The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Should have known! I'll pass that story along to my buddy too... he'll like it.

1 members found this post helpful.

Fitting cattle for shows can be a big money maker, if you offer the service to cattle breeders. We knew some horse ladies that earned their horse money fitting cattle for a local breeder. The ladies would go to the big cattle shows, work their magic, so the ring person had a "work of art" to lead into the arena. Cattle won, though they WERE well built to start with.

I was told the hairy legs are supposed to make cattle look heavy boned. Cattle breeders WANT good legs with enough bone and hoof to support the full-grown animal at maturity. They toss or cull out animals with poor bone, unlike horse folks. Of course fluff on legs can be seen thru to ACTUAL bone by the experienced Judges, but fluffy styling of legs is the desired look right now, to go with plush body hair. Does look odd if you are not used to looking at groomed cattle.

At our local Fair, there are a number of rules forbidding the use of professional groomers, adding color or waxes to the animals. Daughter had both Dairy beef and Beef breed animals, which would each be presented slightly differently. Heads got clipped tight, with the interesting shaping of hair at the tail head. I am not sure of all the reasons, certainly some was just "current style" in trimming. Way different than the horse preparation, but no less involved. Your white had BETTER GLITTER or you were not going to make the top cuts. Her young animals both got at least two baths in special shampoo. Then she blow-dried them before the classes. Fair "style" was for just well combed tails, poofs were out. Halter styles can vary, with some glitter halters being popular with the girls showing right now.

Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post
    Fitting cattle for shows can be a big money maker, if you offer the service to cattle breeders. We knew some horse ladies that earned their horse money fitting cattle for a local breeder. The ladies would go to the big cattle shows, work their magic, so the ring person had a "work of art" to lead into the arena. Cattle won, though they WERE well built to start with.
    yeah that is a salient point....cheap cattle are not overly improved by fitters magic... :>

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Lesson learned in the 80's-big hair and hairspray can only help so much!

Those pictures are poorly done photoshops. If you think show grooming a horse is time consuming try show grooming a cow. They are washed, blow dried, hair sprayed, clipped and painted. If their topline isn't perfect they'll blow dry, spray, comb and clip the hair in such a way as to give the illusion of a perfect top line. It takes hours.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

We raise some of those fuzzy club calves. Starting at about 2 months old, the calves get daily baths - twice daily mid-May through mid-September - to "train" the hair. It will naturally lay flat, but when you blow dry it "up" every day, it begins to grow that way. Our calves spend the nights outside, and come into the air conditioning when the sun comes up.

Before taking the critter to a show, or showing it for sale to someone, you get the clippers out and start "sculpting". It's not like clipping a horse at all. You must have a very steady hand, and an even better eye to see the right top line, quarter and hip in all that hair. You want to see a well balanced profile, a strong top line, big hip, a long neck with a pretty head (fuzzy ears get bonus points . Also, soundness is important - especially in heifers. It's not as pertinent to steers, as they only live about 18 months, until they end up on your plate.

There are a lot of bad calves out there, that look pretty darn good to the untrained eye, when fed, washed and fit by the right person. The unfortunate part of that, is that there is no certification or credentials needed to be a judge. Any Joe who raises cattle can judge a show if they get asked. Needless to say, bad calves win more than they should. My biggest pet peeve about the industry. Well - that and multiple clones. But that's another thread....

3 members found this post helpful.

Really multi clones in the same show???/ WOW that never crossed my mind.
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

"I noticed that ALL of these photos show snow on the ground – winter pictures,"

Yes, but if you look especially at the bottom pic, you can see that at least that one is a background replacement.
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Cloning cattle is much easier, and has a much higher success rate than the cloning of horses. The 2012 Grand Champion steer at the Iowa State Fair was a clone of the 2008 Champion Steer. Big drama....

Watched the news tonight, and they were running around the Ex talking to cattlemen preparing for Agribition. They showed people bathing, clipping, blow drying, brushing and back combing all kinds of beef cattle and never once was there a 'cow' with thick fuzzy legs like in those pics.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

I found Kindle book written from the perspective of a show cow. It goes into the whole primping and judging thing extensively. It's "The Right Colour" by Andy Frazier. It's a fun read if you are into animal stories.