The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by runNjump86 View Post
    Am I the only one thinking this is a self-made problem, based on the info above? Another post from OP says horse is good until he decides one day he is NOT doing XYZ. Based on those statements, it sounds like OP allows horse to decide when he has to do XYZ, and if he doesn't feel like it, then no big deal. Sorry OP but it sounds like you kept letting him get away with more and more regarding clipping his ears, and now you have a Big Problem.

Lip chain. Repetition. Angry voice. Track Guy. Repetition again. Just keep at it and don't let HIM decide when he's done...with anything. That's the shortcut to More Big Problems down the road.
    I make him do things he doesn't want to when it's necessary. He doesn't regularly get to decide what he does and doesn't want to do. He doesn't really want his sheath cleaned but he gets it. He would rather I not daily syringe Force Flex into his mouth-- but I do and he has to take it.

And every single time he's said "no ears, NO." I've forced him to get through it, usually with a lip chain and a twitch and a bit of a fight (because so far no one else holds the twitch as effectively). He's never "gotten away with it." Ever. Every single time I've gone to clip ears, he's gotten them clipped. With different measures of success in terms of how GOOD the clipjob looks...

I just dread doing it because I know he's going to be such a pill about it. It's really clear that this BOTHERS him and given how compliant he is most of the time, I don't enjoy torturing him
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I feel for you. I have tried every. single. thing. and my horse will NOT tolerate facial/ear clipping without a huge amount of sedation and a twitch. One of the trainers at my boarding barn does it for me - I have benign familial tremor (shaky hands) and would not/have not ever dreamed of trying to do it myself - I'd cut him.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!