The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: My favorite saddle maker/brand is:

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Albion

14 12.28%
  • Black Country

7 6.14%
  • County

12 10.53%
  • Custom Saddlery

8 7.02%
  • DK

2 1.75%
  • JRD

1 0.88%
  • Reactor Panel

1 0.88%
  • Schleese

11 9.65%
  • Stubben

13 11.40%
  • Other

55 48.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Your Favorite Saddle Brand/Maker

I know I can't include all brands (poll max is 10), and I'm focused on the over $2k saddles, and especially those who often have reps who can custom/semi-custom fit the saddles. Which is your favorite? And if possible, add some comments about why.

I really like the English made saddles to ride in (County, Black Country, Masters, Baines) but unfortunately they tend to be too massive in the panels for the ponies I like the Stubbens A LOT, especially on the more TB type horse, and I find the balance and freedom really comfortable for me.

I love the newer Schleeses for their customization and adjustability, and the shoulder and back freedom they allow, but I really dislike their business practices, I found dealing with them a bit of a nightmare. I cannot stand the hard sell and expectation that you will just plunk down $5000+ for a saddle and drink their kool-aid. When you don't just write a check right away you are treated like crap. Also, friends that have them and aren't part of a barn that is a member of the Schleese cult have had real difficulties getting decent service from them.

JRD? What can I say except dealing with that company was the biggest nightmare ever. And I have met half a dozen people in person and gotten so many emails from people that have had the same problems.

I love my spirig. Its 12 years old and I ride in it 12x per week and sometimes more. Its balenced, not too much block, sturdy, and comfortable. I personally ride in it more thhan my perstige jump saddle. I love that the seat was not ultra deep, which I hate.

I had a prestige dressage saddle and I was fighting it like crazy. I have friends that swear by them, but jt just did not fit me.

Henning or however it is spelled makes a darn nice saddle. I almost bought one last year after trying a few, but went with another spirig. They are comfortable, but a bit restrictive. It was not too much a bother, but I felt it would bother me down the line.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I'm in massive love with my Antares. By far the best saddle I've ever owned.

That and my Vega by Amerigo. That, too, is a pretty spiffy saddle.

Well I recommend Hoepfner... Its very comfortable and if you live in Germany the Service is amazing!!
    Owned proudly by my horses and the Pony
    Blacky by Sandro Hit, Amica by Amidou,
    Sarasota (Princess) by Don Schufro and Daysie by Sandro Hit
    and last not least Kassandra GRP by Burstye Orpheus

I love my Devoucoux.

I'm partial to Passier GG.

I have had the following over the course of many years - Courbette, Stubben, Passier, Wintec, Albion, Keiffer, County, Rembrandt, Neidersuss, EuroRiding, Schleese, and probably a few others that I have forgotten.

Hands down best has been Schleese. Their fitting program is the most comprehensive I have ever seen, the wider channel and shoulder relief system has been a godsend to my horses, and they will build either a convex or concave seat, depending on what the rider needs (folks with "no butt" do better in a convex seat, while women with a bit of shape in their rear-end do better in a concave seat).

We've had probably 7-8 riders at our barn opt for Schleese saddles over the past 6 months or so, and I am not aware of problems getting service from them, but then again, our regional rep seems to be in the area pretty frequently.

Ihave heard people complain about Schleese service before and it has always bewildered me. I love my Link II but more importantly my horse who is short backed loves the shoulder relief and the shorter surface with a big channel.

I guess the region you live in and who services that area makes the difference, but the saddle itself? Wonderful, it is my second purchase from them.

By the way my saddler is www.skylandssaddlery.com. She is responsive, careful and has worked hard to get me the saddle I want at as good a price as possible. She also sold my previous Schleese with no problems.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I have a Schleese, purchased used and then tweaked to fit me and my horse by our regional rep/fitter. I loved the fact that it could be adjusted so well to fit my horse - who is wider than he looks, and has a big shoulder. He moves better in this saddle than he's done in others, including custom models (Devoucoux & Antares, both of which made him slightly back sore.)
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    We've had probably 7-8 riders at our barn opt for Schleese saddles over the past 6 months or so, and I am not aware of problems getting service from them, but then again, our regional rep seems to be in the area pretty frequently.
    That's the issue. If you are in a "Schleese Barn" then you typically get great service. If you are just a single person, not so much...

We also have the issue of having to deal with Schleese and Christiane Noelting who I have not found particularly pleasant to work with, nor helpful or accommodating in any way.

I really like the saddles, but had such a bad experience I just can't go there. I would LOVE to deal with an independent rep that was more responsive and less obnoxious and pushy and unaccommodating.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    That's the issue. If you are in a "Schleese Barn" then you typically get great service. If you are just a single person, not so much...

We also have the issue of having to deal with Schleese and Christiane Noelting who I have not found particularly pleasant to work with, nor helpful or accommodating in any way.

I really like the saddles, but had such a bad experience I just can't go there. I would LOVE to deal with an independent rep that was more responsive and less obnoxious and pushy and unaccommodating.
    Yeah, but I am a single dressage Schleese rider in my barn and I get superior service. It might be the region or the individual but my fitter is great and easy to get scheduled to come to my barn where there is no one else interested in Schleese saddles.

I do think the rep makes a huge difference! DY - that is interesting about the concave/convex seat and rider bootie I wish I could have added about 8 more options to the poll - I had a list of 16 saddle makers I wanted to list!

Quote Originally Posted by skykingismybaby1 View Post
    Yeah, but I am a single dressage Schleese rider in my barn and I get superior service. It might be the region or the individual but my fitter is great and easy to get scheduled to come to my barn where there is no one else interested in Schleese saddles.
    Did you read my post? Because that's pretty much exactly what I said.

Yes...the rep means EVERYTHING. Also the service of the company. I also love riding in the Trilogy saddles, but the rep is difficult to deal with and they have a no guarantee and no trade in policy. I will never ever buy a saddle for $4k++ that I cannot return if it comes and does not fit. Friends have had similar experiences with their County saddles. I have seen such nightmares that I am hesitant to ever buy a new saddle sight unseen ever again.

As a matter of fact, my desire to buy used nowadays comes less from wanting to save money, and more because I simply want to ride in the EXACT saddle I purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post

We have one horse with two Schleese saddles, jump and dressage, at the barn. We have had nothing but EXCELLENT service and have always been taken care of in every instance and have never had a problem with them. Fitter makes sure she lets us know when she is driving by and will stop if necessary.

Personally, it isn't my favorite saddle, I feel too far off the horses back, but it has worked great for the horse and rider is was made for.

I have been smitten with the older Albions and covet my students 5000 dressage, which I found for her. (Kick myself for not buying it and keeping it for myself )

I had an older Schleese custom dressage (bought used) & a County stabilizer jump saddle. I really like both saddles, but our mare didn't quite like the fit of the Schleese, so I just got her a County connection dressage. All of our horses adore the counties, so I voted for county - but I also love my Schleese. My only beef with Schleese is that the fitter in our area is pretty expensive compared to the county fitters.
    Blacktree Farm
    Lessons, training & sporthorse sales. Proud supporter of our buckskin German Warmblood stallion, Yeager GF.
    Blacktree Studio
    Graphic Design, Web Design & Photography.

Frank Baines Elegance....I bought it used and love it. My guy is 6...and I know I'll have to eventually get him something different - but for now - it's great and the local saddle fitter (does custom Borne') has tweaked, flocked and fitted it to the Padster as he changes.
    Heather
    Green Cove Springs, FL

I've loved both my Albion and my Prestige - had the Prestige 2000D (which I'm still kicking myself for sellling!) and currently have an older Albion SLK (my dream saddle from ages ago - my first trainer had one that she would let me borrow and I fell in love)

I don't know that many "big name" brands, but all I can say is I love my Passier
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DottieHQ View Post
    You're just jealous because you lack my extensive koalafications.

Default County

Have had 4 custom saddles with each coming out of the box perfect. Fifth one is on order now. There are many, many excellent saddles available these days. For me the difference is the rep. Our County rep has been coming in at least 2x a year for the past 8 years. Having that long term relationship is so valuable to keeping my horses and I at our best.
    m

1 members found this post helpful.