The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Default No unrecognized or schooling shows for ULR's ...

Ralph Connor (of DVCTA) posted to FB a new FEI rule coming out of the meeting at Istanbul, Turkey:

The gist of it is that no FEI rider will be allowed to compete in any unrecognized competition, if they do, they face a 6 month suspension. Unrecognized is listed as not being on the FEI calendar or not being nationally recognized.

No schooling shows. No unrecognized horse trials with greenies. No Derby Cross? No bareback puissance? No extra stadium rounds at VAHT? Those are a few of the things I can think of right off the bat....does that potentially put a big crimp on all the unrecognized schooling things that go on in Aiken?

A way around it is to "not compete", i.e., make a lot more use of the "hors concours" designation or redo some things as "demonstrations" rather than competitions. But that means no prize money and no placings as in the Bareback jumping stuff. And it doesn't say anything about coaching, just competing -- I think.

I wonder if the FEI was trying to do something here. My internet is not fast enough at night to be able to get FEI stuff very well off that website. Can anyone confirm this ruling proposal (if it is a proposal, or if it was passed?)?
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

2 members found this post helpful.

I did not find the FEI ruling but Ralph's post included OFFICIALS, and the language was "unsanctioned".
    This has HUGE implications for the winter communities that rely upon schooling show revenue.....as well as many other unrecognized things that now can count on a professional participation.
    Think of the ripples...officials, too...
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Surely there would be a revolt against such a stupid rule....

This would really put a crimp in bringing babies up the levels and getting them their first experience at more relaxed and less expensive shows.

4 members found this post helpful.

If this is true...it is completely STUPID.

I can't imagine this is true. I do not see it serving any purpose in promoting any sport.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Well, that's just stupid. What is the reason I wonder? More money for USEA and other national organizations?
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

That seems really dumb. And unenforceable. I don't see anything about it on their website. I wouldn't get too upset just yet.

ETA: Found it. http://www.fei.org/sites/default/fil...t-8Nov2012.pdf

The exact wording is: "Series and events not affiliated to the FEI
    The number of series per discipline and per category will be limited in order
    to have a well structured calendar, to avoid date clashes and to manage
    athlete horse power properly to protect the welfare of the horse. As a related
    point, the number of competitions that count for a series will be limited in
    order to guarantee an open market and to avoid closed shops. Athletes and
    officials will no longer be permitted to participate in both sanctioned and
    unsanctioned events. If an athlete, horse or an FEI official participates in a
    non-sanctioned event, such person or horse will be prohibited from
    participating in any sanctioned events, both international and national, for a
    period of six months thereafter. An unsanctioned event is an event that is not
    on the FEI calendar and is not authorised by a National Federation."

Also, despite the use of the word events, this is a general, not Eventing, rule.

Would that include the indoor eventing circuit as well?

Oh boy...

Got to love government.

Well, this should be interesting....(actually, the first thing that came to my mind was Bette Davis, as Margo Channing, in "All About Eve": Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night/ride....)
    “Always saddle your own horse. Always know what you’re doing. And go in the direction you are heading.” Connie Reeves
    Jump Start Solutions LLC

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by IFG View Post
    Would that include the indoor eventing circuit as well?
    My GUESS is that is the INTENDED target.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

How about the stress this puts on the pocket-books of the FEI competitor? Costs a lot to support FEI events. One would hope that USEF would step in here...a lot of conflict could be had -- and I don't think USEF can get away with passing along FEI costs to their all their members. How does this allow for an open market? Talk about restricting trade.

Is this going any further?

Was this voted on, or just purposed?

What a terrible idea.

Perhaps they're aiming at big competitions like that indoor eventing circuit... but they've also ruled out the local jumper schooling show down the street. And not just for the Olympic contenders, but also for people wanting to do a CIC*, if I read this correctly.

Of course, I'm the wacko who takes my horses to the $4/class gymkhana down the street so they get used to crazy warmup arenas.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    If this is true...it is completely STUPID.

I can't imagine this is true. I do not see it serving any purpose in promoting any sport.
    Totally agree, this would not serve any purpose in promoting any sport. One would hope this is not true, but then again stranger things have happened.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

1 members found this post helpful.

Assuming this is true. What can we, mere citizens, do?

Not an eventer but that rule seems absurd for any discipline. Terrible for trying to bring young horses up the levels or pros riding owner's green/young horses.

I could see not allowing an FEI *horse* to compete at unsanctioned shows, if their target is things like the indoor eventing circuit. But riders need to be able to show clients horses and bring babies up the levels. How are they supposed to (affordably) do that if they can't go to unrecognized/unsanctioned events?
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

Why should the horse have to stick with FEI if they don't need it? Extra $ in entry fees down the drain - and a 6mo penalty...? What if they want to enter the jumper-ring? FEI is silly for an event-horse to cross-enter. Same with D.

Quote Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
    " As a related point, the number of competitions that count for a series will be limited in order to guarantee an open market and to avoid closed shops."
    Isn't that exactly what they are doing by prohibiting participation in non FEI events? Creating a closed shop?

Maybe there can be action on some sort of anti-trust violations.

This rule won't just affect our upper level riders. It will affect a huge percentage of us that train with them. Now instead of 30 minutes across town, trainer has to travel 4 hours to the recognized show over the weekend. So guess where all his/her clients have to go if they want to show? And of course you don't only have to pay the extra show $, you have to get hotel, and everything else that comes along with being gone for the weekend. Gosh, if this rule was in effect when I was a kid I would have been lucky to make it to 1 show a year instead of the 10 or so (all unrecognized) I did attend. I was 14 before I got to compete in my first recognized event.

4 members found this post helpful.