The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Selling a horse at a consignment barn

Has anyone had success sending a dressage horse to a better part of the country for the type of horse it is (I mean NOT the Midwest) to be sold successfully? Can anyone recommend a quality, ethical barn that does sales? Unless they have some success in a better part of the Midwest, I am probably looking East or Southwest. Horse is very marketable, as far as training and show record for it's age...and is priced to sell. Please PM me. Thanks!

Do you have any contacts with trainers who spend the winter in Florida? If so, might be worth shipping the horse to Florida and the the trainer could show and market the horse there.

Jennifer Baumert does sales, and is very reputable.

If you consign a horse for sale in another part of the country, you may quickly equal or exceed the cost of the horse in shipping, boarding and training fees.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

I realize that, that is why I am looking at all options. The horse is very marketable but is in the wrong part of the country. But no one is going to fly in the middle of nowhere to only look at one horse. But no, he won't go to a big name/snobby type of place. I actually got a very good contact from this post which would offer the best scenario if it all works out!

Quote Originally Posted by NJRider View Post
    I realize that, that is why I am looking at all options. The horse is very marketable but is in the wrong part of the country. But no one is going to fly in the middle of nowhere to only look at one horse. But no, he won't go to a big name/snobby type of place. I actually got a very good contact from this post which would offer the best scenario if it all works out!
    Well, that is great if it does.

I am always surprised at the people who spend $50,000 trying to sell a horse that they have been told would be worth $100,000--who end up in the end virtually giving the horse away to cut their losses. Glad to hear that you are not one of those people.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    If you consign a horse for sale in another part of the country, you may quickly equal or exceed the cost of the horse in shipping, boarding and training fees.
    But you also have to consider that you still have training & boarding fees in your "home" location if you choose to try and sell from that location. Probably not as high as a east coast or Florida fee structure, but not zero dollars either. In addition, if OP thinks the horse is very marketable, and can sell in half the time in a better locale, it may make more sense than it would seem to you on the surface.

Since you are apparently located in MA, it may be hard to truly appreciate how difficult it can be to sell a horse in a dressage wasteland. Depending on where the OP is located, it can cost a fortune for a buyer to get there to only see one horse.

I have considered the same option if I decide to sell my horse next year.

Quote Originally Posted by rothmpp View Post
    But you also have to consider that you still have training & boarding fees in your "home" location if you choose to try and sell from that location. Probably not as high as a east coast or Florida fee structure, but not zero dollars either. In addition, if OP thinks the horse is very marketable, and can sell in half the time in a better locale, it may make more sense than it would seem to you on the surface.

Since you are apparently located in MA, it may be hard to truly appreciate how difficult it can be to sell a horse in a dressage wasteland. Depending on where the OP is located, it can cost a fortune for a buyer to get there to only see one horse.

I have considered the same option if I decide to sell my horse next year.

That is true IF the seller has board and training costs currently in the same range. And IF the horse is priced to sell and IF there are buyers. I would want to research the average turnover time for a horse in that price range in the particular area before I would consign at a distance.

Just sayin' be careful. I see way too many otherwise intelligent, educated people take a financial beating....

Yes, you really have to weight the costs and all involved. I have had a few good scenarios. Of course, a sale is not a guarantee but the presence of actual buyers is very high. The horse is priced low for that area...and if sold and with the expenses I will still come out several thousand ahead. It is a crap shoot....but the training and board costs will be the same if not cheaper than here if I were to put him back in full training. Only difference is here, NO ONE is buying a horse. If I ride him home alone all winter then I am afraid I will lose benefit of the last 6 mo of professional training he had...then in the Spring I will be behind.

deleted
    Last edited by NJRider; Jan. 7, 2013 at 06:37 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.