The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dog Blankets (aka Coats)

What's the best dog blankets out there that are reasonable and hold up well? My brother's pit bull is coming up north for a visit (she's meeting the rest of the family, finally, which includes two obnoxious cocker spaniels) and she needs a blanket, so says my mom and brother. I'm in charge of finding something to fit her.

These are our "requirements":
    * Waterproof
    * Lined with something (fleece/flannel/etc)
    * Reflective - can be just a stripe or two, the whole coat doesn't need to be reflective
    * Not too girly - as I can't see my brother walking his dog around in a hot pink coat, just not his style.
    * Needs to come in a 24" length (collar to tail)
    * Prefer a belly-wrap style, perhaps with something around the legs? not sure how she'd react to that (former shelter dog)

Thank you for any help. I've been attempting to check out Smartpak and Weatherbeeta's sites but my computer is acting weird. FWIW, we've got Smartpak blankets for our other dogs and LOVE them (SP pink and SP blue). Super warm and very durable. However, it's probably too girly for my brother.
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

The SmartPak coats don't come lined I was going to suggest also the Schneiders coats (look just like their horse turnouts) but they aren't lined either.

The combination I use on my blue Dobe a lot of the times is her fleece SmartPak coat with the "lightweight turnout sheet" Schneiders coat on top. That set up is for fall days like this....sunny and in the 40's

Well, I guess I shouldn't say lined... but it needs to have some fill. Some "blankets" are seriously just a piece of fabric, which doesn't do anything. I'm looking for something with warmth. Granted, Luna lives down in MO and not the balmy MN that she's visiting, but we'd like a true blanket, not sheet.

I'll check out Schneiders to see what they've got to offer. Forgot about them.
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

I bought a Weatherbeeta dog coat on clearance last year (it is actually this blanket, http://www.doversaddlery.com/Weather...301320X1-24792) for our boxer mix. It is a great blanket, waterproof, has 220 grams polyfil, has reflective tape, and is easy to get on. I actually just bought two more Weatherbeetas for our other dogs as they hate the Altrec Ruffwear dog coats I got them, but they do not mind these at all. I have put my hand under the coat and it gets toasty in there!

RC Pets!

http://www.rcpets.com/rcpets/index.p...oat#main_panel

I have several of their coats and they hit all of your must haves

I adore the ones I've bought from Saratoga Horseworks. I also like the ones we have from Smartpak

I've been cruising Ebay and have found a "bunch" of suitable coats for my Boxer and Lion Hound...both a VERY short haired and our temps are dropping. Some are more durable - sort of like Carhartt material and others are a bit lighter weight outer shell. Some have sherpa or nylon lining. Most are a LOT cheaper than the RC Pet ones I checked out...generally $15 to $50. You might want to check them out.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by TheHotSensitiveType View Post
    I bought a Weatherbeeta dog coat on clearance last year (it is actually this blanket, http://www.doversaddlery.com/Weather...301320X1-24792) for our boxer mix. It is a great blanket, waterproof, has 220 grams polyfil, has reflective tape, and is easy to get on. I actually just bought two more Weatherbeetas for our other dogs as they hate the Altrec Ruffwear dog coats I got them, but they do not mind these at all. I have put my hand under the coat and it gets toasty in there!
    I have one of these but in navy blue solid. i really like the velcro straps, makes adjusting very easy. It feels like it will be nice and warm.

Elf o' Shine Guest

Weatherbeeta.

This site has some great stuff: http://www.k9apparel.com/

I ended up using them because we have a hard to fit greyhound. What worked best for our mild Houston weather was their fleece "tummy warmer" and their rain coat. We can layer them the couple times a year where it gets cold and rainy, and we can use them separately the rest of the time. I've also heard great things about their winter coats.

Our stuff has held up very nicely. Another nice thing about them, they can do custom, but they also have a variety of sizes readily available for each breed type. Our girl fits in a standard greyhound size, so they can ship immediately.

Looks like their winter coat would fit all of your criteria:
    * Waterproof (check, though there is a fleece turtleneck/hood portion that is not waterproof))
    * Lined with something (fleece/flannel/etc) (check)
    * Reflective - can be just a stripe or two, the whole coat doesn't need to be reflective (check, nice strip on the hindquarters)
    * Not too girly - as I can't see my brother walking his dog around in a hot pink coat, just not his style. (check, very workmanlike yet nicely cut/tailored)
    * Needs to come in a 24" length (collar to tail) (check, any size you need, and they do theirs based on breed type, which helps with the overall fit)
    * Prefer a belly-wrap style, perhaps with something around the legs? not sure how she'd react to that (former shelter dog) (check, their belly wrap is made to keep the coat from shifting without needing leg straps)

Also, customer service is great. You can call and immediately chat with someone if you aren't sure of sizing, etc.

My whippets need WARM coats for the winter here in Canada!
    The warmest, best made coats I have found are from Blue Willow Dog Coats
    http://www.bwdogcoats.com/order-form.html

I also have coats for them from Chilly Dogs for spring and fall.
    http://www.chillydogs.ca/index.php/product/index/30
    Not quite warm enough for my wimpy dogs in the dead of winter - but really well made and waterproof.

We got our boxer a Prestige cover for this winter: wind/water proof outer, dacron fill and lined = lovely and snuggly warm.

Not the best pics but here he is ... http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoser...61109_full.jpg
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?

I got this blanket from Dover several years ago and was exceedingly happy with it. There is tons of fleece inside, but the dog always stays warm and dry. Very well made.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/dog-tur...ket/p/X1-5407/