The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Whistling Ridge Barn Fire In Charlottesville

Love and thoughts go out to Lauren Seitz and her family - a barn fire consumed both her barn and indoor Sunday night. Her eventing and boarding facility is just outside of Charlottesville, Va, in Afton. Both the barn and indoor were destroyed in a very short time. Thankfully, due to the warm weather , the horses were all turned out, so NO horses were lost, but they lost everything else, from hoof picks to all tack, feed, medical supplies, blankets.
    We are hoping to set up a web site for donations - we will put more info here as we get it.
    Pete Landon
    Photographer/Brant Gamma Photography

1 members found this post helpful.

so SO glad no horses or humans were injured in the fire.

2 members found this post helpful.

Oh dear! terrible news! jingles that they can recover, and very glad horses ok.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

So very sorry, how horrible. My best thoughts to this team.
    When I pull on my boots, I know who I am

So sorry to hear the news. Do post a website or address that will accept donations. I'm sure I can find spare grooming supplies and etc to send over.

Their website is www.whistlingridge.com. Lauren updated it with a list of their needs, how to donate, etc.

We have a foster horse there so I went by on Monday. It is just amazing that a barn that size, with an attached indoor can be so completely destroyed so quickly fire is seriously scary.
    Last edited by HopeandJoy; Nov. 14, 2012 at 09:12 AM. Reason: problem I mentioned had been fixed so no need to mention anymore

I'm so sad to hear this. I went to college in Cville and remember Whistling Ridge from those days.

For those who prefer to cut right to the chase, a direct link to the barn's online funding campaign:
    https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/8O3J9

And their items needed list:
    http://www.whistlingridge.com/needs.pdf

And a cut-and-paste of the items needed list (they're giving anything "extra" they collect to a local 501c3 horse rescue):

Feed & Hay:
     Orchard Grass or Timothy Hay
     Triple Crown Senior Feed (Southern
    States)
     Legends Mare & Foal (Southern States)
     Reliance 11% Sweet Feed (Southern
    States)

Miscellaneous:
     Extra halters (pony to XL)
     Extra cotton lead ropes
     Brushing boots (turnout boots)
     Bell boots (M, L, XL)
     Bits
     Saddle pads
     Wheel barrow
     Shovels, rakes, broom
     Rubbermaid storage containers (trunks)
     Lunge whip, dressage whip
     Grazing muzzle for a pony
     Grazing muzzle for a draft

 Electrolytes
    Vet Supplies:
     Vetrap
     Sheet cotton
     Disinfectant (Betadine or Novalsan)
     Elasticon
     Duct tape
     4x4 gauze
     Wound dressing
     Gauze rolls
     Liniment**
     Wraps or Polos
     Pillow bandages
     Easy boots (misc. sizes)
     Poultice mud and/or pads
     Hoof soaking boot (L or XL)
     Tail wrap
     Ace bandage(s)
     Ice boot(s)

I am so sorry to hear of this fire. Barn fires are my biggest fear. I am thankful to hear that no people or horses were lost in the fire.

Divasgroom,
    Thanks for posting.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

...I was sort of surprised that this thread didn't keep going. Bumpity bump for the evening crowd.

I hope that the local community will rally around these folks. I sent her a few dollars today to cover some expenses.

A barn fire is devatasting so pleas keep these eventers in your thoughts and help if you can!
    When I pull on my boots, I know who I am

Bump
    Pete Landon

High in the mountains of Southwest Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by HopeandJoy View Post
    We have a foster horse there so I went by on Monday. It is just amazing that a barn that size, with an attached indoor can be so completely destroyed so quickly fire is seriously scary.
    When we had our fire, we lost our house, two barns, and indoor arena all within 40 minutes. It was not a small complex and it truly was flabbergasting how quickly everything was destroyed.

It really highlighted the importance of having an emergency plan in place well before any disaster happens. Anyone who owns a barn should have one and make sure everyone knows what it is.

It is also helpful to touch base with your local fire and rescue squads for input when creating your plan. Better yet is to have a few members come to your place and scope things out. After we rebuilt, we had an "EMS Training Day". We had several members of our fire, rescue, and police departments meet at the farm and go through our disaster plan. They suggested several improvements and also inspected the facility noting things like access to the buildings and water supply. In turn, we introduced them to the horses and had a good discussion about how they might react in a disaster. We showed them how to lead a horse using either a halter or a rope looped around its neck, where that equipment would be located, and which paddocks we would use as evacuation locations. Not only did we all learn a lot, but we also had fun doing it. We had a cook-out at the end of the day and it was great getting to know everyone on both a professional and personal level.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If the Number 2 pencil is so popular, why is it still number 2?

2 members found this post helpful.

So sorry to hear about your loss But what an excellent idea about the training day!

Quote Originally Posted by canterlope View Post
    When we had our fire, we lost our house, two barns, and indoor arena all within 40 minutes. It was not a small complex and it truly was flabbergasting how quickly everything was destroyed.

It really highlighted the importance of having an emergency plan in place well before any disaster happens. Anyone who owns a barn should have one and make sure everyone knows what it is.

It is also helpful to touch base with your local fire and rescue squads for input when creating your plan. Better yet is to have a few members come to your place and scope things out. After we rebuilt, we had an "EMS Training Day". We had several members of our fire, rescue, and police departments meet at the farm and go through our disaster plan. They suggested several improvements and also inspected the facility noting things like access to the buildings and water supply. In turn, we introduced them to the horses and had a good discussion about how they might react in a disaster. We showed them how to lead a horse using either a halter or a rope looped around its neck, where that equipment would be located, and which paddocks we would use as evacuation locations. Not only did we all learn a lot, but we also had fun doing it. We had a cook-out at the end of the day and it was great getting to know everyone on both a professional and personal level.

How is this group holding up?

I am kind of surprised by the lack of interest on this board, pages and pages on the True Prospect Farm fire, and this was eclipsed.

Happy Thanksgiving and be thankful for what you have!!

They are holding their own, but needs are still great. Unfortunately, the insurance company is dragging its feet. The farm is hoping to have a shelter raising party before the weather turns in the mountains.
    Their website is www.whistlingridge.com.
    Pete Landon

Quote Originally Posted by halter broke View Post
    How is this group holding up?

I am kind of surprised by the lack of interest on this board, pages and pages on the True Prospect Farm fire, and this was eclipsed.

Happy Thanksgiving and be thankful for what you have!!
    I think they are holding their own. And the True Prospect Farm was much bigger with the loss of horses and many peoples' belongings. I don't want to discount Lauren's loss because it is horrific. But it wasn't of the magnitude of True Prospect.

Divasgroom, if there is a shelter raising get together, I want to be there. I also have some stuff for Lauren that I need to get to her asap.

Ann

If there is the shelter raising party, definitely post the details. I'd love to help. They emailed out a "flyer" as well, so I'm sure a bunch of people are receiving that and donating!

They're in my thoughts this thanksgiving day.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

We are going out to Whistling Ridge with donated items today. Thank you to everyone!
    Pete Landon