The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Come Shine View Post
    They might be great for the horse but what about the poor groom who gets nailed when they try and do up that back zipper? The fellow in the video basically had to sit down in front of the horse's back legs to do it up.

It's one thing to see them put it on a well mannered, sedate horse. I would want to see a video of a newbie putting it on a greenie for the first time.
    Maybe some horses don't mind. Wouldn't this just be part of training? We make them tolerate a lot and generally they get over it. This really can't be that much more weird than us sitting on them for the first time or clipping or shoeing....

3 members found this post helpful.

I think they need to have versions with much more bling. How about some crystals and tassels? And of course colors like sparkleeeeee pink.

1 members found this post helpful.

It's a deeply flawed design:

I don't think any amount of lycra can provide a level of compression that would matter to any part of a 1,000 animal.

I'd venture to say the same for warmth. But you anti-dirt types might find a good use for one of these.

And zippers down the legs? So how do you use wraps?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I want one! My guy lives to make a mess out of his gleaming white hind legs when he ships -- Doubt I'd want to put the suit back on for the trip home after he 'christens' it -- Guess i need 2!
    "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    It's a deeply flawed design:

I don't think any amount of lycra can provide a level of compression that would matter to any part of a 1,000 animal.

I'd venture to say the same for warmth. But you anti-dirt types might find a good use for one of these.

And zippers down the legs? So how do you use wraps?
    Video from a vet that was involved with design of the suit & uses it with her personal horses.

Not sure about your query re wraps - re travel?
    The zipper is fully backed so not in direct contact with the leg.

There are enough human athletes that praise the technology that I'm inclined to be open to it's application to horses - not sure why being a 1000lb animal has any bearing upon how compression technology is being applied in this instance, at the least it would work in the same way that any leg wrap affects the leg.

I'm not understanding how this a deeply flawed design?

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Video from a vet that was involved with design of the suit & uses it with her personal horses.

Not sure about your query re wraps - re travel?
    The zipper is fully backed so not in direct contact with the leg.

There are enough human athletes that praise the technology that I'm inclined to be open to it's application to horses - not sure why being a 1000lb animal has any bearing upon how compression technology is being applied in this instance, at the least it would work in the same way that any leg wrap affects the leg.

I'm not understanding how this a deeply flawed design?
    So you'd wrap under or over the suit and zippers? Not sure I'd want to compress a zipper onto a leg.

And I think the compression issue with respect to a person versus a horse is a matter of scale. So, for example, when we wrap horses' lower legs and even go below the fetlock to provide external support, vets and anatomists laugh at our piddly efforts.

JMO.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

A lot of inventions were laughed at and ridiculed in the beginning, but have proven themselves over time.

If I was the trainer of a racehorse who tied up after races, I would use the suit to keep muscles warm and relaxed. And, for Black Cavier, she traveled 30 hours by plane, was able to walk off and be ridden the next day. She only arrived 5 - 7 days before her big race, and so she could not afford to miss any exercise.

However, she does look like a NASCAR with all the sponsor's logos on her suit.

I think if you go over to the eventing board, you will find favorable comments there. **** horses need to be at their best to jump clean in stadium. If the suit makes them even 5% better, it would be worth it to me.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    A lot of inventions were laughed at and ridiculed in the beginning, but have proven themselves over time.

If I was the trainer of a racehorse who tied up after races, I would use the suit to keep muscles warm and relaxed. And, for Black Cavier, she traveled 30 hours by plane, was able to walk off and be ridden the next day. She only arrived 5 - 7 days before her big race, and so she could not afford to miss any exercise.

However, she does look like a NASCAR with all the sponsor's logos on her suit.

I think if you go over to the eventing board, you will find favorable comments there. **** horses need to be at their best to jump clean in stadium. If the suit makes them even 5% better, it would be worth it to me.

Wouldn't you want even a little scientific evidence of efficacy first?! Not even a shred? Other than a couple anecdotes from people who are likely paid for their endorsement?

What if a $40 sleazy and $40 worth of wraps was just as effective. Still want to shell out $600 and squeeze your horse into a compression suit?!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    So you'd wrap under or over the suit and zippers? Not sure I'd want to compress a zipper onto a leg.

And I think the compression issue with respect to a person versus a horse is a matter of scale. So, for example, when we wrap horses' lower legs and even go below the fetlock to provide external support, vets and anatomists laugh at our piddly efforts.

JMO.
    They laugh because you can offer small amounts of protection from knocks but you really can't support anything.

Not that I'm going to go out and buy it or anything but if it makes the horse feel like my legs do after wearing my compressions socks all day-two thumbs up! How you'd tell for sure though is the problem, anecdotal evidence may not be enough to convince people to spend that amount of money. I think free trials are in order! I'd try it then.
    "Those who know the least often know it the loudest."

5 members found this post helpful.

Kind of off topic, but I find it fascinating that, very recently, someone has "not appreciated" virtually every even remotely negative comment about this product. Anyone else think the manufacturer or distributor has miraculously appeared to anonymously defend their product?

This whole anonymous, "approve" or "disapprove" thing is really interesting.

Then again, I am on a plane right now with too much downtime on my hands. I likely never would have noticed otherwise.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by TarheelJD View Post
    Kind of off topic, but I find it fascinating that, very recently, someone has "not appreciated" virtually every even remotely negative comment about this product. Anyone else think the manufacturer or distributor has miraculously appeared to anonymously defend their product?

This whole anonymous, "approve" or "disapprove" thing is really interesting.

Then again, I am on a plane right now with too much downtime on my hands. I likely never would have noticed otherwise.
    Too funny my anonymous "disapproving" friend. Thanks for the laugh while I am stuck on this boring flight.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Instead of disliking... Wouldn't the time be better spent doing some research to prove the technology works at all?!
    ~Veronica

It would probably be hard to find outside grant money to do research on this product, so most of the research would be coming from the company which is always a little questionable. I did try to find some credentials for vet that was endorsing it but couldn't find anything about her except her testimonial.

Quote Originally Posted by kmwines01 View Post
    It would probably be hard to find outside grant money to do research on this product, so most of the research would be coming from the company which is always a little questionable.
    This would be an accurate statement in regard to a great deal of product research BUT this is why independent firms of impeccable reputations exist within the scientific commmunity (& they charge a very pretty penny for their services).

You've been reading Velvet's conspiracy thread & taking it far too seriously - I suspect the thumbsdowners are just running amok while the opportunity still presents.

(must admit I've been forced to sit upon my own baaaad thumbs )

Then again, I am on a plane right now with too much downtime on my hands.
    It's the atmosphere

You've been reading Velvet's conspiracy thread & taking it far too seriously - I suspect the thumbsdowners are just running amok while the opportunity still presents.

(must admit I've been forced to sit upon my own baaaad thumbs )

It's the atmosphere
    I think I stumbled into something inadvertently. I had no idea about Velvet's thread when I typed that post. I really did just think it was interesting that all of a sudden there was the string of "thumbs down ratings" on a product thread, especially when many of the posts were just humorous quips.

Then all of a sudden I have some "thumbs down stalker" on a bunch of completely innocuous posts. I had no idea there was some firestorm going on about this until I looked at some of the others threads on the plane.

But it's really not that big of a deal. I actually thought it was kind of funny, thus my second post. I guess it goes back the old saying "there is no such thing as bad publicity." If someone reads my posts and wants to give it a "thumbs down," it's cool with me. But it seems kind of silly on posts such as telling someone you like their horse's name, or congratulating someone on a good ride/lesson.

Anyway - sorry to hijack this thread momentarily. Just wanted to reply.

This would be an accurate statement in regard to a great deal of product research BUT this is why independent firms of impeccable reputations exist within the scientific commmunity (& they charge a very pretty penny for their services).

Bummer that a reputible company might have to SPEND MONEY before making wild efficacy claims. What is this world coming to? I thought the plan was come up with an idea and open the coffers for the money to come flooding in. What, you mean there's EFFORT involved?!
    ~Veronica

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Bummer that a reputible company might have to SPEND MONEY before making wild efficacy claims. What is this world coming to? I thought the plan was come up with an idea and open the coffers for the money to come flooding in. What, you mean there's EFFORT involved?!
    There's no way that a minor company such as Hidez could afford the sort of money that these companies charge

I just don't see that Hidez claims are any more offensive/less reputable than most other products on offer ... since I was just reading a post on cribbing collars - what a load of bunk is claimed on those products & no mention ever of the risks of using the collars or links to any of the many veterinary studies on crib-biting in horses & risk/effect/suitable treatment etc.

Then all of a sudden I have some "thumbs down stalker" on a bunch of completely innocuous posts. I had no idea there was some firestorm going on about this until I looked at some of the others threads on the plane.
    Welcome to the not-very-exclusive group
    There are numerous topics that seem to have garnered the attentions of the thumbs down stalker