The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boarding (field or stall) near Washington, DC

Hi!

I am planning to move to Washington DC in May or June, and I would love to be able to bring my thoroughbred with me. Because of the busy work schedule I anticipate having, I likely will only be able to ride him on the weekends, so he will more or less be a pet. Does anyone know of any reasonably priced places near DC to board? I'd be open to field or stall board, assuming the facilities were nice enough and safe. The closer to DC the better, and I do not need an indoor. I'm looking for something affordable, as I'm just starting out on my own after college. I know "cheap" is a longshot in this area, but the cheaper the better. He's a sweet guy and an easy keeper, so I'd also be open to keeping him at a private farm and working something out with the owners.

Let me know if you have any ideas, and thanks so much for your help!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Welcome! Good luck with the move to DC, you will LOVE the area as long as you can put up with high prices and absurd traffic. Just so you know there is a "search" function on COTH where you can search old topics. There are literally 2435098 topics on boarding around DC, both Maryland and Virginia sides.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Here is the synopsis of this well worn topic: There is no cheap board near DC. There is almost no field board near DC. There are places to board, but will cost you $$$ unless you go further out, and then you will pay $$$ in gas as well as hours on the road. It would be advisable to get here and see what the area is like before even trying to move your horse here. I wish I could be more positive.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

3 members found this post helpful.

Are you going to be living in the city or in one of the suburbs? If you can narrow down where you will be living it will be easier to point you in the right direction.

I will likely be living in the city, but if not I'll probably be in Arlington.

I'm from VA, lived in Arlington for the last 5+y and drove to Poolesville md for lessons or out to middleburg/lovettsville to ride. An hour each way, no traffic. Timed after 0930h & before 1500h or after 1930h, you should be fine

It sucks.
    And the wise, Jack Daniels drinking, slow-truck-driving, veteran TB handler who took "no shit from no hoss Miss L, y'hear," said: "She aint wrapped too tight."

1 members found this post helpful.

If you're willing to drive an hour outside of the city, check in Frederick county. Lots of cheap field board available.

My barn is great and field board is around $250 a month, with tons of T/O and awesome BO. Its about 50 miles from downtown.

You can PM me if you'd like other suggestions in frederick, etc.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

I board at Equidistance Horse Center in Upper Marlboro MD which is only a 25 min drive from DC. The barn owner is a vet tech and takes excellent care of the horses. I boarded my 18 year old schoolmaster at a large boarding farm in VA when I first bought him but after three weeks he lost a ton of weight and was miserable. Within a month at Equidistance he started looking much better and now he looks like he's 14. We have both hunter jumper and dressage riders, mostly adult amateur and many of whom are busy professionals who come before or after work to ride. We frequently clinic with many top trainers including Felicitas von-Neumann Cosel and Linda Zang and we have other trainers available on site for lessons and training rides. We also travel to the BEST Hunter/Jumper and licensed dressage shows together. Last year three of our riders qualified for GAIGs at training-2nd level. If you are a busy professional (or intern!) that needs a boarding facility close to the city with excellent care at a very reasonable cost you should check out Equidistance http://www.facebook.com/pages/Equidi...37625072976024

Here are some suggestions if you are going to live in NW area of DC - say G'town/ Glover Park areas -these could take you anywhere from 30 to 45+ min depending on traffic. There's a good tack shop on your way out to most of them too!

You could try Calithea which has field and stall board - it's mostly a pleasure boarding barn but there is an H/J and low level event trainer who teaches there. Worth a try - the manager there really looks after the field horses; nice large lighted outdoor and great trails. Its located about 5 miles past Potomac, MD.

Another place would be Two Sisters Farm - they have field and stall board I believe and I think stall is around $600; mix of boarders- eventers and fox hunters mostly I believe. Her daughters are fantastic riders so could help keep your horse tuned up for you if need be. Two Sisters is in Poolesville/Dickerson area. I think Canterbury and Wyndam Oaks have field board, Wyndam Oaks is fairly pricey, not sure about Canterbury - both are in Boyds Maryland. For Canterbury you can go to Bigeasyfarm.com for info - he's a trainer that works out of that barn; wyndam-oaks.com; and another in that area would be Moon Rising - they have a huge indoor, outdoor, lots of trails - dressage and eventing barn and offer stall & field board. Moonrisingfarm.com. I have friends who board at all of these places and seem happy w/ them.

Quote Originally Posted by hannoveriangirl View Post
    I board at Equidistance Horse Center in Upper Marlboro MD which is only a 25 min drive from DC. The barn owner is a vet tech and takes excellent care of the horses. I boarded my 18 year old schoolmaster at a large boarding farm in VA when I first bought him but after three weeks he lost a ton of weight and was miserable. Within a month at Equidistance he started looking much better and now he looks like he's 14. We have both hunter jumper and dressage riders, mostly adult amateur and many of whom are busy professionals who come before or after work to ride. We frequently clinic with many top trainers including Felicitas von-Neumann Cosel and Linda Zang and we have other trainers available on site for lessons and training rides. We also travel to the BEST Hunter/Jumper and licensed dressage shows together. Last year three of our riders qualified for GAIGs at training-2nd level. If you are a busy professional (or intern!) that needs a boarding facility close to the city with excellent care at a very reasonable cost you should check out Equidistance http://www.facebook.com/pages/Equidi...37625072976024
    I would not recommend this barn if you're trying to do inexpensive (board is around $600 last time I checked) and want decent turnout and good riding arenas. Their "fields" are small, rocky, and hardly any grass (mostly weeds). The indoor is dusty and tiny and the footing isn't great. There is an outdoor, but it's straight up bluestone, and unless it rains, is hard as a rock and dusty. The barn manager WAS a small animal vet tech, but now "runs" the barn full-time. The horses get 3 flakes of hay thrown out for each horse in turnout and the flakes aren't measured by weight, so you have horses turned out all night/day with little to do but cause trouble with each other. Unless the hay quality has changed, the flakes weren't substantial. Turnover has been fairly high there in the past 6 months. There are plenty of other places in the area who offer what you're looking for at a more reasonable price with better facilities and who have management with more thorough experience and who are more professional.
    Last edited by Alteration By Design; May. 1, 2013 at 05:41 PM.

Just FYI - this thread is several months old, bumped up by hannoveriangirl with the same post as in another old thread about boarding in the DC area. The identical posts, bumping up old threads, and small number of posts (all of which are identical posts about Equidistance bumping up old threads) makes me suspicious of some back-door advertising...
    ~Drafties Clique~Sprite's Mom~ASB-loving eventer~
    www.gianthorse.photoreflect.com ~ http://photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/

4 members found this post helpful.

For what it's worth, by checking into the email address of the person who bumped this thread with a farm recommendation, we found it connected to someone who appears to be a legitimate boarder and not the owner of the farm.

That said, we don't mind folks recommending places where they board, or even ones they run, in response to an existing, ACTIVE thread. Bumping a bunch of old threads to promote a place isn't appropriate, however, so we removed all of the posts but this one to explain the policy.

Thanks!
    Mod 1

Yes I am a legitimate boarder and strongly reccomend Equidistance so I posted about it. Being a busy professional I did not have time to draft a number of uniquely tailored posts but want to let people know about this barn and the great opportunity it presents for AA riders in the DC area. I did not realize the policy against posting in old threads as I figured the topic is still very relevant for many DC area riders. I disagree with Alteration by Design as my horse is a little special needs and has always recieved top care at Equidistance. I used to groom for an olympic level show Jumper before college so I can differentiate between good care and bad care. I guess to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by hannoveriangirl View Post
    Yes I am a legitimate boarder and strongly reccomend Equidistance so I posted about it. Being a busy professional I did not have time to draft a number of uniquely tailored posts but want to let people know about this barn and the great opportunity it presents for AA riders in the DC area. I did not realize the policy against posting in old threads as I figured the topic is still very relevant for many DC area riders. I disagree with Alteration by Design as my horse is a little special needs and has always recieved top care at Equidistance. I used to groom for an olympic level show Jumper before college so I can differentiate between good care and bad care. I guess to each their own.
    You are fortunate that you are apparently one of the lucky ones. Just know that your experience at Equidistance is not the experience that most would enjoy. In other words, everyone is not treated equally there. If you are upper level dressage and allow the manager/owner to ride your horse, she will treat you very well. Same is true if you are lower level and become a student. Impression is unless you have something to offer the owner/manager you are not welcome. Sad, but unfortunately true.

4 members found this post helpful.

Not to sidetrack, but the newish "similar threads" feature at the bottom of each thread does seem to increase the necroposting lately. Several of the ones I'm seeing on this thread are 3 years old.

2 members found this post helpful.

Im probably guilty as I don't always check the date(s) of the post.. I'll check from now on..