The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I once tried a Siegfreid and despised it. It totally put me into a chair seat, but like others a few people I know have it and love it! I've used my trainers Stubben Parcival (?) and adored it. I have short legs but a long femure and the Parcival was great for my conformation and comfortable too (I found a lot of older Stubbens to be hard as rock!)
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

I have seen 40+ year old saddles and new Stubbens both are great saddles if they fit correctly. (as with any saddle)

Two of the older Stubbens sold for $450, the newer model, $600.

True they are not seen in many of the AA rated horse shows, but if you like it and your horse likes it, they are a well-made saddle to have for years.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post

BUT if you want to show Hunters or Eq or even Jumpers to a certain extent? Maybe not. They do put you in somewhat of a chair seat and a little behind the motion-that is a great spot to be in with any kind of unpredictable situation or if you are spending hours at a time in the saddle.

Not so good for showing off a good jump, sitting light or going forward to the timers. They also do put you where a shorter stirrup length is much more comportable and that's not what they want to see in the Eq, particularly on the flat.
    Do you think then that Nick Karazissis, Harley Brown etc are just doing the paid lip service & not actually showing in their Stubben saddles?

I know that Catharine Haddad is a pretty fervent Stubben fan

I agree that the trendy French saddles dominate H/J (they are gorgeous) but suspect there are more Counties & Stubbens showing than is apparant.

I absolutely adore my very old (think 40 years old!) Siegfried. It has fit most horses I've ridden except for my new guy! He needs a medium tree, whereas my Siegfried is a wide Also, it would be a good idea for me to get a seat size up. There are tons of these saddles on ebay, kijiji, craigslist, etc. Just make sure you know what model and size you're looking for.

The seat can be fairly hard, but oh so comfortable! I've taken my stubben on day trips, and have competed in it with no major issues, have even won a class or two in it, suede knee rolls and all
    All that is gold does not glitter;
    Not all those who wander are lost.
    ~J.R.R. Tolkien
    http://theimperfectperfecthorse.blogspot.com/

About 30 years ago I put my beloved Siegfried in the attic and got a flat saddle. Then several years later I got a Crosby and then borrowed a Pessoa which I had to return last Spring. While waiting for a custom saddle I ordered, I retrieved the old Siegfried (46 years old) from the attic and started to ride in it. I almost cancelled the order on the new saddle. It was great....comfortable and after a little attention, looked good too. I mentioned this to the rep who was selling me the new saddle and she said that it was a common scenario for people to "get out the old Stubben" while waiting for their new saddle. I do prefer the newer cushy seats but I bet nothing is going to last like those old Stubbens.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Do you think then that Nick Karazissis, Harley Brown etc are just doing the paid lip service & not actually showing in their Stubben saddles?

I know that Catharine Haddad is a pretty fervent Stubben fan

I agree that the trendy French saddles dominate H/J (they are gorgeous) but suspect there are more Counties & Stubbens showing than is apparant.
    This is what I mean. People have this idea that Stubbens aren't appropriate for the show ring when maybe they are just thinking of the old Siegfrieds. Catherine Haddad shows dressage, of course, but there are other pros showing in Stubbens in the jumper and H/J disciplines. Some of the newer models are in the show ring at the top levels, but many don't realize that and won't consider them. The old attitudes die hard as evidenced by the post you quoted.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

I was speaking of the Siegfried and Siegfried only as a saddle for an average rider in the H/J arena, which I though OP was asking for.

Bit of a difference in an experienced rider with a bazillion miles on hundreds of horses over fences and a novice with limited riding time that can end up fighting their saddle for position.

There is that endorsement thing too...
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Thanks for that clarification, findeight. The OP asked both about Siegfrieds in particular and Stubbens in general. I have no idea what she wants to do with her saddle. Most would probably agree with your comments about the Siegfried.

My point was that many looking for a saddle for the show ring reject the Stubben brand out of hand (I suspect because of the reputation of the Siegfried), which I think is shortsighted.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

got two saddles on trial:

a used stubben, which i like but i slide around in it.

a new toulous, which i love.

havent tried on my horse yet - just sat in them at the store.

any thoughts on the Toulous? it felt very comfy and made me feel secure since i wasnt sliding around.

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bastile View Post
    got two saddles on trial:

a used stubben, which i like but i slide around in it.

a new toulous, which i love.

havent tried on my horse yet - just sat in them at the store.

any thoughts on the Toulous? it felt very comfy and made me feel secure since i wasnt sliding around.

thanks!
    When I got my newer Siegfried, I felt like I was sliding around at first. The old one had a textured flap & suede knee roll. The new one has all smooth leather. It took about 2-3 rides to adjust and now I don't notice it.

A while ago, I rode in a Stubben Maestoso. It's a dressage model, but it was great. Comfortable and easy to keep a proper position in. Definitely not one that locked you in place. Fast forward 5 years and one child later and the exact same saddle was horrible for me. Something happened to my hips and pelvis that simply no longer agreed with Stubben.

As for the Toulouse, I tried the Premia on my current horse. It fit me pretty well, was super grippy - in fact, I had a hard time posting at first because it was so grippy. However, the fit on my horse was just awful. In the shop, the measurements of the saddle should have worked. But on my horse, the angles were just really wrong.

I had a 20 something Siegfried (calfskin = yum) that I loved...other than it put me in a chair seat. It was in beautiful shape and over the last month or so I was starting to wish that I had it sent out to get longer stirrup bars put in to see if that would have helped the chair seat.

Instead I sold it earlier this summer.

The more old school, typical Stubbens may not be popular, but their new models are gorgeous! My horse and I were both pretty in love with the Zaria I tried for a few weeks this fall. It fit him way better than me (I need a more forward flap than the one I had, and the rep and I both knew), but I loved it a lot until I did a preliminary level horse trial in it...not forward enough and true xc position is a BAD combo...my knees were goners for a few days afterwards!

But, anyway, people should look into the newer models like the Zaria and Portos if looking for a saddle. They also offer some pretty great sizing options for the horses. And the price, when compared to other high end custom saddles, is fabulous (I was quoted a smidge below 3k for a fully custom Zaria, I think. Just don't have the cash to do it right now). And they are nice. Softer leather than of old, and details that make them look much classier than of old.

When I get the money together for a saddle we BOTH like instead of tolerate, a Stubben is first on my list to look into a little more seriously.

The Toulouses are kind of hit and miss as far as quality goes from what I've seen. I've seen some that seem decently made and others have been really wonky. I personally don't like them. They've got too much 'stuff' going on. I feel completely disconnected from the horse. I like the super close contact feel of the minimalist Stubbens. That said, one of my best friends has a Toulouse she foxhunts in and loves the thing.

For years and years I thought I wanted a Stubben and when I was finally in the market for a new saddle and had the money I went and sat in one and instantly knew they were not for me. For whatever reason the twist felt all wrong. I couldn't tell if it was too narrow or too wide but it did not fit my anatomy...so I went another direction,,,I guess my point is they have to fit your horse and you!

I JUST drug out my ancient Stubben Parzival (it's such a weird color) after riding in my Barnsby forever, and actually had an AHHHHH moment when I sat in it. I love that old thing! And it makes me feel good on the young horses which is what I'm on right now.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

My very first saddle was a stubben wotan. It was comfortable and seemed to fit a wide variety of horses. Unfortunately, my femur got too long between age 13 and 30+ so I had to sell my saddle. I wish I could have kept it, it was a really nice saddle!