The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best USEAEvents in Area 1&2 for Novice?

I am looking to move around and compete outside of the New England area this coming year and was hoping to get some input on the events that happen in NY/PA/NJ etc area. I am a Novice rider, eventually looking to move up to training. Any input on venues such as Plantation, Fitches, Stuart, Jersey Horse Park? I've ridden at GMHA and Hitching Post as well as UNH already. Any input would be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by mmcgrade View Post
    I am looking to move around and compete outside of the New England area this coming year and was hoping to get some input on the events that happen in NY/PA/NJ etc area. I am a Novice rider, eventually looking to move up to training. Any input on venues such as Plantation, Fitches, Stuart, Jersey Horse Park? I've ridden at GMHA and Hitching Post as well as UNH already. Any input would be awesome!
    Well, if you come as far South as Virginia (AreaII) we have tons ie: Maryland Horse Trials and anything at Loch Moy, VHT is awesomest and has camping. Good luck and have fun.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Stuart is amazing, very "big event" feel and also quite maximum courses and top competition. Plantation is great, lower key, but very hilly and the SJ is often quite tough. Jersey Horse Park is good, although ex-race horses sometimes find the atmosphere tough (barns and white fencing apparently brings race flashbacks). Bucks County Horse Park is another that has been improving as is Flora Lea, both quite novice friendly, although the warm-up area at Flora Lea is pretty cramped, so if you have a horse that doesn't do well with that, it would not be a great choice. Genessee Valley has a new designer and I really like his courses. Radnor has one event in the fall, but it is a fabulous novice. Have also heard much good about Fitch's and about Millbrook.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Millbrook is my all time favorite event - gorgeous place, GREAT courses and and fun atmosphere, plus where else do you get to see all 6 levels run at once? Stuart is a great one as well - tougher courses than Millbrook, I would say. Same with Fitch's - rode the Novice this year and it was nearly a soft Training.

Fitch's is great. I actually find the height on the jumps pretty low but the questions are just right. I also like that the course is really nicely maintained.
    The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears. ~ Arabian Proverb

In this area I think my top choices would be Fair Hill and MCTA, with MD HT a close third. But I am lazy and spoiled and think two hours is almost too far to drive for Novice. Actually almost all of the ones around here (Maryland/ Eastern PA/ NOVA ) are pretty nice, but if you're coming that far I'd aim for one of the big ones so that you can watch Advanced and Intermediate. And the xc jumps at MD HT are pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer55 View Post
    Well, if you come as far South as Virginia (AreaII) we have tons ie: Maryland Horse Trials and anything at Loch Moy, VHT is awesomest and has camping. Good luck and have fun.
    I'll add to this great list Middleburg; I think it's one of the best Novice courses around. Surefire is a wonderful event, too!

Stuart is our primo event around here! Like everyone else has mentioned, tough, solid courses (definitely not a move up!). It is hilly! Fitness has got to be there or you will have one tired, sore horse by the end of xc.

GVH has a new course designer and it flows really well (I think, I'm not all that experienced). It's a good solid course, nothing "OMG that's Novice!" but not a free ride either.

Another vote for MD HT, what a smooth running show! Middleburg is nice- I think it has a great XC course. I felt like it was the most technical xc course I've ridden this year, for the novice level. Surefire is also nice, although the walk to dressage and show jumping is a little ways, but that's expected for a big event. Area II really has some great trials!

Quote Originally Posted by Heliodoro View Post
    Stuart is our primo event around here! Like everyone else has mentioned, tough, solid courses (definitely not a move up!). It is hilly! Fitness has got to be there or you will have one tired, sore horse by the end of xc.

GVH has a new course designer and it flows really well (I think, I'm not all that experienced). It's a good solid course, nothing "OMG that's Novice!" but not a free ride either.
    I'm not sure if you meant GVH or GVRDC, they are NOT the same (as in lumping Genesee Valley events together). GVRDC has new course designer as of last year and has been getting great feedback on his courses. Not sure what the response has been to GVH. I would recommend either one for Novice though the ground can be hard in the middle of summer if not aerated or conditioned somehow.