The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Favorite custom field boots that won't break the bank?

My field boots are showing their age and splitting in multiple places. I will need a new pair in the spring and have challenging calves.

I'm quite tall but have extremely wide calves (17") and have yet to find a pair of off the shelf boots that are both extra tall and extra wide. My current pair is wide enough but needs more height (well over an inch). If anyone has any off the shelf suggestions I would be thrilled!

Because of my calves from hell I think I'll have to go the custom route and just take care of these things like they are gold.

Who do you like for custom boots that aren't going to kill me in price? I don't need anything special; no sparkles, no patent leather top, no American flag insert; just really tall and really wide.

Thanks!

My husband LOVES his La Mundial boots http://www.lamundial.com/ - I think they were $500 when he bought them about 4 years ago, but it looks like they're $600 now. He doesn't use them as his everyday boots so they've really held up well.
    Erin
    Dodon Farm - Home of Salute The Truth, Thoroughbred Stallion and on Facebook
    The Retired Racehorse Training Project, a 501(c)3 Non profit organization.

1 members found this post helpful.

Casa de las Botas-lots of threads on them, including my own. I bought a pair when I was down in Argentina and seriously love them. So do my hard to fit legs I paid around $420 but its because I was down there, with shipping I believe its around $600. They don't really offer any special leather (like calf) so I have been using mine for everyday riding and they are holding up great. Break in time was practically nothing (like, one ride, maybe? If that) and they are super comfortable to walk/ride around in.

I had a similar prob with a wider calf but was able to get Sergio Grassos semi-custom with custom results- nice narrow ankle, gorgeous leather, perfect calf fit & lots of sizes. They are more expensive tho at about $900. :/
    What about tredsteps?
    And the wise, Jack Daniels drinking, slow-truck-driving, veteran TB handler who took "no shit from no hoss Miss L, y'hear," said: "She aint wrapped too tight."

Thank you! The Sergio Grasso's are gorgeous but they are a pretty penny.

Both La Mundial and Casa de las Botas have lovely boots. It appears that I will need to plan for a visit to a big show or other representative to be properly measured.

I would love a pair of golden brown boots but they are entirely too impractical.