The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Inexpensive schooling helmets that don't look cheap... Help me shop! :)

So I've decided I would like to get an inexpensive schooling helmet so I don't have to tote around my current helmet while travelling. Right now, I have a wonderful One K Defender that I both school and show in. Best helmet I've ever owned. However, I think I will be travelling between the Myrtle Beach, SC area and SE PA every few months to visit my boyfriend and will be riding with a h/j barn down south (No way I'll be skipping riding for a week or more at a time!). I am thinking it would be good to just leave my helmet down there so I don't have to lug it around in a carry on, and ultimately it will be good to have a 2nd helmet to wear on beach rides, rainy days, and inclement weather.

Some things I was considering:
    Lami Cell sport in black
    Ovation Sync in black or black/navy
    Ovation Competitor

Opinions on these or suggestions on others around or below $100. I ride h/j usually in the 3' divisions but like I said I already have a nice show helmet but need something that looks respectable when riding at a new barn that won't break the budget.
    Last edited by tua37516; Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:56 PM. Reason: fixed links

check out the Pegasus although you might need the long oval if 1 K fits you. I just don't like adjustable personally.

Quote Originally Posted by MaybeMorgan View Post
    check out the Pegasus although you might need the long oval if 1 K fits you. I just don't like adjustable personally.
    I don't like adjustable either, don't think the fit is as good plus it looks cheap/beginnery but in my budget I don't know if there is anything else. My One K is amazing, I love it but can't afford to buy a second as a backup helmet that I'll only be using 2-4x/month.

The link to the Lami-Cell is incorrect. You may want to fix this.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

http://www.doversaddlery.com/ovation...et/p/X1-36311/

This is the helmet I have, and I am very happy with it. Looks like the Sync is very similar. I like the Ovations!
    No reason to scuff up something nice while schooling!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickelodian View Post
    We jump horses. Over sticks. For fun.
    Never take life too seriously. Nobody makes it out alive anyway.
    Regulus RDL

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    The link to the Lami-Cell is incorrect. You may want to fix this.
    Fixed! Sorry!

pick one that fits well and is comfy. Lots of people wear white helmets with big air vents for schooling here- the white and the vents keep the head cool. Lots of under-$100 options.
    The "cheap" ones have been proven to be safer than your fancy expensive ones. People wearing the fancy expensive ones, especially in the schooling ring, trigger an "IDIOT" response in most observers, not a "gee how pretty/cool" response.

You could look at IRH... most of their come in a long oval and are relatively inexpensive.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

I have an Ovation (not sure which one, it's adjustable) in white for schooling in the summer. Best $56 I have ever spent. Very comfortable and light weight. On the very rare occasion that Mr. Hasahorse wants to ride, it fits him because I can adjust it.
    My new mantra - \"Life is too short not to eat ice cream.\"
    ReRiders Clique

In the SC area do people really wear white schooling helmets? I'd be laughed out of the arena here... The girls I rode with had GPA Speed Air, a Lami Cell Sport, and a few other riders I saw had a CO and then some beginners were wearing Troxels.

I searched far and wide for a schooling helmet that I liked (went to 5 tack shops in 3 different counties); my motivation was to find one I could plunge into a bucket of suds after sweaty summer riding, so helmets like the One K and Samshield were not on my list; with all their padding they would not be plunge-worthy. I looked at Tipperary, Ovation, IRH....and the grand prize winner was the Lami-Cell Professional Sport (in black). Super comfortable, lightweight, breathes well, looks cool and can be washed. And less than $100 ($87 incl shipping, on e-bay but the actual supplier was Horseloverz). It has the dial-fit wheel in the back and I was surprised to find that I like that more than I thought I would. Makes it fit very snug and secure. I could not be more pleased with my choice.

I ride in the ovation schooler and absolutely adore it.

I'm actually on the search for a new show helmet and can't find anything I like, so have been hanging on to my ancient IRH (apparently they've changed since the newer ones don't fit me). My sister did a head plant in it at the last show and scratched the velvet (plus the actual head plant...) so I really need a new one. I'm debating getting the Ovation Competitor since i know it fits and looks good until I can afford the GPA that fit me very well at Dover....

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_girl221 View Post
    I ride in the ovation schooler and absolutely adore it.

I'm actually on the search for a new show helmet and can't find anything I like, so have been hanging on to my ancient IRH (apparently they've changed since the newer ones don't fit me). My sister did a head plant in it at the last show and scratched the velvet (plus the actual head plant...) so I really need a new one. I'm debating getting the Ovation Competitor since i know it fits and looks good until I can afford the GPA that fit me very well at Dover....
    LOL sounds like you have the opposite problem of me! I had an original IRH for years until I had to replace it last summer with with One K. Sounds like we have a similarly shaped head. The One K pricing is middle of the road (about $235 which is less outrageous than the GPA's), I would recommend trying one of those for show instead.

But I've been hearing great feedback about the Ovations in general.

Apparently Lami-Cell also has a step up that is not dial fit!
    http://www.onestopequineshop.com/Lam...et_p_6934.html

I really like the Ovation Sync. I choose to wear my show helmet at all times (CO AYR8...and a GPA prior) because I find spending $300+ and then only using a handful of times before it needs to be replaced due to age wasteful. Perhaps if I showed more, I could find the logic is having a schooling and a showing helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    pThe "cheap" ones have been proven to be safer than your fancy expensive ones.
    Please provide scientific studies proving the cheap ones to be safer.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    I really like the Ovation Sync. I choose to wear my show helmet at all times (CO AYR8...and a GPA prior) because I find spending $300+ and then only using a handful of times before it needs to be replaced due to age wasteful. Perhaps if I showed more, I could find the logic is having a schooling and a showing helmet.

Please provide scientific studies proving the cheap ones to be safer.
    Agreed... if anything I feel that a perfectly fitted helmet would be safer than a dial fit as a have a very small head (6 7/8).

I am also a "one helmet" sort of person but it is now making sense to have two since I will be flying out of state so frequently, it is hard to pack a helmet and I'd hate for my nice helmet to get lost in baggage (who cares about clothes, I don't want anything to happen to my helmet!) but I can't afford to simply go out and buy a second One K since the one I'll be leaving in SC will rarely be used.

I'm leaning towards the Lami-Cell Competitor if I can find a good price. Thoughts??

Another vote for the Ovation. It's cool, comfortable and has saved my life. I crashed (wearing it at a show because I left my show helmet in the car & was short on time) and it split up the back. I walked away, and the EMT couldn't believe I didn't have a concussion. Bought another immediately.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

I have a long oval head and find the Tipperary Sportage fits me the best out of any helmet. At around $60, I school in that and happily replace them without regrets when necessary. IIRC they ARE included in a lot of the sites that do Black Friday sales (VTO, etc.)
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I also *just* got a Tipparary Sportage for $66+shipping from equus now (and I had a coupon) for ride and ties, riding double on the therapeutic riding horses, and trail riding. I really like it so far. My regular helmet is a size 7 CO AYR8, and I have a med. Tipperary.

Quote Originally Posted by tua37516 View Post
    Agreed... if anything I feel that a perfectly fitted helmet would be safer than a dial fit as a have a very small head (6 7/8).
    For what its worth, I also wear 6 7/8 and have a more oval shaped head. I have an Ovation helmet for schooling. It fits me very well without using the dial feature, and better than most helmets I've tried. What the dial does is kind of "cup" your head. It doesn't make the helmet tighter, it just conforms the harness part to your head a little better. Very light and comfortable, stays on without head squeeze and the model I have has great airflow.
    Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction.
    Cowboy saying

2 members found this post helpful.