The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I started a thread about the Troxel Avalon a while ago. Great helmet and it looks much more expensive than it is. It's "adjustable" but it's not a dial fit. I'm not a fan of dial fit, but this one doesn't bother me at all. It's like a bike helmet sort of thing in the back?

1 members found this post helpful.

at work and the barn...middle of nowhere PA

Quote Originally Posted by AmmyByNature View Post
    I started a thread about the Troxel Avalon a while ago. Great helmet and it looks much more expensive than it is. It's "adjustable" but it's not a dial fit. I'm not a fan of dial fit, but this one doesn't bother me at all. It's like a bike helmet sort of thing in the back?
    yes, I have that too and find it really comfortable on my hard to fit head! Cheap, and they look great, IMO.

Unfortunately the Troxel Avalon is over budget at $160 (Dover's price). My local tack store is quoting me $79.99 for the Lami Cell Competitor but since it is a special order it is non-refundable and I don't know anywhere locally where I could try one on.

Tipperary for schooling. They're cool, light and comfortable and if oval helmets fit you best they are great. And reasonably priced.
    Fernhill Warmbloods
    www.fernhillwarmbloods.com

Word of caution- if there's ANY chance that you will end up in SC any time from May until September, be sure to get something vented! I had a CO that I adored, but that thing was hot enough to bake bread! I got an IRH Elite with vents which I love!

Also, this time of year, be sure to join email lists for tack shops. I know the Tack Room in Camden often has 30% (or something like that) off any one item during the Christmas season. I think I got my IRH there for maybe $120ish on sale.
    Last edited by janedoe726; Nov. 14, 2012 at 05:42 PM. Reason: added info on sale
    "Life is too short to be a slave to the whims of others." -- RugBug, COTH

1 members found this post helpful.

My daughter just bought this IRH at Smartpak. It is very traditional and doesn't give her "mushroom head."

http://www.smartpakequine.com/irh-me...x?cm_vc=Search

Edit: Previous helmet was a Lamicell and it was pretty mushroom-like.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I have the ovation deluxe schooler.

http://www.adamshorsesupplies.com/Ov...4263C3984.aspx

I got it when they ran a special and it was 10 dollars off. Probably the best 38 bucks I've ever spent. I am a CO wearer at shows, and absolutely adore this little helmet. I actually like the dial system as it allows me to put it on over my ear muffs in the winter. It's so lightweight I hardly even feel it on my head. I ride 2-3 per day 4 days a week, in Texas. I never had to take it off b/c of heat, and found it to be so comfortable.

It's low profile, and attractive on my head. I had my show helmet stolen at a big AA show, and ended up having to show the A/Os in it. My (away) trainer commented on how nice it looked, and I actually got 2-3 complements and people asking me what kind of helmet it is. Now, I'm sure when they found it out was 38 not 538 they were no longer interested, but for what it is I find it to be a super great deal.

I have both a Tipp and an Ovation and I love both! Practically everyone in my barn schools in one or the other, and neither would be out of place for schooling. Probably the Ovation is slightly more popular around here, however.

I know it wasn't one of the choices you listed, but my schooling helmet is the Ovation Protege, and I love it. It's extremely light, cool, and comfortable. I have an oval CO head, and it fits great. I don't mind the dial at all.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Quote Originally Posted by tua37516 View Post
    Apparently Lami-Cell also has a step up that is not dial fit!
    http://www.onestopequineshop.com/Lam...et_p_6934.html
    I have this helmet for schooling. I truthfully probably wouldn't recommend buying for someone with an oval head. It is borderline bug-head look and very circle (fits me just fine) even if you order in the long oval. Very nice harness on it, but just be aware of the slight bubble look!
    Who say's your best friend has to be human?

I don't necessarily mentioned I have a very oval head... not sure where that comment came from... maybe slightly, really just a small head more than anything But I would never order a long oval or anything like that. I fit well in the IRH's but NOT the CO's if that helps anyones input!
    Last edited by tua37516; Nov. 15, 2012 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tua37516 View Post
    I don't necessarily mentioned I have a very oval head... not sure where that comment came from... maybe slightly, really just a small head more than anything But I would never order a long oval or anything like that. I fit well in the IRH's but NOT the CO's if that helps anyones input!
    I think people are assuming that you have a more oval head because COs are pretty round and IRHs are pretty oval-ly. One Ks tend to be a bit on the oval side, too, from what I've heard.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

2 members found this post helpful.

I love my ovation! I have the schooler and I bought it about 3 years ago expecting a cheap junky helmet that I could throw out in a year when it got nasty. The removable liner keeps the funk smell out, the dial is comfortable, looks nice, cheap, light weight, and cool. I could not ask more from a schooling helmet.

I used to get comments on it all the time and people could not believe the price. Four people at the barn bought one or another model of the ovation. I will buy another one when this falls or in another two years.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerJumper View Post
    I think people are assuming that you have a more oval head because COs are pretty round and IRHs are pretty oval-ly. One Ks tend to be a bit on the oval side, too, from what I've heard.
    Wonderful, thank you! In that case, anyone have any input on how the Lami-Cell Sport might fit me? I think I am really set on that one.