The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dressage saddles with a hoop tree? Like the Lovatt and Ricketts Elipse?

My friend just bought a gorgeous mare...but she is wide with mutton withers. Saddles slide right around her! Our fitter doesn't have anything to fit her at the moment so she trialed a Lovatt and Rickets Elipse. Instant saddle love! However Trumbull only had it in an 18.5 so it was too big. This mare also has a short back! Her 17.5 won't be ready for a few weeks. It gives us time to see if there is anything else out with that hoop tree. It was SOOOO much more secure! She didn't want to spend $3500 but will if that's the only thing that fits them both. Amy suggestions would be lovely!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

Consider Albion, Duett, Frank Baines, Thornhill, Thorowgood/ Fairfax/Kent & Masters, Smith & Worthington ... all should be able to come up with a hoop tree

I'd check into this used saddle

You might talk with Cordia Pearson, (she has contacts with several of the listed brands).
    Hobson's Choice has lots of used dressage listed.

If this is the first saddle that has fit the horse well enough to really ride in, I'd encourage trying some alternate hoop-tree saddles before deciding ...

Neidersuss has done really well for both of my horses.

Talk to Lynda at Classic Saddlery, she nailed it for my extremely wide, hard to fit little mare. Best thing, she fit me too. I ended up with a M. Toulouse Mariann in an XW. I had a County Competitor WXW that didn't fit her at all, but fit my fjordX perfectly. He was more "A" through the shoulder though a much larger horse. I loved a Baines that I tried on her and I found it comfy, but the seat was too small. I have tried Albion, Duett, Wintec, but the Toulouse and Baines have been the best fit on my wide withered/shouldered mare.

The Arabian saddle company sells l&r saddles. My Black Country Dressage saddle has a hoop type tree. When I bought it they called it a freedom tree. I bought from a rep but I know Trumball carries that style. I do have an Arabian saddle company close contact and love it.

Point billets might help, along with an anatomical girth. My mutton withered wide horse has a very forward girth groove on top of being a beach ball. I have a Smith Worthington and like it quite a bit. Decently priced for a solid saddle.

Check out Duett... their saddles are specifically made for wide backs. A barnmate of mine just bought one a couple of weeks ago (a Fidelio, I think), and it is really lovely - much higher quality than you might expect for the price.
    "Winter's a good time to stay in and cuddle,
    but put me in summer and I'll be a... happy snowman!!!"

Trolls be trollin'! -DH

1 members found this post helpful.

Duett IS hoop trees. Black Country models can be made with a hoop tree. Prestige isn't a hoop tree, but it's a bit of a different shape that even though it's not one, it acts like one to some degree. By that same notion some of the County saddles behave like a hoop tree too.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post

I'd check into this used saddle
    That is the saddle I use on my mutton-withered mare who is built like a bus and could be a good choice for her. The photo they are showing on the ad is NOT a Luxus. The video is.

County does have some uber stupid wide hoop trees and I have seen some used for very reasonable prices.

I like my Frank Baines for wider/flat backs. Made to fit it was under $3000 cdn. Really happy with how it has lasted, and with the customer service while it was being made/fitted for my horse.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

My XW County Perfection (17.5) fits my short-backed, wide-body Clyde-X who's also a bit scoopy. Ain't cheap, but it was worth the investment for me.

However, if this horse is a true flat-back (table topped), then Duett is a great choice.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Take into account the front-back shape of the horse as well. A horse can be very wide/table-topped laterally but curvy longitudinally, and a Duett won't fit that at all. My WB isn't flat, but he's not super curvy either - County, Black Country, Prestige, all similar shapes, all fit him well. The Duett was much too flat in the front-back direction.

1 members found this post helpful.

I've seen Duetts that are definitely banana shaped -- not good for a flat back front to back. County, Albion, Neidersuss are hoops. Most British built saddles are hoops, according to my saddle fitter. Many German ones, too, but not all. Stay away from Bates and Wintec. Both are inverted V shapes.

Really, you have to try them on to know. Like shoes.

2 members found this post helpful.

My horse fits the OP's description. I tried at least 20 saddles, but they weren't even close, including Duetts, which were wide enough but not flat enough.

I bought a barnmate's Thornhill Germania dressage saddle that she'd used on her former horse (bull-dog quarterhorse). It's not perfect, but close (so said an independent saddle fitter, who pronounced my horse "a whisky barrel on legs" ). And the price was right. He recommended getting an anatomic girth and that helped keep it off my horse's shoulders.

They're not expensive saddles -- maybe $1500 new. You might check them out.

Ah, maybe the dressage models are curvier?

Anyway, just keep in mind that there are different dimension to the saddle fit. Pointier gusseted rear panels are not going to well on a broader, curvier back, for example.

At Trumbull, we do have more than the 18.5 but most likely they are out on trial. We can put people on a "next in line" list for saddles that are out on trial. There are many other hoop tree options available. Feel free to give us a call if there is something else you would like to try or be put on the list. 800-442-9672.

Thanks for all the suggestions! She is on the list but it will be a couple of weeks so we're looking for other ones to try in the meantime. Do you have anything else at present with a hoop tree, open seat, short panels and a twist similar to the Ellipse? The Ellipse was verrrrry secure on her and my friend loved the feel!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

If these saddles are as good as they sound, I'd absolutely talk to Kitt about them