The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Cool Always Funny - UPDATE!!! Post #7

Hello Owners!

I am happy to say I will be out of the hospital and headed out to visit AF at her lovely home on Sunday to get some updated photos and information about our girl. I was hoping to have gotten it done this summer but it just didn't happen. I want to thank everyone for being so patient and let you know that I hear she is doing just great at her new home. Come Sunday evening I will have new photos and updates for you all!! You can check her Facebook page Sunday night, and I will also drop another message on this thread when the updated info is on there for the whole world to enjoy.

Thanks again to Kim S. for taking her in, and to all of YOU for what you came together to do for this red head in her time of need. I can't wait to see her and subsequently update you all on her progress!!
    Last edited by alittlegray; Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:20 PM.
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

2 members found this post helpful.

I commented on the FB page but will here as well. Can't wait to hear the update and see the pics and please give her a hug for me/us!

P.

So looking forward to the update! Thanks for taking the time to do this...please give her a hug and some carrots from me!!!

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing the update on FB!
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Hope you're doing better, ALG! Thanks for posting, I didn't see your update on FB. Blasted timeline...mutter...growl...

Can't wait to see pictures!
    Horse & Dog Designs: Clothing, Pendants, Water Bottles, Totes, Phone Cases, ETC:
    WoofNWhinny*
    NEW: Schnauzers, Boxers, Western, & Polo Ponies

Horsey Humor, Ponies, Barn Safety & More.

Can't wait to hear the update!! And best wishes to you.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Well, our girl is doing great! They let me out of the hospital Saturday evening, so Sunday I bundled up the family and headed out to Remington for a visit. We got there at the perfect time as the herd had just come up to the barn from the back 40. The farm is a wonderful place, nice fields and a great barn. Kim said that Funny will NOT willingly be stalled, although they have a stall for her. Fortunately her barn is built with a great overhang where Funny can get out of the elements should she choose to.

Kim says her eyesight has started to suffer, although she gets along just fine with her buddies in the herd and they say it as if she has always been part of the herd. Kim also says Funny is totally capable of busting out in full Thoroughbred gallop up the hills when she wants to!

Her feet look amazing - she used to have deep lines cutting across her hooves around the coronet band on both front feet, now her hooves look strong and healthy.

She has gained weight in her hips and neck and legs. When she shed out finally over the summer, Kim said she could see the mare had been pin fired at some point on her front legs. What was most striking to me was her coat. In March when we got her, although it was already creeping close to 90 some days Funny still had a winter coat that was rough, long, scraggly and patched with some kind of rain rot or other nastiness. Now her winter coat is thick, soft and shines with health. She practically glowed red in the setting sun, and was just so content to eat her dinner and be loved on. I stood for a long time in the cold with my arms wrapped around her neck, face pressed into her fur and fingers buried in her mane. She dropped her head over my shoulder and huffed a little sigh, then let me stand there and breath her in. It was great therapy for me!

I want everyone to know she is clearly loved. Kim and her SO were just the right fit for this gal, it couldn't have worked out any better. She is clearly content, thriving and seems like she will be around a good long while yet. Kim did say the summer was a little tough on her with some of the extreme heat and the awful bombers we had this year. I can understand what with the awful malnutrition she was recovering from. But she looks so much better now, and fortunately she still has all her teeth at 30!

I'm grateful I got to visit, Kim and her SO are SUPER nice people and very welcoming. Hopefully it won't be so long between visits next time.

There are more updated photos on the Facebook page, here are a couple.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...85026202_o.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...54433162_n.jpg

Glad she's doing well. Thanks for the update! (And thank you Kim and SO for lovingly caring for her!)

Posted on FB but it is worth repeating it here... thank you so much to all that made this move possible and esp. to Kim and SO. This old lady looks so good and so happy!! She is in horse heaven... such a beautiful farm and buddies!!

Thank you for the update!

Does she have a turnout blanket? It can be the secret weapon to helping a senior gain/maintain their weight over the winter. You don't want them burning calories keeping warm if possible.

I know she has one, I asked Kim if she needed one and she said she had several that fit her. I didn't ask her how often she blankets her, but the whole herd looked healthy and well cared for so I'm sure she puts one on her when she needs to. She has an incredibly thick winter coat though.

Glad you are out of the hospital!!
    The pictures you took of her are wonderful. She looks great and she looks happy. Nicely done everyone!!

Quote Originally Posted by alittlegray View Post
    Hello Owners!

I am happy to say I will be out of the hospital and headed out to visit AF at her lovely home on Sunday to get some updated photos and information about our girl. I was hoping to have gotten it done this summer but it just didn't happen. I want to thank everyone for being so patient and let you know that I hear she is doing just great at her new home. Come Sunday evening I will have new photos and updates for you all!! You can check her Facebook page Sunday night, and I will also drop another message on this thread when the updated info is on there for the whole world to enjoy.

Thanks again to Kim S. for taking her in, and to all of YOU for what you came together to do for this red head in her time of need. I can't wait to see her and subsequently update you all on her progress!!

Thank you so much for the update! I think about her often and was wondering how she was doing. I too just got out of the hospital after neck spinal surgery and the update just made my day! It is an honor to be involved in getting Funny to Kim's beautiful and perfect farm where she can live out her days happy and loved! If she needs anything all Kim has to do is let her owners here know and we will get it to her! COTHers rock!