The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default I bought some of those "electronic things" at the hardware store or TSC

They plug in and emit a very high frequency sound that mice hate. Follow instructions and you will not have any more mice.

I have barn cats, but can not tolerate indoor cats. We saw a mouse a month until we put these in and haven't seen any since. They seem to really work.

I think they help a bit to deter mice. Since I put one in the kitchen- no signs of mice.

I have a more robust one for the heated pump room in the barn- it is quite loud- so this one you can hear- but effective to deter rats that had gotten in there.

http://www.bird-x.com/transonic-pro-...hp?page_id=137

I would buy more but I think they would irritate the horses if in the stable area. The noise irritates me..

My plastic snap traps are just called Better Mousetraps; the brand, I think, is Intruder. I got the last batch from Amazon.com, and IIRC they came in a six-pack. These are the ones with the serrated "teeth" - but there are other brands like JAWZ that have a very similar design. I wanted ones that would be fast and effective and easy to rinse and re-use, and they've been all that.
    Home page: www.jessicajahiel.com
    Horse-Sense newsletter: www.horse-sense.org

1 members found this post helpful.

Are they also easier to set? I have issues with the old steel traps - we have mostly mixed rats AND mice here, so I have to use the bigger rat traps, and they scare the tar outta me when I'm setting them. I don't know HOW many times they've gone SNAP at my fingers!

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    True to a point. They are not my favorite either, but - especially the rat size ones work like a charm.

I did feel very bad for the mouse family caught on the traps I had put out.
    But a quick glance at the destruction they have caused and the mess they had left behind, that feeling did not last very long:
    Sunday I returned from vacation, opened my tack closet where I store my coolers & woolens to discover mice had rampaged while I was away. I'm normally in there daily disturbing things, I might every once in a while catch a hint of a mouse, but its rare. They very quickly realized I was away though and took full advantage.

Turds everywhere like confetti, urine streaking down tupperware bins, there was literally little pool of urine caught in a dip in a plastic blanket cover. I spent a lovely Sunday washing and sewing blankets and scrubbing mouse urine.

Blind with rage I went to the farm store and bought an assortment of traps, including a rat sized glue trap. Set them out, came home, serendipitously read this thread and immediately felt horrid for setting out glue. Vowed the next morning I would discard it.

Well, yesterday morning I open my tack closet to remove the glue trap and it was covered in mice! 7 kills! I didn't bait or anything, just put it in front of their entry point.

I know I was supposed to feel terrible but I would be lying if I didn't say I was smiling like the Grinch. It did not look like a particularly nice death, no, but they were quite dead when I arrived.

I'm using just plain victor snap traps for now, it is a fast humane death... but dang that glue was effective.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.
    Click for the ideal stocking stuffer for anyone equine!

2 members found this post helpful.

I can't do glue traps . Too cruel. Afterall they are just little animals trying to make a living.

I want to eliminate/kill them humanely, so they are not a bother in my house or barn- but do not want to torture them.

Why don't you put sachets of mint in your trunk?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

Go to herbalcom.com or whatever bulk herb seller you like & buy peppermint & spearmint. (Herbalcom has been dropping the ball for a while now.)

Stuff the bags with the mint & place in your trunk. It will sure smell nice when you open it up. You can even place them around the outside the trunk.

When I bought this house I had a bad snake & mouse problem. I did the mint thing. I now have mint growing all around the outside of the house. No mice or snakes anylonger.
    "Police officers are public servants. Not James Bond with a license to kill."

PLEASE call out another exterminator. Check w/ your local contacts for a recommendation (feed store / vet / etc.) -- local real estate offices should also be a good resource for recommendation.

There are 2 very serious reasons that a professional should be called in:
    1. Health - rodents are the major disease & parasite vector for humans, HORSES, pets, livestock, birds.
    http://www.cdc.gov/rodents/diseases/direct.html
    http://www.cdc.gov/rodents/diseases/indirect.html

2. FIRE HAZARD -- rodents chew up wiring. Hopefully, the exterminator can be on the lookout for anything obvious, but if they are in the walls??? Please make sure you have lots of newer, working smoke detectors & check them monthly.

CLEANING UP -- hanta virus isn't the only danger from droppings / dried urine. Be sure to follow these cleaning guidelines (10% bleach water needs to saturate and set for a minimum ammount of time). -- and wear a good respirator --
    http://www.cdc.gov/rodents/cleaning/index.html

The same CDC site also has tips on prevention, but a professional is the way to go to get this under control. However many mice/rodents you may think that you have; I can promise you that you have exponentially MORE.

I totally sympathize as my introduction to mice was in an old house in Alexandria, VA; and I thought, "oh, there's just the one poor little mouse" and thought I would do live traps - which didn't work and the natural mint stuff -- which also didn't work in this house in the city. I ended up using the "humane" electrocution traps. I had never seen any evidence of any rodents upstairs, but put a trap in my bedroom "just in case". Boy was I shocked when I had to empty the first mouse, then the second, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and finally 7th mouse. After learning about the disease & fire risk; I got very serious very quickly. And, I really didn't have a major problem. Now that I live on a farm, the disease & fire risks are even more serious. We have 3 serious mousing cats; but we also use poisons in heavy duty locking bait stations in areas inaccessible to the cats. Talk to your vet to determine the best / lowest risk bait(s) based on the animals that you have on your farm. I can promise you that there are effective baits that are much less toxic than antifreeze. I am always an advocate for using the least toxic solution; but you need to do a realistic risk assessment based on the very real & serious health & safety implications caused by rodents. The key is to eliminate your current problem & prevent future ones.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by buck22 View Post
    Sunday I returned from vacation, opened my tack closet where I store my coolers & woolens to discover mice had rampaged while I was away. I'm normally in there daily disturbing things, I might every once in a while catch a hint of a mouse, but its rare. They very quickly realized I was away though and took full advantage.

Turds everywhere like confetti, urine streaking down tupperware bins, there was literally little pool of urine caught in a dip in a plastic blanket cover. I spent a lovely Sunday washing and sewing blankets and scrubbing mouse urine.

Blind with rage I went to the farm store and bought an assortment of traps, including a rat sized glue trap. Set them out, came home, serendipitously read this thread and immediately felt horrid for setting out glue. Vowed the next morning I would discard it.

Well, yesterday morning I open my tack closet to remove the glue trap and it was covered in mice! 7 kills! I didn't bait or anything, just put it in front of their entry point.

I know I was supposed to feel terrible but I would be lying if I didn't say I was smiling like the Grinch. It did not look like a particularly nice death, no, but they were quite dead when I arrived.

I'm using just plain victor snap traps for now, it is a fast humane death... but dang that glue was effective.
    You caught 7, I bet there are 7 more waiting...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
    We use a 5 gallon bucket filled about 1/4 with RV antifreeze. We smear peanut butter on the handle, and put a small board leading up to the rim of the bucket, like a ramp so the mice walk up the ramp, attempt to use the wire to get to the peanut butter and -plop- into the antifreeze where they die quickly and are preserved until we can scoop them out
    I have heard about the bucket of death but didn't know about the antifreeze
    Save Schrodinger's Cat!!!

Default Help me gain the nerve

I am a tenant in a basement apt of a SFH. I have not brought up the nightly skittering in the walls with the homeowners above me. If I hear the mice, surely they do too

I followed this thread carefully and finally bought snap traps: they've sat on the counter for two weeks because I don't have the nerve to deal with the results. I've kinda been waiting to see if it'll get worse- see mouse/droppings, my food gets ransacked. Hasn't happened.

This thread says there are safety reasons to get rid of them. Ok. But I'm being a girly baby. One worry is a mangled mouse dragging trap to where I can't reach. Do I need to secure the traps? I'm thinking of setting them on exposed rafters in my kitchen but I'd have to stand on a chair to set and check traps. I could become eye to eye with a dead or bloody, struggling mouse. I've always been really creeped out by tiny dead things.

Another worry is dispatching a mangled mouse... carry mouse+trap outside and smash it's head with a hammer? I don't have weapons.

Unfortunately, getting a mouser isn't an option. Darn it! Next door has one plus we have raccoons and foxes. Still have mice (since well before winter).

Quote Originally Posted by Bicoastal View Post
    I am a tenant in a basement apt of a SFH. I have not brought up the nightly skittering in the walls with the homeowners above me. If I hear the mice, surely they do too

I followed this thread carefully and finally bought snap traps: they've sat on the counter for two weeks because I don't have the nerve to deal with the results. I've kinda been waiting to see if it'll get worse- see mouse/droppings, my food gets ransacked. Hasn't happened.

This thread says there are safety reasons to get rid of them. Ok. But I'm being a girly baby. One worry is a mangled mouse dragging trap to where I can't reach. Do I need to secure the traps? I'm thinking of setting them on exposed rafters in my kitchen but I'd have to stand on a chair to set and check traps. I could become eye to eye with a dead or bloody, struggling mouse. I've always been really creeped out by tiny dead things.

Another worry is dispatching a mangled mouse... carry mouse+trap outside and smash it's head with a hammer? I don't have weapons.

Unfortunately, getting a mouser isn't an option. Darn it! Next door has one plus we have raccoons and foxes. Still have mice (since well before winter).
    I have not yet seen a mouse being only mangled in the trap.
    Mostly I suppose due to timing, but by the time I see them, the deed is done.
    Buy the cheap wood traps, if the critter is in there in a way you can't easily open and toss, toss the whole thing. I had zero results with the plastic ones. Not a single catch. It helps to secure the trap, but you only really need it with rat traps ('fun story' there: I had suddenly a huge rat problem for unknown reason. I set out 4 traps, each baited with something else. DH teased me, said I should put a shot glass with wine out, since I served up a full meal. Anyhow, three of the traps were cleaned out, but no rat, the fourth was simply GONE. I looked around, nothing. For days I was afraid to stick my hand into dark places....then I found it: The rat bastard - and he was HUGE - had gotten halfway into the trap before it sprung, he had dragged it clear across the room behind some stuff stacked up there....)

Oh, and do get a step latter, don't climb on chairs. I mean we all do it, but it's not safe!

you can also get 'rat zapper' traps, you don't have to look at the expired mouse to dispose it I have been told.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    I have not yet seen a mouse being only mangled in the trap.
    Mostly I suppose due to timing, but by the time I see them, the deed is done.
    Buy the cheap wood traps, if the critter is in there in a way you can't easily open and toss, toss the whole thing. I had zero results with the plastic ones.
    Thank you, Alagirl. It is very reassuring to learn the odds of the trap will kill the mouse, not me. Deep breath. I can do this.

Oh dear you will be fine. As Alagirl said, the cheap VICTOR snap traps work best. I prefer the one with the plastic cheese plate rather than small metal bait plate because its a bigger target and easier to trigger.

Unless you have unusually large rodents, the mouse size snap trap will be deadly. I average 3 mice a week this time of year and have yet to have any incidents. However, the snap is fairly energetic so if you set it on a rafter it will likely fall when tripped.

Its a quick, clean death usually, but if you are that squeamish, bring a tissue or napkin with you and toss it over the trap and mouse so you don't have to look at it. The wooden snap traps are cheap enough to be disposable.

Look for mouse droppings and set your trap there. Look in the back of cupboards, near where the trash is stored, etc. Mice like to run along things like walls, it makes them feel safe. If you can find their travel route you will have better success.

If I was a tenant however, I would absolutely speak up about mice to the landlord. There is a good chance they don't know and would want to be free of the problem themselves. Mice are not only gross, but a health hazard and safety hazard as they can chew wires and start a fire.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.
    Click for the ideal stocking stuffer for anyone equine!

Quote Originally Posted by jawa View Post
    Bucket, wire hanger (or other metal that will go from one side of the bucket to the other), and a 20 oz drink bottle. Drill holes on either side of your bucket (directly opposite of the handle works best). Drill a hole in the center of the bottom of the drink bottle. Run the wire through one hole in the bucket, through the bottle and through the other hole on the bucket. Fill bucket 1/2 full with water, smear peanut butter on the bottle, and use a board as a ramp for the furry little monsters.
    I've used this version with an aluminum can. It's important that the can/bottle spin/move/turn when they reach from the board/edge of pail for the peanut butter smeared on the can.

My uncles did this in their cabins over winter (or other long periods of non-use) and just used the toilet in place of the bucket and duct-taped the wire/hangar to the porcelain (excuse to leave the seat up). On return to the cabin, a simple flush was all that was needed.
    "That is why you have a pony..." - Edgewood, 2011

Ratzappers! Love them.

Ohhkidokie.....LITERALLY DONE!
    Did the bucket thing in cellar...got 1. Attempted to foam up any and everything we could see and/or get to...seemed to lessen the volume of the nasty critters for a period...then started to hear scampering in walls and ceiling between ceiling and flooring upstairs. So bought big bag of green balls ...mouse/rat poison, lined most anywhere dog doesn't go w/ glue traps.
    My husband hates poison, b/c invariably they die somewhere you can get to and smell horrible....well that's actually not the worse part of that...FYI NOT FOR THE WEAK OR FAINT OF HEART!!!! (I don't know if I can actually post this part....)....ughhhh apparently blowflies have been drawn to the rotting, stinking mouse corpses in the walls, under hardwood flooring, etc.....saw what appeared to be moving pieces of rice coming from in between floor boards....yes! I cannot bear to actually type it.
    NEEDLESS TO SAY, THE URGENCY TO ERADICATE ALL MICE ALIVE AND DEAD HAS INCREASED TO a [COLOR="#FF0000"]RED ZONE[COLOR="#000000"] I am doing whole house cleaning every other day...this is the most disgusting farm living experience I've ever had without a doubt.
    Sorry, but this is tooooo much.

This is a bad mouse problem; so sorry. The bait packages usually work but we did have a mouse die under our dish washer and the water seal was chewed apart, making the dishwasher leak - mouse was probably looking for water after having eaten the poison bait.

Mice are a real pain, keep it up and focus on the holes and ways into the house. Ours were coming through a connecting beam from the house attic to the garage. We laid sticky tape down and eventually caught the few that weren't eating the bait.

Sealed the connection; no more mice in the house. We bait the garage when we see signs of them but more importantly, we don't store trash, bird seed, and dog food in the garage anymore.

ugh, you poor thing.
    jingles and hugs coming form vermont for you.

I used to work for a pest control company for several years. When people had mice infestations, the first item of business is finding all areas they can enter into your home. The ONLY way to get rid of mice, especially in the country, is to prevent them from going in your home. Mice hate steel wool, therefore use this in every hole, crack, and opening you can find. If the hole is too big, put a metal wire with very small openings, I mean tiny. Don't forget to check your attic, pipes, exterior, and crawspace openings. Next, our company would lay glue traps with rat poison on them. This way they would die on the glue trap, before figuring out a way to chew themselves out. I personally prefer the old victor wooden snap traps with peanut butter. Kills them instantly and easy to get rid of. I would make sure to put several traps in the attic, basement, under sinks, near toilets, and garbage cans. I would say give it about 3 months before you see any progress and be sure to check your traps every 12 hours and don't forget to set new ones. Make sure to store any dry foods in plastic containers, so that you can prevent your food from being containamated in the process.

Please make sure when handling dead mice to wear gloves and to sanitize afterwards. Good luck.

I have heard that pepperment oil helps keep mice out, but I have never tried it. A coworker of mine swears by it. You can purchase a bottle of it at a heath food store. Just put a couple drops on cotton balls and place them around you home.
    Last edited by snydere02; Jan. 3, 2013 at 03:26 PM. Reason: remembered one more helpful tip.