The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Dublin Pinnacle wearers

I am looking at the Dublin Pinnacles, but have a couple questions for those of you who wear them.

1) I see that the laces are threaded through a textile loop. How well has that fabric worn over time/use?

2) Do you have to re-lace or re-tighten each time you put them on?

3) Do you know where a measurement chart is that would list the calf width?

Thanks for any input; my internet sleuthing today is lacking.
    Last edited by rivenoak; May. 15, 2012 at 03:20 PM. Reason: changed question #1 after some info was found
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

bump.

Really, no one has these boots?

Someone else just posted on these. I don't know the exact sizing. I have a 15.5" calf (wide in tall black boots) and the pinnacles fit with room. There is a drawstring at the top of the boots to tighten them as needed. I do not have to retighten them. The ankles are big in them. I have had them for about 4 months and ride in them every day and they hold up well.

I have Pinnacle boots. I'm not sure about calf size but I have pretty big calves and I have no problem fitting into these boots with room to spare.

Foot sizing does run large, I usually wear a 7 but with these a 6 works great.

No need to re-lace these boots at all, the laces are mainly just for looks.

The tabs for the laces have held up well for me.

I do have to say that after a year these boots aren't waterproof anymore, but still really stylish to wear around and would do fine in the occasional mud puddle, I just can't slog through ankle deep mud or give bathes with them anymore. But I did completely abuse them...

What if you have little calves? Can you tighten them to fit?

I emailed a company about these, and they said they ran fairly true to size (they did mention that other Dublin boots run large), so I don't know what size to order

SAcres, do you have a narrow, medium or wide foot? That might make a difference in fit.
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

I have very large calves, one reason why I chose these. They are EXTREMELY comfortable and soft on the first wearing.

They absolutely run large, I haven't worn a 6 since my 20's, (3 decades ago) and the 6.5 is roomy. (it cost $15 to mail back, I decided to "settle" roomy is better than too tight)

As for the laces, I loosen them each time just a bit when removing, then just a quick pull on each "cross" from the ankle up to tighten & adjust each time I put them on. No big problem.

My biggest fear is getting my foot caught in the stirrup & not being able to get out of them, but that goes for any boot I suppose.

And if the fabric tube lace "holder" ever fails, I'd send them back to Dublin for a (better be) free repair.

I have 12 inch calves and they tighten enough to fit well, so they are very adjustable.

Mine fell apart after one winter.

Super comfortable and warm, but I don't want to buy a new pair of boots every year.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Mine fell apart after one winter.

Super comfortable and warm, but I don't want to buy a new pair of boots every year.
    Did you wear them frequently or in hard conditions?

I plan to wear them just once or twice a week, when I ride after work. I only ride one horse, don't have to muck a stall, but might have to go in the wash rack. I hope that's not too much use for them.

I don't want to buy a new pair every year, either. Yet, I don't feel like shelling out for extra-fit Dubarrys right now.

I received a pair of the Dublin River boots, but they were too small in the calf (barely fit over a thin-sock-clad leg; I'm about 15.25" around). They're currently being shipped back to exchange for the Pinnacles.

thanks everyone for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by rivenoak View Post
    Did you wear them frequently or in hard conditions?

I plan to wear them just once or twice a week, when I ride after work. I only ride one horse, don't have to muck a stall, but might have to go in the wash rack. I hope that's not too much use for them.

I don't want to buy a new pair every year, either. Yet, I don't feel like shelling out for extra-fit Dubarrys right now.

I received a pair of the Dublin River boots, but they were too small in the calf (barely fit over a thin-sock-clad leg; I'm about 15.25" around). They're currently being shipped back to exchange for the Pinnacles.

thanks everyone for your input!
    I ride between 15-20 horses a week, so I think yours would last notably longer than mine did.

Default update

Finally received the Pinnacles last night. I'm not so sure they're going to work out.

Even with the laces completely loose, and in thin nylon socks, I can barely get my foot through the instep.

I'm not sure I like how the velcro strap at the top only meets halfway; I think it's going to collect dirt & other junk.

<sigh>

I've got two days to notify the company if I'm returning them and I'll have to eat yet another shipping charge. (It's not Smartpak).

I want something I can pull on over any reasonable sock I'm wearing without much effort.

They're cute, but...

Maybe I should just bite the bullet & order some Dubarry ExtraFits from Smartpak at the end of the month.

<double sigh>

Net Equestrian has them for $164.90 with free shipping and free returns. I might have to give them a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
    Net Equestrian has them for $164.90 with free shipping and free returns. I might have to give them a try.
    That's a great deal!

If based on the sizing comments on this thread, you think they'll work for you, do it. They are nice boots.

I love these boots! Wear them all the time at the barn. My second or third year with mine and all I need to do is figure out how to clean them. Size fit perfect for me, but I have wide feet, so I never had to adjust the size. Fit my calves very well and can adjust the sides if I am wearing thicker socks or thinner socks.

Just updated the other thread, so thought I'd post here, too:

The Dublin Pinnacles, which I got as an early (September) Christmas gift, are OK on my calves, but not tight. They fit well over jeans. My calf is around 14 or 14.5 inches. The height is OK, too, but not as high as tall boots. I mainly wear them for trail riding in a bareback pad, to do chores, and around town, so the height works fine for me. They have height and calf width on their website.

I really like them, although the foot and ankle are a little wide for me. They are still very comfy and I can put on thick socks. I might put something in the foot bed, too, but haven't gotten around to it.

My husband loves them and thinks they are very sexy

Quote Originally Posted by SAcres View Post
    I do have to say that after a year these boots aren't waterproof anymore, but still really stylish to wear around and would do fine in the occasional mud puddle, I just can't slog through ankle deep mud or give bathes with them anymore. But I did completely abuse them...
    Assuming your stitching is still intact, any sporting goods store will have a cheap bottle of waterproofing spray you can probably use. Either for sneakers or tents.