The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New Barn Search Story...

That I had to share with fellow eventers, so I hope someone with a sense of humor appreciates this.

Just visited a h/j barn in my area, as I trying to look at all the options for a new barn in my region of the PacNW (i'm trying to keep an open mind in this strange land of trees and rain

Anyway, I am greeted with little more than a hello (no tour), am directed to watch a beginner adult lesson (which because I am an adult would be "my" lesson, despite my email explaining what I'd done, a video, etc), sit there wanting to poke my eyeballs out after the first 5 minutes, but politely do not check FB or COTH or text and watch the entire hour.

After the lesson, chat with trainer, say the group was a just a little to basic for me (trying to be polite and not say wth did i just waste an hour watching people learn to w/t/c?), thank her for letting me visit and just as an aside, ask what lesson "dress code" is....

she tells me "anything george morris would approve of."
    And the wise, Jack Daniels drinking, slow-truck-driving, veteran TB handler who took "no shit from no hoss Miss L, y'hear," said: "She aint wrapped too tight."

Ah, "hunterland"...(Not to be confused with "Hunterdon". )
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

2 members found this post helpful.

she tells me "anything george morris would approve of."

That certainly does eliminate the purple striped full seats with the hole in knee!!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

GM can kiss my purple breeched booty! If I'm taking serious lessons with professionals outside my normal trainer, then I dress "George Morris", but my personal trainer is the one who buys me rainbow polos LOL.

Good luck on your search!! Are there no eventing barns?

I completely understand!I am in Chicagoland! Home to hunterland! Were you at an A-circuit barn? I am guessing you were. Not all HJ barns are like that but the higher rated ones are mostly like that. They most likely don't have turnout either... Anyways, if I were you, I would only visit places accepting of eventers/dressage riders and maybe a B rated place.

Yes, it was a "nicer" barn who does some rated shows but still, not nice enough for the trainer to pull that card. Seriously. AND her students would have been ripped limb from limb by GM- half chaps (oh the horror!), untucked shirt hems (the shame!), bright colors (the failure of eventers everywhere), and wisps of hair escaping from helmets (the unkempt masses have a plot against him)
    They had miniature paddocks.

And btw- I totally do nice neat (aka GM neat) for clinics/outside trainers etc but this was a little much & then she commented that "I expect my students to be just as disciplined [as GM]." seriously!?
    And the wise, Jack Daniels drinking, slow-truck-driving, veteran TB handler who took "no shit from no hoss Miss L, y'hear," said: "She aint wrapped too tight."

If you need some recommendations, send me a PM with your location
    Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
    Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
    Take us to print!

Um, I guess I'll be the odd one out and say I don't see what the issue is. What's wrong with clean britches, a well fitting, tucked in shirt, a belt, a hair net, and boots for lessons?

Not that I do this! When I haul out to lessons, though, I do dress neatly. I WILL wear half chaps with the eventing BNT I will ride with, but I've known him for years and know he's ok with this (still dress neat with a belt, tucked in shirt, etc). When I ride with the dressage trainer, though, I go with my tall boots.

I honestly don't see what's wrong with putting on a little polish for a lesson.

2 members found this post helpful.

Well, I agree the whole wasting your time to make you watch a beginners lesson was rude.

But I DO agree with YellowBritches…. I suppose that is because I spent a few years as a working student for a H/J trainer that grew up riding with GM. Wasn’t an “A” barn, but you were expected (actually REQUIRED) to wear tall boots, breeches, and tucked in shirts for EVERY lesson (which is many times per week when in full training). If your horse came to the ring with shavings in its tail, or dust on their coat, you were sent back to the barn to do a better grooming job.

Reasoning on the apparel – that way you will be accustomed to riding in boots come show day. Breeches fit correctly and do not cause undue wear to the saddle, and a tucked in shirt allows the instructor to see your form better.

But, this was also in the “dark ages” when half chaps were ghastly things with Velcro tabs and full chaps were the rage (trainer didn’t want us riding in full chaps and getting used to the stick they provided).

I rode in tall boots every day for the first 15 years of my riding career.

i think what i was saying came across weirdly--sorry!-- i don't have any problem being neat and looking nice and which is what i do for the record since pony club beat it into me, but it was more than the trainer needed to invoke the name George Morris and what he would approve of vs just saying look nice and presentable

as the guru himself says, it was "the overall picture" including the other stuff that was rather bizzare. that's all. just wanted to share. hope i didn't offend anyone!

1 members found this post helpful.