The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help identifying horse

2 months ago, a friend and I took in a rescue mare. She was skin and bones, but now doing very well. She is a TB and the sweetest, kindest mare. She is so trusting and caring and patient.

We would love to find out who she is, and also try and find out if someone is missing her. She has a home now that will keep her forever, but if there is someone out there that was sick over losing her, we'd want to return her. She has a tattoo, but it has been altered/faded. She is only about 4 years old, so she is not old enough for it to have faded beyond reading naturally, and is obvious that it was "touched up" with different ink.

Is there anyway to try and figure out who she is? We have tried to piece it together and search the pedigrees, but haven't had any luck to date. Just wondering if there are any tricks out there that we just aren't privy to. May be a lost cause, but figured I'd ask.

The man that had her when we picked her up with animal control "bought her from his neighbor, who bought her from some guy who bought her at some auction." So no hopes of tracing it back that way...
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

If she has a tattoo you can go to the T.I.P. website, owned by the Jockey Club, and put in her markings and letter for year she was born. They will match her to her yearling photos and email you back with her tattoo number along with sire and dam. That would give you a start to figure out who she it! They even give you the option to attach pictures of her to be sure they are matching correctly.

http://tjctip.com/default.asp?page=7

https://www.registry.jockeyclub.com/...eakdown&init=Y

Good luck!!!!!
    Last edited by cswoodlandfairy; Nov. 14, 2012 at 01:05 PM. Reason: add link
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

1 members found this post helpful.

Taking photos of the tattoo and then playing around with it in photoshop to invert the colors or boost contrast can really aid in figuring out what it is. Be sure to wipe the lip dry before photos, otherwise the glare will get in the way.

The Jockey Club can also assist if you're just not able to turn up anything.

How altered is it? Can you make out ANY of the numbers? All you need is two numbers to search the database against color/markings.

I feel your pain, been trying to ID a canter listing but the tattoo is... not helping. heh.

I do know the JC is keeping DNA now, but I don't know how much it costs to run it, or if they can run a random sample without knowing the ID (if you have a name, I think they can tell you yes or no, but not sure they can run the sample against the db and come up with a name)
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

When I read the title, all I could think was...

Well, it has a mane and a tail and four hooves and makes your heart happy.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

2 members found this post helpful.

Nothing to offer in the way of help.
    Just thank you for taking her and getting her well
    I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    I do know the JC is keeping DNA now, but I don't know how much it costs to run it, or if they can run a random sample without knowing the ID (if you have a name, I think they can tell you yes or no, but not sure they can run the sample against the db and come up with a name)
    I read that it's in the ballpark of several hundred $$$.

Default Thoroughbred Incentive Program I.D. assistance

Hi! For purposes of the Thoroughbred Incentive Program (T.I.P.), horse owners who do not have access to a Thoroughbred's Certificate of Foal Registration and who are not able to successfully research a Thoroughbred’s tattoo may apply to The Jockey Club for assistance with identification of the horse. If The Jockey Club is able to identify the horse, a letter will be provided for participation in T.I.P.

We will first attempt identification using information contained in The Jockey Club's database, including color, markings, and history (breeder, name, last owner, etc.). This service is offered at no cost.

For horses born in 2001 or after that are not tattooed or for which tattoo research was unsuccessful, customers may submit a request to the Registry to DNA type the horse. There is an $80 fee associated with a request to DNA type a horse.

Please visit www.tjctip.com for more information or email tjctip@jockeyclub.com for further information on starting the process of getting a T.I.P. Eligibility letter.

Wow, is this T.I.P. program new? How very cool!

OP, good luck in finding out her history.

Thank you! T.I.P. was run as a pilot project for 2012, but has been approved for funding in 2013.

2 members found this post helpful.