The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Feed Question- Plat. Performance & TC30

I was instructed to feed my weanlings Enrich 32. I have always been more of a TC fan than Purina. If I change over to TC30, would it be ok to still feed the Platinum Performance? I don't want to flood my youngsters with too many vitamins/minerals. They are currently on a hay diet. Also is it ok to only feed the TC30 or should another feed be supplemented? TIA

No, if you're feeding the proper amount of a RB, don't add a v/m supplement.

If they're only eating hay, then yes, I would add the correct amount of a RB. If that makes them fat, THEN you can think about mixing - maybe 1/2 the serving of the RB and add a 1/2 serving of the PP, for example.

I am feeding the TC 30 to my weanling, and also using up the mare and foal feed she was previously eating. So her current diet consists of approx 1 1/2 lbs of TC 30 (per day) and 1 lb of the mare and foal pelleted feed. So, a total of 2 1/2 lbs/ day. I hope I am doing it right. I'm feeding less than the instructions say to, as per my vet's advice. She gets free choice local grass hay. She is in very good weight; in fact possibly on the plump side.

That's about the same amount of feed that my weaners are receiving. I have one that's an air fern and can exist on crumbs and one that is a typical teenager...you can't fill her up. I love the PP. My horses at the track on on it and they certainly handle the heat better than the ones that are not on PP. + they look wonderful.

My filly will be weaned in about 3 weeks, and the BM has all of her mares and babies on TC Growth; right now the filly is simply "sharing" mom's feed--she is 4 1/2 months old, and she isn't getting her own separate ration.

Once she's weaned, the BM will feed her an appropriate amount of the TC Growth, I'm assuming this will be all she will need (in terms of concentrates) until she is 2?

I was thinking of adding a small amount of supplemental MSM to her grain ration, since the studies show that it can be helpful as an anti-inflammatory for growing babies--like everyone else, I'm scared of OCD.

Thoughts? (I can't imagine a downside.) Is there any need for supplementation if the grain portion is on the meager side? BM doesn't want to feed too much (and I agree, fast growth is to be discouraged!), and the filly will be getting alfalfa hay in addition to pasture. I'm hoping she throws out some hay in the baby's pasture when the grass dies, they are out for 9-10 hours if the weather is cold, then stalled overnight. Filly's mom is kind of an air fern, especially if she is getting plenty of forage (they are both WBs.)

Sorry to go off tangent from the OP's original question!
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doolittle View Post
    Once she's weaned, the BM will feed her an appropriate amount of the TC Growth, I'm assuming this will be all she will need (in terms of concentrates) until she is 2?
    Yes, TC Growth is quite appropriate for her for several years, and really, even as an adult if that's what works for her

I was thinking of adding a small amount of supplemental MSM to her grain ration, since the studies show that it can be helpful as an anti-inflammatory for growing babies--like everyone else, I'm scared of OCD.
    Not a bad idea

Thoughts? (I can't imagine a downside.) Is there any need for supplementation if the grain portion is on the meager side? BM doesn't want to feed too much (and I agree, fast growth is to be discouraged!), and the filly will be getting alfalfa hay in addition to pasture. I'm hoping she throws out some hay in the baby's pasture when the grass dies, they are out for 9-10 hours if the weather is cold, then stalled overnight. Filly's mom is kind of an air fern, especially if she is getting plenty of forage (they are both WBs.)

Sorry to go off tangent from the OP's original question!
    As long as she's not on a straight alf diet, things should be fine. Define "meager" ration for the TC Growth. If she should be getting 5lb and she's only getting 4, that's ok. But if she should be getting 6 and she's only getting 2 because otherwise she gets fat, then you'd be better off switching to the TC30 or the TC Lite at the recommended amount.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Yes, TC Growth is quite appropriate for her for several years, and really, even as an adult if that's what works for her

Not a bad idea

As long as she's not on a straight alf diet, things should be fine. Define "meager" ration for the TC Growth. If she should be getting 5lb and she's only getting 4, that's ok. But if she should be getting 6 and she's only getting 2 because otherwise she gets fat, then you'd be better off switching to the TC30 or the TC Lite at the recommended amount.
    Thanks JB
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

I have ponies that get fat easily. I feed TC growth to mom and baby, then after weaning I use TC 30 and platinum performance. They always look great.