The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default If you could learn a language...

*This is HR I promise!*

So for my gen. ed. requirements in college I need to do four semesters of a language. I'm not 100% sure what I want to do as a career, though I am interested in publishing(specifically equine related books). So my question to you all is, if you could learn a language, what language do you think would be most helpful in the future for someone who plans to be very involved in horses, yet probably won't be working in the barn 24/7?

Spanish. There are many barn, track, etc. workers that come from an hispanic background and what a joy to be able to speak with them directly!... especially to thank them for doing the job
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

1 members found this post helpful.

I agree with Chocomare, Spanish will be the most useful in the equestrian world, and certainly most useful in your everyday life. If you were going into a science or pre-vet field, I would have said Latin.
    Not only are there many Spanish speaking workers and riders in the equestrian world, the increase in the Hispanic population in the US overall means that growth and opportunities are likely to appear in the Spanish speaking market, in publishing, as well as in riding/showing/training.

2 members found this post helpful.

German. If you plan to be involved in any way with sporthorse breeding, international competition in the Olympic disciplines, or writing about breeding, competitions, and approvals, German is a great language to learn. The bonus is that once you have the basics, you should be able to read and understand some Dutch. The German and Dutch registries are very influential in the horse world.

1 members found this post helpful.

if you are only going to do four semesters and are starting a new language from scratch, I think one of the "romantic" languages is going to be easiest for you to pick up. You'll find more similarities in words, pronunciation, and grammar, compared to the germanic family (derman, dutch, etc). Within that category, Spanish would have the most practical applications. I majored in French and took a cpl courses inSpanish. For most ppl, french pronunciations are harder to master than Spanish.

I second smm20! If you want to work in the Equine Business German is important!!

English is a Germanic language, actually. There are quite a few similarities in grammar and it actually helps you understand proper grammar in English better (like the German dative and whom). Anyway, I agree with y'all about Spanish, but if you are taking the track smm20 suggests, don't be afraid of German!

I've been thinking about taking German. I took 3 years of Spanish in high school, so I have basic Spanish skills(not that any of them are particularly useful...) But I have been thinking German would be fun, especially since my trainer speaks fluent German!

if you're interested in publishing, I have to agree with the german suggestion. Many of the more scholarly equestrian works come from that culture, and even works in english often have german terminology in them.
    German is easy to pick up for the english speaker- they were the same language not too long ago.

Another vote for German.

When we travelled in Namibia, it was such a beautiful country that I would like to retire there some day. Big horsey community that speaks German. So, if you ever wanted to live in Africa one day, German would be a huge asset.

Well my father told me many many decades ago that Spanish, which he could speak, was going to become the universal language. He told me I should learn it.

Nope. I didn't like the sound of spanish. So after years of latin and french and german, all of which I loved, I can pick up some of what my german friends say. And I can read many romantic languages, all of which come from latin of course. And I can talk to Cloudy. Thanks to my german friends who taught me a lot of slang that I didn't learn in college!

I don't think that talking spanish courses in high school or college would have helped me with the mariolitos I tried, however. Our native born hispanic interpreters had a lot of trouble with interpreting for us in court. They didn't know all the street slang that our defendants used.

Meanwhile, I did learn geechee growing up and ebonics working in Atlanta. I could interpret both for anyone.

Now it would be good if I had learned spanish. But I still love the sound of german and french better. I went to public school back when we actually spoke latin in classes. In college, I thought about working in the foreign service. I passed the foreign service test in DC, but back then, one had to have an "in" to get into the officer corps.

Since you already have a foundation in Spanish, it might be a good idea to take some Spanish classes to bolster that up and also take an additional language like German or French. No matter whether you stay working in the equine profession or not, having multiple languages is a big plus and can really open up some opportunities for you.