The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The abscess was cultured for strangles - would swabbing him be different?

The only thing is that he's been here for longer than the strangles incubation period. Unless one of my horses gave it to him, which is possible since they're all old and have been/had just about everything...

He is eating treats, hay, and finished his ration of grain tonight for the first time in a couple of days. Temp tonight after banamine at 3:30PM was 97.7 (think he was about to evacuate when I rudely interrupted! LOL)

He has no large glands, he's bright eyed (finally), alert and eager to get out of his stall. I walked him around a couple of times today - he nibbled a bit on the short grass and got a bit obstinate, which confirms he feels better. I'm hoping his fever continues to stay low - will check it again at 11:30PM.

Thanks, all -

1 members found this post helpful.

The fever broke pretty quickly after the Doxy was started, on the horse at my barn.

Yay! His fever has broken, though the vet said another spike is not out of the question. He's out with his buddies for the first time in three days.

Bad news is that if this was/is strangles, the vet said we'll know as it would come back with a vengeance in the next day or so. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy's Girl View Post
    The abscess was cultured for strangles - would swabbing him be different?

The only thing is that he's been here for longer than the strangles incubation period. Unless one of my horses gave it to him, which is possible since they're all old and have been/had just about everything...
    I'm not sure if culturing the abscess vs. swabbing his nose would make a difference. I suppose it is also possible that the two were unrelated and just coincidental. Very odd. I do know that not all horses respond to Strangles the same way, so even if he is not "classic" for it, it is still a possibility. I guess I personally would swab it if I was in a boarding facility because I would want to know that I'm not exposing other people's horses to it. If my horses were at home, I would probably wait it out longer and see what happens.

FineAlready, I agree that if this was a boarded horse, I wouldn't leave much to chance. As it is, he's home, and the only other horses I have here are retired and have been exposed to just about every bug known to man.

He seems fine for now, and will keep a close eye on him!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy's Girl View Post
    FineAlready, I agree that if this was a boarded horse, I wouldn't leave much to chance. As it is, he's home, and the only other horses I have here are retired and have been exposed to just about every bug known to man.

He seems fine for now, and will keep a close eye on him!
    Yep, that's what I would do in your situation too. Good luck!

Continued jingles
    though it sounds as if he's well on his way to feeling better