The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 70
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Nov. 6, 2009
    Posts
    2,047

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    I think this story is an excellent illustration as to why you tie with an appropriate length, rather than using it as an example as to why the horse should be tied with twine.

    After all, what would you be saying if the horse WAS tied with twine, set back and went over backwards when the twine broke? Horses have been killed in that situation, or injured badly.

    In general, it is far safer to the horse and handlers if it is tied eye high, to and with something that won't break.
    ^^^Yes, thank you. There is no guarantee that everything would have been fine if the horse had broken loose. It could have panicked and injured itself, it could have galloped around and hurt itself, it could have spooked another horse and caused a second accident, gone to visit other horses and caused them to hurt themselves, it could have been hit by a vehicle, injured a spectator, etc, etc.

    It is important to tie correctly, or better yet, leave the horse on the trailer. I personally would not tie with twine in a public area. A quick release knot is appropriate.



  2. #42
    Join Date
    Nov. 24, 2006
    Posts
    1,108

    Default

    Myself, I would never tie with a breakaway halter- same reason.
    Kerri


    1 members found this post helpful.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Nov. 6, 2009
    Posts
    2,047

    Default

    [QUOTE=Janet;6668567]
    But the ONLY confirmed "halter puller" I have had was MADE THAT WAY by being tied to something SOLID.

    When he was a 3 yo (long before I got him) he was tied to the post of a post and rail fence (through the hole in the post). Something spooked him, and he pulled and pulled until he pulled the post OUT OF THE GROUND. He then proceded to gallop around the property for half an hour, dragging the post between his legs.

    Ten years later, when I got him, he still had scars on his belly, and he still didn't tie.

    I eventually (USING BALING TWINE) got him to the point where he would stand tied (to baling twine) MOST of the time. But he was never 100%.

    If he had originally been tied using baling twine, they would have had a loose 3 yo.

    Becuase they tied him directly to the post, they had a seriously injured, badly traumatized, loose 3 yo, who would not tie.

    Do you REALLY think that was preferable?[/QUOTE

    Janet, what happened to your horse is terrible, but I disagree with your suggestion to teach horses to tie using baling twine. That is a guaranteed way to teach a horse to break loose. Of course, teaching a horse to tie by hard tying a 3 year old who hasn't been taught how to tie yet up to a post is also a terrible way to teach a horse to tie.



  4. #44
    Join Date
    Aug. 25, 2007
    Posts
    8,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kate66 View Post
    For those that are firmly anti-baling twine, are you also firmly against leather halters and breakaway halters?
    I'm not in favor of tying to things that permit elopements if the horse decides to go. Spook or just got tired of standing there makes no difference.

    Janet's example of a the horse pulling post out of the ground really proves nothing except that it was not tied "eye high, arm's length, with and to something that won't break." The fact that the post pulled out of the ground was a failure of the human who tied it there.

    By the by, I participate each year at the National Cavalry Competition. About 1/4 of the horses there, at any one time, are tied to picket lines. In the six events I've attended there was one "elopement" and that happened when a trooper lost hold of the lead rope of a horse that was spooking badly. The horse was loose for about 15 min. and I don't think the trooper ever got his saddle bags back (they were gone when the horse was recovered; don't know how they came off but they did).

    Unless you've taken the time to pick a quiet horse and train it properly you ought not to be using bailing twine or picket lines.

    G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão



  5. #45
    Join Date
    Jul. 20, 2007
    Location
    Rising Sun, MD
    Posts
    3,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kate66 View Post
    For those that are firmly anti-baling twine, are you also firmly against leather halters and breakaway halters?
    No I am not "against" them per say, but I do use them in appropriate situations. For instance, when Hurricane Sandy hit us the other week, the horses were turned out with breakaway halters on. And I do use leather halters in the trailer (because that is pretty much the one spot I'd like something breakable) and on very comfirmed tie-ers (because I like the way they look. However would I tie a horse I was teaching to tie or one with tying issues with a breakaway or leather halter? Nope
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain


    1 members found this post helpful.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Apr. 17, 2002
    Location
    between the barn and the pond
    Posts
    14,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tabula rashah View Post
    No I am not "against" them per say, but I do use them in appropriate situations. For instance, when Hurricane Sandy hit us the other week, the horses were turned out with breakaway halters on. And I do use leather halters in the trailer (because that is pretty much the one spot I'd like something breakable) and on very comfirmed tie-ers (because I like the way they look. However would I tie a horse I was teaching to tie or one with tying issues with a breakaway or leather halter? Nope
    more than a green thumb's up on this point.

    We have hurricanes in Alabama so at those times the horses are in nylon breakaway style halters with luggage tags for ID.


    I don't tie in the trailer. They all know to wait for me to say OK to back off of my trailer. If I DO tie, I'll tie to a loop of orange twine for safety's sake in the event there's a wreck.

    Everywhere else- or while training to tie- It's all rope halters and tied in leads.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Oct. 9, 2012
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kate66 View Post
    For those that are firmly anti-baling twine, are you also firmly against leather halters and breakaway halters?
    I am not firmly against baling twine, I just don't use it because it hasn't ever done anything productive for my situation. I don't care what other people do.

    I only use leather halters, full leather halters and not nylon halters with breakaway leather crowns. It's not because there is anything wrong with the other halters, I just prefer leather ones.



  8. #48
    Join Date
    May. 6, 2007
    Location
    Napanee ON
    Posts
    3,887

    Default

    I will never use bailing twine again after my little incident. My guy pulled back and broke the twine, so I set him back up on cross ties only to have him try the same thing again. This time, the twine held and he reared up with all his weight and was leaning back with his entire body weight on the ties. The twine finally snapped and he went flying backwards smashing his head off the side of his stall. He had a seizure right then and there. He recovered %100 but I never want to see that again. He's young and I believe he learned to lean back and they would snap. I do not cross ties this horse anymore.

    I also had my old eventer scratch his ear and his foot came down over his rope, similar to the OPs story. Ripped his pasturn to hell and we had to cut the rope.

    Lessons learned; tie properly with leather halters..



  9. #49
    Join Date
    Apr. 14, 2001
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    Posts
    16,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tabula rashah View Post
    No I am not "against" them per say, but I do use them in appropriate situations. For instance, when Hurricane Sandy hit us the other week, the horses were turned out with breakaway halters on. And I do use leather halters in the trailer (because that is pretty much the one spot I'd like something breakable) and on very comfirmed tie-ers (because I like the way they look. However would I tie a horse I was teaching to tie or one with tying issues with a breakaway or leather halter? Nope
    This is about how I run it, too. I love the look of leather halters, so the reliable, not-an-idiot horse gets to wear one. It's sturdy, double ply, so even if she does hit the end of her rope, it's not going to just pop before she's got the chance to step up.

    Horses that are new to me have to prove themselves as reliable before they earn a leather halter. Some never do and are always tied in nylon.

    If the barn turns out in halters, I'll go with leather, single ply and preferably well used, so if the shit does hit the fan and the horse is stuck, the halter will break.

    I will haul in nylon, but leave the horse untied.



  10. #50
    Join Date
    Dec. 21, 2008
    Location
    Longing to be where I once was.....
    Posts
    2,188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeucesWild11 View Post
    Doesnt anyone tie with a quick release knot anymore??? Solves all these problems. Still a hard and fast knot- but SUPER easy to QUICKLY RELEASE in an emergency.

    I do, but if your horse is pulling back it may not be safe for you to get in there and pull it . When I was showing we would leave our horses tied and they stayed there. In fact, I was in the habit ( still am) of tying one horse and leaving them standing while I worked another. My horses have enough rope to hold their head at a normal height, no more and are tied to huge barn support posts with a heavy lead rope. My mule especially will move around and get the most pull out of his rope he can. He has never pulled back, but I would never tie him or any other horse with twine. If they know they can pull back and get free it will ( for some) cause more problems than it prevents. Teach your horse to tie and stand there.



  11. #51
    Join Date
    Nov. 19, 2005
    Posts
    1,906

    Default

    I always clip a horse to a rope attached by twine. I have not had a problem with horss learning to pull lose that way. But i almost had my head removed by a horse panicking and pulling a board loose when it did not break and they were securely tied (by someone else.)



  12. #52
    Join Date
    Apr. 14, 2001
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    Posts
    16,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by omare View Post
    But i almost had my head removed by a horse panicking and pulling a board loose when it did not break and they were securely tied (by someone else.)
    Tying to a board is NOT securely tied.

    Aren't people taught this stuff anymore? Never tie to something that can move? That's one of the basics that was drilled into me as a kid.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    39,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Tying to a board is NOT securely tied.

    Aren't people taught this stuff anymore? Never tie to something that can move? That's one of the basics that was drilled into me as a kid.
    I was all of 6 or 7 when I had to go into the house to use the bathroom.
    I tied my horse to the bench by the door.
    Coming out, I saw the horse pulling to reach some grass and the bench move, the horse pull more and the bench keep moving.
    The horse, seeing the bench moving, decided maybe she ought to move away and guess what, the bench started following her!

    She took off running, kicking the bench into splinters and cutting her legs a bit, thankfully not much.
    Finally stopped running when she ran out of bench following her and I could catch her.

    Lesson learned, very, very early.



  14. #54
    Join Date
    Feb. 16, 2003
    Location
    MI USA
    Posts
    7,115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kate66 View Post
    For those that are firmly anti-baling twine, are you also firmly against leather halters and breakaway halters?
    Yes I am against those products. My halters are nylon with good hardware, soft and sturdy. However using my neckrope or cow collar method for tying horses, there is NEVER any pull on the halter itself, no pull on the poll of horse. Pull on horse then is further back on the neck, a much more muscular area.



  15. #55
    Join Date
    Nov. 17, 2010
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I was all of 6 or 7 when I had to go into the house to use the bathroom.
    I tied my horse to the bench by the door.
    Coming out, I saw the horse pulling to reach some grass and the bench move, the horse pull more and the bench keep moving.
    The horse, seeing the bench moving, decided maybe she ought to move away and guess what, the bench started following her!

    She took off running, kicking the bench into splinters and cutting her legs a bit, thankfully not much.
    Finally stopped running when she ran out of bench following her and I could catch her.

    Lesson learned, very, very early.
    I have similar story except it was a gate and I was old enough to know better. I just wasn't using my head that day Horse didn't stop until she rolled over the fencing and fell down. Luckily she was okay, and I still have her today! These days she ties, crossties, and ground ties!



  16. #56
    Join Date
    Apr. 17, 2002
    Location
    between the barn and the pond
    Posts
    14,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by omare View Post
    I always clip a horse to a rope attached by twine. I have not had a problem with horss learning to pull lose that way. But i almost had my head removed by a horse panicking and pulling a board loose when it did not break and they were securely tied (by someone else.)
    That is stupidly tied, not securely tied.



  17. #57
    Join Date
    Feb. 7, 2005
    Location
    Eventing Heaven, VA
    Posts
    1,803

    Default

    My reasoning behind using baling twine when tying to a trailer:

    1) Watching a horse tied "hard-and-fast" to a trailer tie ring flip and severely fracture his withers when the tie ring broke off the trailer. (While under supervision).

    2) Knowing my personal horse has been well trained to stand when tied, so outside of the s**t happens scenarios, I can generally trust him to behave while supervised.

    3) When the s**t happens scenario occurs, I would rather have the bit of twine break instead of the halter and lead so there is something attached to the horse if he does get loose.

    Everyone has their experiences and feelings on the subject, for what it's worth, that is mine.
    Failure is always an option*
    -Mythbusters

    *As long as you figure out what you f'ed up and fix it! -Me


    2 members found this post helpful.

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Aug. 9, 2002
    Location
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Posts
    5,641

    Default

    Does anyone worry about the damage to the horse's neck (not to mention poll) if they struggle mightily when tied tight and fast?

    Discuss (and I am legitimately interested in any and all opinions on this!)
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

    "It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")



  19. #59
    Join Date
    Apr. 14, 2006
    Posts
    3,269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    I will agree with that. But I strongly disagree with your suggestion not to tie to baling twine.

    But the ONLY confirmed "halter puller" I have had was MADE THAT WAY by being tied to something SOLID.

    When he was a 3 yo (long before I got him) he was tied to the post of a post and rail fence (through the hole in the post). Something spooked him, and he pulled and pulled until he pulled the post OUT OF THE GROUND. He then proceded to gallop around the property for half an hour, dragging the post between his legs.

    Ten years later, when I got him, he still had scars on his belly, and he still didn't tie.

    I eventually (USING BALING TWINE) got him to the point where he would stand tied (to baling twine) MOST of the time. But he was never 100%.

    If he had originally been tied using baling twine, they would have had a loose 3 yo.

    Becuase they tied him directly to the post, they had a seriously injured, badly traumatized, loose 3 yo, who would not tie.

    Do you REALLY think that was preferable?
    *************
    Sorry about your horse, but in his case he was NOT tied safely. A horse is tied safely when NOTHING is going to break (halter, snap, rope) or pull out of the ground!! It was not the tying that caused your problem it was the loose post beating him up!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma



  20. #60
    Join Date
    Jan. 20, 2007
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post
    Yes I am against those products. My halters are nylon with good hardware, soft and sturdy. However using my neckrope or cow collar method for tying horses, there is NEVER any pull on the halter itself, no pull on the poll of horse. Pull on horse then is further back on the neck, a much more muscular area.
    do you have a good description or even better some pictures of what you mean by neckrope and cow collar for tying-I'm not familiar with what you mean.



Similar Threads

  1. The OMG Scary brainfart moment
    By Flagstaff Foxhunter in forum Off Course
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Apr. 8, 2012, 01:31 PM
  2. Creative uses for baling twine?
    By OneGrayPony in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Dec. 28, 2009, 10:15 PM
  3. Replies: 41
    Last Post: Jun. 3, 2009, 09:11 AM
  4. New uses for old baling twine?
    By Murphy's Mom in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: Feb. 23, 2009, 03:31 PM
  5. Replies: 18
    Last Post: Oct. 9, 2008, 09:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness