to them immediately and told them I won't be paying. I think I'll go back to the fax machine. I also plan to email the big secretaries in the NJ area my feelings. Please please if you agree, don't use the service and let management at horse shows, horseshowing.com and everyone else not to use the service until they revoke the fees!!!!!

5 members found this post helpful.

I am a Show Secretary who uses ShowPro with all its wonderful advantages over other software used around the country. HorseShowing.com is such a valuable tool to keep Exhibitors informed of Orders of Go - Results - etc etc etc. It is my understanding that Equestrian Connect charges $8 an entry and I can tell you it does not come close to what Online Entries does for a Show Secretary. Sport Data Inc creator has worked tirelessly on making entries easy for all. When you submit your entry to the show, online entry enters you in the classes you have chosen not to mention when I print the entry out of my computer I CAN READ IT! It saves time - both mine and the user. It is well worth the money. Dawn James - Show Secretary. PS In 1984 I did all the money for Motor City/Detroit by hand - I'm still having that nightmare!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnJames View Post
    I am a Show Secretary who uses ShowPro with all its wonderful advantages over other software used around the country. HorseShowing.com is such a valuable tool to keep Exhibitors informed of Orders of Go - Results - etc etc etc. It is my understanding that Equestrian Connect charges $8 an entry and I can tell you it does not come close to what Online Entries does for a Show Secretary. Sport Data Inc creator has worked tirelessly on making entries easy for all. When you submit your entry to the show, online entry enters you in the classes you have chosen not to mention when I print the entry out of my computer I CAN READ IT! It saves time - both mine and the user. It is well worth the money. Dawn James - Show Secretary. PS In 1984 I did all the money for Motor City/Detroit by hand - I'm still having that nightmare!
    Ok but when your clients ( the exhibitors ) say they won't use the online entry system because 'why pay for something I can do for free' then it's worthless.

Sure the software is great and as a secretary I'll continue to use Show Pro and I'll even pay the $10 to put the show on Horseshowing but I do not expect many of my clients to make entries online.
    Expecting clients to cough up $$ to make life easier for the secretary is really sort of silly.

I agree it's nice to be able to read the data.
    But there are other solutions. Create an interactive pdf document that emails the raw data back to the secretary is one method. At least you can read the info. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by S A McKee View Post
    Expecting clients to cough up $$ to make life easier for the secretary is really sort of silly.
    It makes life easier for the clients also. If that weren't true you'd be right, it would be silly.

Quote Originally Posted by sportdata View Post
    It makes life easier for the clients also. If that weren't true you'd be right, it would be silly.
    It's all perception of value.
    If the clients are saying it isn't worth it to pay $4 a horse per AA show then ease of use doesn't seem to be perceived as enough value to offset the cost.
    'Why pay for something that's free' seems to be the deciding factor.

For clients that show multiple horses per week the $$ add up really really fast.

And it's more than silly to ignore your clients.

If the on line entry was easy to use, I'd possibly agree. Every time I use it, I find it annoying. And heaven help you if you miss that last submit button. The secretary can see that you created an entry, but it isn't really there. If you get a nice secretary, you don't get charged a post entry.

I understand that sports data is in business to feed their family and are not doing this for the sheer joy of playing horse show, but the exhibitors are pesky small fee'd to death. If they want to charge us for the service, make it a one time annual fee with a per use for the people who do not show often.

Quote Originally Posted by S A McKee View Post
    It's all perception of value.
    That's very true. It's a very straightforward decision and people will decide. People that have used the service may go back to other methods and after doing that their perception of value may change. It's up to the individual though, I don't think the show has or should have any expectations about this.

Quote Originally Posted by sopha View Post
    And heaven help you if you miss that last submit button.

...the exhibitors are pesky small fee'd to death. If they want to charge us for the service, make it a one time annual fee with a per use for the people who do not show often.
    When you create the entry it goes into your account and you submit it from there, it's also where you monitor the accepted status of the entry.

You can purchase as many show days as you want and they will remain on your account until you use them, it's not like you have to pull out your card every time you enter unless you prefer to do it that way.

Seems reasonable. I don't understand why people seem to think that if it's on the internet it should be free. Software takes time/effort/money to develop, and trained people behind it. For me it's definitely worth the convenience. And thank you horseshowing.com for providing this service!
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

If the online entry makes the show secretary's job easier then I think I would expect the office fee to decline by the same amount as the online entry fee charge.

3 members found this post helpful.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by kcmel View Post
    Seems reasonable. I don't understand why people seem to think that if it's on the internet it should be free. Software takes time/effort/money to develop, and trained people behind it. For me it's definitely worth the convenience. And thank you horseshowing.com for providing this service!

Of course it does, but shuffling through paperwork and doing stuff by hand takes time/money/effort as well.

It has nothing to do with being on the internet or the developer of the product. If a business chooses to use X process/software as an alternative to an older process (potentially more labor intensive) and it costs money to make this change, I would assume in a normal (non-protected, relatively free market) environment that this was a capital investment that in the long run would make the business:
    a) more efficient,
    b) more desirable choice among potential customers,
    c) save money through decreased labor/faster processing, while
    d) increasing business/income.

An approach rarely seen in the rest of the business world is "Hey, I got a nifty new process to help you buy my product that makes my life tons easier and maybe yours too! By the way, it's gonna cost you..."

Seriously, what if your cell phone provider told you that they had a great system to track your minutes, text messages, data usage, access your bill, pay online, send emails or chats Customer Service to solve service issues you might have, get e-billing and check out all the perks you are eligible for ... and it would only cost you $10/month more?

Hellz no? Because in the free market, that $hit just does not fly.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

2 members found this post helpful.

I just did an entry last night and wasn't asked to pay anything. I too did receive an email a few days ago from horseshowing.com and just ignored it.

Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    I just did an entry last night and wasn't asked to pay anything. I too did receive an email a few days ago from horseshowing.com and just ignored it.
    Why would you be asked to pay?
    The email ( which is quoted in the OP ) states that the fee starts 12/1
    Duh??

So I guess it's fine to ignore the email but wait till 12/1 LMAO