The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Horse Vacuums

Any thoughts on vacuums? I'm going to be showing in the winter and don't want to torture them with baths... so I want to hear yalls thoughts on horse vacuums!

What's the best type?
    What to expect?
    Any tips with using them?

These are two I found on the internet, any thoughts on them?
    http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...2-00b0d0204ae5

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...2-00b0d0204ae5

Thanks!

I have used the Electrogroom at many barns over the years - http://www.doversaddlery.com/electro...er/p/X1-27105/

They are awesome at removing sand and fine particles of dirt. They are (obviously, I think) not great at removing damp mud or stains, or dirt when your horse is sweaty. I think it helps if you give a really thorough currying first to bring the dirt to the surface, and if your horse is really filthy, a curry-vacuum-curry-vacuum cycle.

Most horses take pretty well to it and are desensitized quickly. I find it is an easier introduction than clipping - have known many horses who have to be tranq'd to clip but are fine with the vacuum.

Many years ago, I saw somebody using one of these on a horse. It worked great, and was much smaller, lighter, and cheaper than any vacuum designed just for horses.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=694532

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    Many years ago, I saw somebody using one of these on a horse. It worked great, and was much smaller, lighter, and cheaper than any vacuum designed just for horses.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=694532
    LOL! That's exactly what I have. Fits in my trunk. Used it today to carve out a clean spot for my saddle. The rotating brush seriously works!

https://www.facebook.com/brita.barlo...type=1&theater

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I really like my Electrogroom. Yes, they are $$$ (although you can sometimes find used ones for less) but they are very durable and seem to last forever.

Oh, and in addition to the vacuum setting, they can also act as blowers, very good for drying damp hair!
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    I really like my Electrogroom. Yes, they are $$$ (although you can sometimes find used ones for less) but they are very durable and seem to last forever.

Oh, and in addition to the vacuum setting, they can also act as blowers, very good for drying damp hair!
    I bought an ElectroGroom used from a friend and I Looooove it! The vacuum I have is at least 10 years old and it still works great! It is very handy to have during those times in the winter when either we can't or don't want to bathe the dirty pigs!

It does have a blower setting, like Lucassb said.

In general, I think highly recommend vacuuming because it gets rid of that set in dirt and it stimulates the skin and pulls the oil up to the surface. So, even the winter woollies can come out shiny on a (not grey) horse!!

I will even use my vacuum in the summertime before I give a bath to get all the dirt out.

I have the ElectroGroom now that I have my own business and all the customers use it. That is the way to go if your vacuum is going to be used many times a day. I also have the first vacuum that you posted (the black one), from when I only needed a vacuum a few times a week. I also love that one for one that gets less traffic. I now use that one to clean my car and it works great!

I loooooved the ElectroGroom! I want for myself, but not until a have some serious funds, lol. They really do work VERY well, and there is nothing like the clean of a freshly vacuumed horse!
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

This thread reminded me of one of my favorite illustrations from Thelwell's
    Riding Academy.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LS View Post
    This thread reminded me of one of my favorite illustrations from Thelwell's
    Riding Academy.
    That brought a smile to my face. Thelwell was such a genius.

Brought a smile to mine, too.

I use the Electrogroom on the ponies all the time. I like how it works, and I don't have to worry about giving them a chill in the winter. They end up shiny, too.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by CGolden View Post
    I have the ElectroGroom now that I have my own business and all the customers use it. That is the way to go if your vacuum is going to be used many times a day. I also have the first vacuum that you posted (the black one), from when I only needed a vacuum a few times a week. I also love that one for one that gets less traffic. I now use that one to clean my car and it works great!
    I am one of said customers...and we all loooooooooove the ElectroGroom. My horse even likes to have his face vacuumed.

Just one more vote for the Electrogroom. My parents bought one when they first came out in about 1957. My brother just retired it a few years ago. Mine is 18 and going great.
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

Electrogroom works fantastically!

Electrogroom. The large one is so worth it! I also have the smaller canister style that I keep in my trailer.
    Proud to have two Gold Prince POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

FWIW I own the first one you posted the link to. Its pretty good, not super powerful but not going to break the bank to buy one, covenient to use and does a decent job. Something I found you had to be careful of is the air blowing out of the thing at the other end from the hose can spook some of the more sensitive types. It was also tricky to get the filter bag things for it.

I guess I'm going to be the only one to disagree, lol. I've used one for one client and didn't really see a difference. She insisted on using it on everyone and everything. I used to be a professional groom, well, still am on occasion. The best way I've learnt to groom is this process; curry, back brush, use a very lightly damp cloth (seriously wrung out) and rub backwards with that. Then brush all the hair down while it's barely damp. It won't make the horse cold as long as the cloth is barely damp. It puts a serious shine on the horse, makes the hair lay flat if they have longer hair and removes any traces of dust. It's about as long as a process as vacuuming. Although I haven't used a new model and didn't know they had rotating brush heads! That sounds awesome!!

I have had good luck just using a shop vac.

2 members found this post helpful.

Ditto the Dirt Devil and a shop vac.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I have the first one you have in your post. It works great. I don't use all the attachments because some a big, but I use the small attachment and it really gets the dirt off. I also turn the hose around and use it as a blow dryer after baths.