The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Buying a horse its first Weymouth set

Ok so I am premature by about a year on this but as the sets are so pricey and my saddlery is getting out of Sprenger and so has a 50 percent clearance I thought I might bring my purchase forward.
    My horse is solid 3 rd level and my plan was to start thinking about introducing a double in about a years time.
    I already have the bridle which I found and was a must have on sale but was holding off on bits till closer to the time. But with this sale at such a reduction it seems silly to hold off on such a reduction in price.

My dilemma is. I am a real green bean at this, I rode a show horse in my teens in a double a few times but thats the sum total of my experience. It was not my horse or gear so I had no part in selection of bits or in fact gave much thought to it.

So where do I start? My horse wears a standard KK Ultra and goes well in it so going with the same mouthpiece in a bradoon is a no brainer... Or is it??
    He has a lovely mouth and no issues so I guess I go for a low shallow port??

How do i know what sizes in the bit and weymouth? is it the same as he wears in his current snaffle??

Just throwing out some ideas at the moment before I go back into the saddlery to start looking so throw it at me. Tell me your likes, dislikes and what I should be looking for.

Thanks
    Don't Squat With Your Spurs On.

Just started my mare yesterday in the double! Third level as well.

She goes generally in a KK ultra, size 5"1/2 - 18mm dia.

The bits I had for her are:
    - KK training bradoon (no angle in the middle bean): size 5"1/2 - 14mm dia.
    - KK Conrad weymouth. It is a low port with an angle. : size 5"1/8 - 18mm dia.

I rode her, and will ride her for a few rides, on the bradoon only in a 3:1 set up.

She was really good yesterday and I think the bits I happen to have fit her perfectly so far. She still seeked contact and remained flexible.
    I find the bradoon to be a bit thin but I don't wanted to fill my horse's mouth either with 2 thick bits.
    I'm lucky she seems to enjoy the weymouth. She has a fat playfull tongue and low palate.

Like finding the right snaffle, it is usually a PITA of trials and errors.
    Last edited by alibi_18; Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Is there a reason why my post was marked as 'bad'? or is this a random vendetta by the COTh avengers clique?

1 members found this post helpful.

IF you have a bridle available, you might see if you can borrow a couple different bits and try them before springing for a purchase. Alternatively talk to your trainer about recommendations. Both my horses have had fairly normal mouths and have gone in a basic low port curb bit. I use a somewhat thinner bradoon than regular snaffle due to space constraints! Remember that you need the snaffle to be wider than the curb so that it all fits properly. You dont want curb bit to be too tight against the cheek either. Here is a useful short discussion on the selection process : http://www.classicaldressage.net/mem...blebridle.html
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

1 members found this post helpful.

Also look at the new Lorenzini titanium bits in Dressage Extensions catalog. They are so light that both the weymouth and bradoon will weigh the same or less as your KK snaffle.
    They are highly recommended by top trainers.
    www.lorenzinibits.com

There was an article in Dressage Today a few months back on your very question. I think it was written by Hilda Gurney?

If they really are half off I suggest you buy as many as you can afford. You could always ebay the ones that don't work and probably turn a profit!
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

2 members found this post helpful.

I've also used the conrad with good results when introducing the double - make sure to get the SHORT shanks and get a chain guard for the curb chain.

I have a Bemelmann curb that my gelding likes. In fact, he DIVES for his double bits when I hold up the bridle to put on him.

I tried about three bradoons before I found the right width and type. The "usual" wisdom regarding bradoon widths did not work for my guy. He needed a bradoon 3/4 of an inch wider than his curb. He has Chipmunk Cheeks.

If you've never fit a double on a horse before, DO ask for help!

BTW, we introduced the double bridle to my horse after his first year at Third Level. (It was his first year back in competition after an injury, so we didn't show much...) Some people believe in introducing it between Second and Third. We had training reasons NOT to start my guy that early. The first several times I rode in it, we just trail rode and I never touched the curb reins.

He has a VERY narrow lower jaw, a thick tongue and a rather low palate. I was afraid fitting the double would be more trouble than it was.

Thanks guys. Will hunt out the DT article. Yep 50 % off but selling out fast. Not many bradoons left but if I can only get the curb cheap and get the bradoon later from another source its still worth it. I need to go back in with his snaffle and hunt through what is there. There was some nice short shank low ported ones so hopefully there will be one left in his size. He's definitely ready for a double although i don't intend showing in one for quite some time yet. Its been a long time since I rode in 2 reins myself so need some refreshing myself.
    Don't Squat With Your Spurs On.