The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CarrieK View Post

Wait here, I want to get my other torch (the big one!)
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

I think that if you have a trainer or friend who rides at the upper levels, you ought to make sure that they know of this potential rule, because even if it's stupid...etc.....someone is sure to rat on someone at a schooling show.

I still think you can get around the "competing" definition by riding hor concours -- then technically, you are not competing but participating in the competition without "honor" and are not included in the classification of the event. I also think that ULR's could get away with "exhibition" in schooling shows, etc. Either of those might provide an "out" for a pro.

But I think this will truly kill bareback puissance, indoor eventing, Derby Cross, et al.

On the other hand it could encourage unrecognized schooling venues to consider recognition and that's a good thing. And it might assist the USEA to develop a new recognition program for "educational" events while keeping the character and feel of our beloved unrecognized events, but bringing them in under the fold in some way so that we wouldn't jeopardize the small group of FEI event riders and judges we have in this country.

Shameless plug: please check the Envy and Empathy blog I recently posted on HJU -- it's one of my best, I think....and it's in keeping with this theme of upper level riders and their dilemmas....http://www.horsejunkiesunited.com/20...y-and-empathy/
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Hey guys, I'm going to look into this issue for the Chronicle.

I have a feeling it was spawned because the FEI was not pleased when top level European grand prix show jumping riders were turning down competing at Nations Cup competitions in favor of showing at the lucrative Global Champions Tour events. Similar issues arose with dressage and the World Dressage Masters competitions.

Molly

9 members found this post helpful.

It looks like the FEI wants a monopoly.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Super blog post, Retread. And thanks, Molly: I'm looking forward to your article. it's good to have the perspective of talented and intelligent writers like the two of you.

Kick on.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    I think that if you have a trainer or friend who rides at the upper levels, you ought to make sure that they know of this potential rule, because even if it's stupid...etc.....someone is sure to rat on someone at a schooling show.

I still think you can get around the "competing" definition by riding hor concours -- then technically, you are not competing but participating in the competition without "honor" and are not included in the classification of the event. I also think that ULR's could get away with "exhibition" in schooling shows, etc. Either of those might provide an "out" for a pro.
    But if my trainer has to ride my horse HC I won't get a pretty ribbon !!
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Molly Sorge View Post
    Hey guys, I'm going to look into this issue for the Chronicle.

I have a feeling it was spawned because the FEI was not pleased when top level European grand prix show jumping riders were turning down competing at Nations Cup competitions in favor of showing at the lucrative Global Champions Tour events. Similar issues arose with dressage and the World Dressage Masters competitions.

Molly
    Then the FEI needs to raise their game. Competition raises the game...they should not be able to change the rules like a spoiled child unhappy taking their ball and going home. They should be asking "how can we keep people and draw more in?" JMHO

4 members found this post helpful.

competition & 'HC' - eh, why don't we all just go to a show and get a ribbon, and leave with a smile, to appease the FEI people.

This is VERY interesting..since I am a Level 1 FEI Dressage Steward and compete @ BN on my horse and Intro on my Greenies...in April I was to take the test for eventing...Hmmmmm can't wait for more to come out on this...

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Honestly, they may have made this rule because of the Global Champions Show Jumping series which operates outside the FEI. Maybe they could see handwriting on walls if a non-FEI series could start up, offer more prize money than recognized FEI shows and suck all the top riders away from the lesser FEI competitions.

If that is what is intended, they certainly used an elephant gun to kill a gnat.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

3 members found this post helpful.

Hee Hee

Would love to see AQHA vs FEI in the court of law re the reiners
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by hoopoe View Post
    Hee Hee

Would love to see AQHA vs FEI in the court of law re the reiners
    Yep, Virginians and Westerners are not about to let a European - led sport Union dictate how their shows and their barns using show-based business models have to be run! In my part of Virginia, there are still an appreciable number of people still arguing over the fundamentals of the Civil War.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

Molly, if that is true, what about riders on teams that are not invited to the Nations Cup (like the US)? What about riders on teams that are invited to the Nations Cup but are not selected for the team? Why shouldn't they be allowed to compete at GCT, for example, if they wouldn't be allowed to compete at an FEI event on the same weekend?

This smacks of monopoly, and it will be interesting to see if a country with financial horse-power decides to file an anti-trust action on behalf of its competitors.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    On the other hand it could encourage unrecognized schooling venues to consider recognition and that's a good thing.
    Not entirely. Anytime you add more layers of governance, you increase costs to the competitors. I'm very lucky to have found several schooling events this year to attend that are run by extremely knowledgible folks, officiated by licensed officials, but are NOT USEA recognized. The cost difference was HALF in most cases from what a recognized event would be. These events are vitale to the future of the sport as those just starting out are able to get a taste of eventing without breaking their bank to do it. One event I went to this fall we took 5 horses and riders (was supposed to be 6 but one rider fell ill). 4 of the 5 riders had never ridden in an event, 2 of them were from the same family (who stretch their budget to maintain (BOARDING) a horse for each of their 3 kids). 2 of the kids did 2' starter and 2 of them did a ground poles division. There's no way you could have convinced the parents to spend sanctioned event $$ to attend this first event... but each of those kids has the bug now to continue (well, 3 of the 4 anyway). Were there FEI level riders at the event? I don't know. I doubt it. But I was riding a greenie at his first event and I USED to be an FEI rider... so it's not out of hte realm of possibilities.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Honestly, they may have made this rule because of the Global Champions Show Jumping series which operates outside the FEI. Maybe they could see handwriting on walls if a non-FEI series could start up, offer more prize money than recognized FEI shows and suck all the top riders away from the lesser FEI competitions.
    Ok, but if the FEI still holds the qualification rules for things like the WEG and Olympics, what difference does it really matter? Riders will still need their qualifications AT FEI events. So they don't do all the FEI events. So what? Other than their pride which I couldn't give a rat's butt about, what does it matter? They truly are getting their egos in a snit the same as the "take my ball and go home" whiner.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Quote Originally Posted by goodmorning View Post
    Oh boy...

Got to love government.
    I don't count ANYTHING run by a self-important princess as a government, ROFL.

Bye Bye, White Fences Dressage schooling shows. where 90% of the competitors are FEI. Bye Bye Aiken.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post

If that is what is intended, they certainly used an elephant gun to kill a gnat.
    I think this is the case. They're after elephants, not gnats. I expect the USEF to clarify the issue soon. Sheilagh Costello is pretty good at deciphering FEI code, at least she's always done a good job translating the qualification rules into something that I can understand.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

It also just occurred to me that we have no idea what the drug rules are for such things as the Global Champion Tour. The FEI has extended part of its drug rules to National level competitions, so all of the disciplines are now at least covered by similar drug rules worldwide. We all know how much tougher FEI drug rules are than USEF ones.

This really could be a good faith attempt to keep ULR riders from having lucrative options for showing outside the FEI drugging rules
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by IFG View Post
    Would that include the indoor eventing circuit as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    My GUESS is that is the INTENDED target.
    Elephant afraid of the mouse again?
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.