The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mare Suddenly Quiet

My mare is 6 going on 4, highly alert, dominant with some spark. However recently, she has gotten quite quiet. She is still alert, still plays, but has gone extremely quiet. I don't want to be looking a gift horse in the mouth, but do any of you have experience with this? My trainer's mare went through the same thing, but it seems so bizarre.

She is on raspberry leaves which has taken the edge off of her heats, but I'm wondering if she is just out of heat and the leaves are making her extremely quiet or she is just maturing. It has crossed over into riding and I thought it may be her hocks, but she's super quiet on the ground too. Still alert, still plays in pasture but isn't acting like everything is going to kill her.

Is this normal for a horse that is maturing late? Am I crazy to even question this?

My Arab used to be a lot more reactive and spooky than he is now. As a 3yo, he had some pretty explosive reactions to things and was constantly in fire breathing Arab mode. These days (he's 8 now) he'll spook, but its limited to a small side step instead of the spring, spin teleport thing he used to do. These days he's more concerned with being allowed to get that next bite of grass than anything else (we do endurance so he has cues for when he can and cannot eat under saddle and he knows that being calm usually means he's allowed to eat).

About 6yo is where the switch flipped and it was like I was suddenly riding a totally different horse. He was just...calmer and used his brain a lot more rather than being so reactive. It was a matter of days and suddenly I was no longer dealing with a baby brain. He just....grew up. Kinda overnight.

My Connemara/TB flipped on the quiet switch at age 12. Always late to the party!

Quote Originally Posted by Caps1 View Post
    My mare is 6 going on 4, highly alert, dominant with some spark. However recently, she has gotten quite quiet. She is still alert, still plays, but has gone extremely quiet. I don't want to be looking a gift horse in the mouth, but do any of you have experience with this? My trainer's mare went through the same thing, but it seems so bizarre.

She is on raspberry leaves which has taken the edge off of her heats, but I'm wondering if she is just out of heat and the leaves are making her extremely quiet or she is just maturing. It has crossed over into riding and I thought it may be her hocks, but she's super quiet on the ground too. Still alert, still plays in pasture but isn't acting like everything is going to kill her.

Is this normal for a horse that is maturing late? Am I crazy to even question this?
    I'm going to guess it is the raspberry leaf. I had my mare on it and I thought she got too quite so I took her off it. Try taking her off it.

My gelding was an absolute ass until he hit 6, then viola he was replaced with this amazing horse who at 9 can babysit poeple if required....never would have thunk it.
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

Yeah, I just took her off of it today. I was still fighting with it because when she goes back into heat (spooking, bolting and bucking for 20 out of 25 minutes) she will have to build everything up again.

I just feel crazy because if I'm not "ahh, when will she figure out the world isn't going to eat her" I'm "oh, is everything ok, she's so quiet", just *sigh*...

Then alter the dose, if she reverts.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

1 members found this post helpful.

My gelding just turned 5, and although he was never super bad before, I can tell he just matured A LOT! No more spooking at invisible monsters, or even visible stupid stuff (a car door opening 100+ feet from the arena, etc.) Though with him, its just growing up