The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

am going to have our pony's hocks injected tomorrow... a question though, she will not abide stall rest... is that a necessary? I will obviously ask vet tomorrow but curious if anyone else has just been able to turnout afterwards. she will pace in her stall and do more harm than good if she's in.

For infection reasons and to let the injections settle, I have always seen vets recommend at least a day or two of stall rest. The last thing you want to do is get infection in a joint!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

My vet never recommends stall rest. She always recommends the normal routine sans riding for a week or so, then start back with light riding and work up over a few days.

Infection should not be an issue post-injection simply from the environment. In fact, a stall is likely to be dirtier and riskier than being out, depending on each situation of course. It's just so much easier for the horse to lay down on a pile of poop on his stall than he's likely to do outside.

If the injection is going to set up an infection in the joint, it's going to do that regardless of the horse in or out.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    My vet never recommends stall rest. She always recommends the normal routine sans riding for a week or so, then start back with light riding and work up over a few days.

Infection should not be an issue post-injection simply from the environment. In fact, a stall is likely to be dirtier and riskier than being out, depending on each situation of course. It's just so much easier for the horse to lay down on a pile of poop on his stall than he's likely to do outside.

If the injection is going to set up an infection in the joint, it's going to do that regardless of the horse in or out.
    That's what I have always been told, from 4 or more different vets. Same reason they don't like you to use that sedation opportunity to clean the sheath-- the idea is to keep the injection site as clean as possible and expose it to as little bacteria as you can. I know things like staph etc. can live outside in the ground. Although there's poop in the stall, a cleanly beeded stall should have a more controlled enviornment than a turnout pasture.
    ~Veronica

I'm not sure why "they" don't want you to clean the sheath of a sedated horse, or what that has to do with hock injection cleanliness or infection

Cleaning a sheath and penis properly means things are dropped, just as if he was peeing. You clean, you remove the cleaner as appropriate, and you're done. You're not breaking any skin barriers and you certainly aren't injecting anything.

Stalls generally aren't cleaned overnight, so that's 10-12 hours of pooping and peeing and laying on it, unless you happen to have a horse who does all his business on one end and lays on the other

My horses live out. It's very, very rare for one of them to lay on a poop pile. But just one night inside, and it's on hocks, knees, sometimes even the face, often the hips.

Take the situation into account, that's really the message. I totally get "stall rest" for the horse whose turnout situation is a muddy 1/2 acre paddock. I don't get it for the horse whose turnout is 8 acres of grass.

thanks guys, I will speak to the vet tomorrow. She doesn't typically lay in poop outside for sure but trainer has meds on if we need to sedate her to keep her in.

They=my vets. Sorry, I thought that was clear from the context of the conversation/preceeding sentence.

They don't want any additional risk of smegma/dirt getting on/near the injection site.

Where I board, stall rest horses have their stalls cleaned more frequently.

I've never seen a vet say "turn a horse out" right after injections. Clearly YMMV.
    ~Veronica

Oh, they don't want to use the sedation for the joint injection as an opportunity to clean the sheath - yes, I get that now, sorry

and yes, the reason I first replied was that my vet doesn't recommend stall rest right after the injection, which is different from your "I've never seen recommended..." experience If the horse is already in and is supposed to be in for other reasons, then keep him in, then turn him out at the next scheduled time. But if he's on full time turnout, then keep him as normal to allow for sedation to wear off to the point of being safe to turn back out. It's what she's always done and rarely, rarely has any complications. But, she's also extremely fanatical about scrubbing the site beforehand too.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    They=my vets. Sorry, I thought that was clear from the context of the conversation/preceeding sentence.

They don't want any additional risk of smegma/dirt getting on/near the injection site.

Where I board, stall rest horses have their stalls cleaned more frequently.

I've never seen a vet say "turn a horse out" right after injections. Clearly YMMV.
    My vets have all said the same thing as yours over the years.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    For infection reasons and to let the injections settle, I have always seen vets recommend at least a day or two of stall rest. The last thing you want to do is get infection in a joint!
    My vet told me to keep my horse in until the sedation wore off then to let him out (he lived out 24/7).

It's been awhile now since I had injections done, but I think my horse got a day or two off, a couple of days of light riding and then back to work.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

1 members found this post helpful.