The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default TC senior bag is hard as a rock!

Is this normal? I know it's sometimes hard to scoop, but the bag was so hard, the feed broke up into chunks, and I had to destroy the bag to get the feed into the bin!

Smelled fine and the pony ate like normal, so I'm assuming they compress them so tight so they save space and they're Eco friendly, but wow....

Its normal, especially in winter.

My trick is to stand the bag on its side and kneel on it until it gives. Usually works. We switched to the the new Triple Crown TLC and both DH and DD are so much happier now when I pick up feed.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Welcome to winter!

I drop the bag a few times until it gives. One of those gardening hand rakes in the feed bin will also come in handy!

Oh man, ok, this explains it! Ive only started using it since Sept, so I'm new to the methods of breaking it up!

It's a BITCH to carry too. Like carrying a brick wall around.

Our Fibregized does the same thing in the winter--my mom keeps a screwdriver in the trash can that she uses as a chisel. By January she gives up and moves the can into the heated bathroom.
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

Default They aren't supposed to be rock hard?

Gee I like carrying them when I can get one arm under the corner and they stay there, instead of trying to slither through my arms.

I leave it in the bag and rock it up on its corner and then kneel on it, sort of as if it were a giant brown sugar bag. As it gets lower I'll pick up the bag and drop it on it's corner and kick it, then scoop off the top. It's always been real stiff and I was surprised when I first started buying it, I guess back in September? Didn't seem like a good candidate for a feed bin - we've bought the local molassed feed and the % of molasses isn't always the same so we've dealt with tipping the barrel and beating on it to break up cold feed before.

This might be interesting when it gets down into the teens.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I think something has changed with the Senior Feed because even on warm days it is more brick like. My tack room is heated and the bags are still clumped together.

The horses are eating it just fine even my picky older guy.
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"

Quote Originally Posted by FitToBeTied View Post
    I think something has changed with the Senior Feed because even on warm days it is more brick like. My tack room is heated and the bags are still clumped together.

The horses are eating it just fine even my picky older guy.
    I've been feeding it for about 5 years and it has always been like that. It's all about how it is stacked in large quantities (e.g. on the truck from the manufacturer) - if you get a bag from the bottom of a big stack it will be hard as a rock no matter what the temperature.

My feed store guys will often flip the bags up and down on the pavement on each end before they load in my car. That's my favorite solution.

Otherwise I do it when I get it home, although they have a knack of getting the entire contents nicely broken up. Never get lazy and put a big chunk in your feed bin thinking you can break it up with the scoop in the winter. It never works, even when accompanied by choice swear words.

Still....I love the feed so I will manage.

I tried one bag. I gave up and switched. I didn't like starting my day fighting to get it scooped out.