The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

many many a show barn I've worked at uses the electrogroom. We too curry first, then vacuum, then stiff brush, then towel. That regimen every day kept the coats looking fabulous.

I just use a $30 shop vac.

2 members found this post helpful.

The barn where my D rides uses a shop vac and it works well and the horses are not bothered at all by it. Seems like a great alternative for the price.

I once bought an electrogroom for $20 at a garage sale. Dude totally didn't know what he had.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by hrford View Post
    many many a show barn I've worked at uses the electrogroom. We too curry first, then vacuum, then stiff brush, then towel. That regimen every day kept the coats looking fabulous.
    This is what my barn does too. The Electrogroom is very durable. You may be able to get something cheaper, but these things last forever. The one at my barn is probably 20 years old and is used on 14 horses a day - EVERY DAY.

If is was going to buy something other that the Electragroom, I'd probably just buy a shop vac instead of spending a couple hundred dollars on something that may not last.
    **Stacey**

I'm obsessed with my Electrogroom. I curry (with a metal curry if the mud is thick/caked on) really well and then vacuum, repeat as necessary. The difference in cleanliness is noticeable in the sweat on my white saddle pads.

Since I board in the winter, I did not want to bring my giant Electrogroom. I bought a 5 gal contractor's Shop Vac (http://www.lowes.com/pd_127133-20097...roduct_price|0). It has higher HP in the smaller sizes and I wanted 5hp. I used the curry attachment from my Electrogroom and it works pretty well. It's not as fantastic as the Electrogroom, but it gets the job done and is a handy size. I can also use it to clean my car
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Has anyone had any issues with the electrogrooms shocking you or the horse? I always wanted one, until I actually had access to one at the barn we boarded at ... and that darn thing would be fine, fine, fine, then BAM shock you.
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

I recently started using a Rapidgroom, the smaller version of the Electrogroom, and I love it. I've been really pleased with the fact that it does not make much noise. I considered less expensive models, the main complaints I heard about were noise related.

I have and love the black metrovac. Extremely quiet, can also be used as a blower. I use it for gereral barn cleaning too. Going strong at over 10 years. It's very well made.

Our barn has an ElectroGroom and I LOVE it. I own a gray mare who stays pretty clean, but since I do show her periodically during the winter, the vacuum is great for minimizing spot bathing for show prep. I also have a bay gelding who A: loves to wallow in the mud, and B: grows a coat like a yak! (seriously, I clip 2+ time a winter, but he gets thick so quickly. I have limited riding time after work. Vacuuming him off takes 5-10 mins, whereas getting all the caked in dried mud off his 18hands would take me all of my allotted riding time. So I'm a HUGE fan.
    A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

The Electro groom works very well and I use it several times a week in the cooler months. I tried a medium sized shop vac but the hose was not very flexible, it was very loud and not as easy to use. I do like the idea of the hand held mini vac though and I might try one for smaller jobs.
    friend of bar*ka

We have a regular shop vac and it works pretty well. We have one thats kind of tall and skinny so its really easy to hang up on the wall. Makes vacuuming very convenient and the vacuum isnt in the way.

I helped groom at the World Show this year.. And a trainer I was with had a vacuum! We would skip jammies some nights because of humidity, and we could vacuum the dirt right off the paints! It was fantastic! I don't know what kind it was but it was the best thing ever. Ours also had a dryer attatchment so we would dry horses that were a little thick in the coat. A++++ on the vacuum!
    The Struggle - - a blog about the equestrian struggle.

I LOVED the Electrogroom at my old barn. The first time I did it on my sensitive boy, he almost freaked out- until he realized how good it felt! After that, he stood perfectly still with floppy ears and a look of pure bliss in his eyes. I've known others who used shop vacs with success, and they are cheaper. If you are going to be using it on multiple horses everyday though, I don't know how long they would last.

No one at my barn had any issues with shocking, not that I know of anyway.

I have the Electro-Groom, and while it works great, it's a B!tch to get out of the tackroom. I have a shed-row barn and no aisle, and heaving that sucker across the threshold is a major pain. That Dirt Devil looks intriguing, and for the price I'm thinking it's a no-risk investment.

I had one horse that would get shocked in the winter--I don't know if his coat just wouldn't hold humidity or what, but he's the only one in 15 years of using it that I ever had that problem with. I kept a box of Bounce sheets in my grooming box and would rub them over him after currying and right before vacuuming. Seemed to solve the problem.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Sing Mia Song View Post
    I have the Electro-Groom, and while it works great, it's a B!tch to get out of the tackroom. I have a shed-row barn and no aisle, and heaving that sucker across the threshold is a major pain. That Dirt Devil looks intriguing, and for the price I'm thinking it's a no-risk investment.
    I really don't enjoy dragging the big Electrogroom around the barn. Plus I always seem to bang my shins on it when I move it. The Dirt Devil is easy to use, easy to pack, and easy to buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

http://www.pfwh.com/index.cfm/produc...-horse-vac.cfm

I've used that vacuum and really liked it

Anyone know how to get a brush attachment for the Dirt Devil? Or would it be similar if I just curried my horse a ton, and then vacuumed?

Thanks!

Another vote for the electrogroom. I've had a shopvac, and they absolutely don't work "just as well" as the electrogroom. I'm not sure there is a $650 difference, though.

But I got mine off Craigslist for $50. I bought it a new hose and nozzle and it works perfectly. It's easily 20 years old and going strong.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

My parents have an electrogroom that they bought in 1990. I think it has been used ONCE>

I am going to check it out when I go home for Christmas. Does it take bags?