The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Musical horses as we leave the old season into the new

So having less horses doesn't seem to ever happen, but there has been a reasonable amount of recent reconfiguration and I know I've been hearing from others who have recently acquired new horses, have found new jobs for old campaigners and thought it might be fun.

I started writing a post, but it got too long, so I turned it into a blog entry http://seema-thefloridachronicles.bl...ld-season.html.

The upshot, in January 2011, I had 5 horses
    1) Finn
    2) Gizmo
    3) Tag
    4) Keebler
    5) Tobe

I now have
    1) Finn (please someone buy him!)
    2) Gizmo (starting a new adventure with old friends)
    3) Keebler (needs a job)
    4) Keegan (my rock star OTTB)
    5) Solo (ridden by my trainer's barn manager)
    6) Tucker (with Dom Schramm, looking for a new job or a new owner)
    7) Remi (well, he's not mine but I count him anyway)

As well as having bought and sold Cole and Eli during that period.

How is your horse shopping and swapping?
    Last edited by scubed; Nov. 14, 2012 at 04:01 PM. Reason: changes in horse situation
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I STILL have my two sale horses with nary a nibble on either. What am I doing wrong?!

ETA: I'm working on one of Amy's students for your spotted boy.

If anyone needs a letter of recommendation for Keebler, contact me.

I own three, still riding one (the aforementioned Keebler) a couple times a week, and am boarding one for a friend at the DW Busted Horse Rehab and Foaling annex (AKA, my house) for the winter.

This is approximately three too many, but the pony and the gimpy one require minimal time commitment, Bonnie is partially earning her keep as a part time fancy-pants school horse, and Boscoe is laid up for another month, so it's not intolerable at the moment.

AND Bonnie's status in the gene pool is up for review given her stellar show season. Oy vey! I'm as bad as scubed . . .
    Click here before you buy.

Current count and amount is seven here at the farm or in the vicinity.

One lovely pasture ornament Argie mare who is a great ride if you can sit/survive the first 8 seconds, son's Aussie stockhorse polocrosse mare that is currently in the "off season" but he thinks he might like to event, maybe, husband's Argie polocrosse mare, also in the offseason getting fat, husband's eventer that son and husband are squabbling over, the big horse, going round in twenty meter circles with the Queen of Darkness, and the two driving ponies.

The ponies are the only ones who currently seem to be gainfully employed. . .

There is some hope that at least one of above will be headed to Aiken with the son as he assumes working student status for the winter with one of those crazed Aussie types.

TWO. I only have TWO. Despite my best efforts to sabotage myself into buying (or taking) others, I still only have two. I traded the WB mare for Mr. Heinz' stubby little QH, who is indeed fun but does not require me to do more than get on bareback and jog-shuffle around, which I don't even need to do in the winter because Mr. Heinz can't ride her in the mud wallow that is our pasture.

Which means that ALL I have to do is ride the big guy. And he is STILL battling that darn abscess that we discovered and thought we had popped on the 19th of October (4 weeks ago this Friday). All I want to do is ride, darn it! I swear, every time I get down to just one horse of my own, I have to deal with some sort of lameness.

I was eyeballing a cute little 5yo OTTB mare (pedigree) that is in the "kill pen" at an auction near me, but the lack of history Re: soundness makes me leery anyway. She's cute though.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Hmmm. Started the season with 4 yearlings, 2 2 yr olds, a 3 yr old, a 5 yr old ready to go novice, my mare coming back from a 2 yr layoff and a pregnant broodmare, and a retired mare who belonged to a friend.
    Ended with a new OTTB( how did THAT happen?), gave the retired mare back, but sold all 4 yearlings, so net loss of 3!
    Of course, spent all sales money on getting the 2 and 3 yr olds broken, so no profit there.
    My surgery put a dent in riding plans, so to breed 2 next year and ride 2.
    Oh, and I did offer to take another OTTB mare, but hoping they sell her before then....

I too have had the door going around. Currently four!
    Older mare tried for two months, did not work out, sent back to broodmare hood. Have a nice Tully Cross bred young horse currently, who is the best I've sat on in a long time. The 5yo 16.3+ OTTB has issues but I am hoping for the best. He's the nicest young horse I have owned in years. Just not sound yet but young and I think I can fix. Add the white horse (first hack back at soundness today) and the black horse -- hunting regularly now -- and I really like my string at the moment, but the hay budget simply won't allow any more for the winter!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

I'm at my lowest no. in 17yrs. I have 3 (plus mini-donk). Sold a 4yr. old last June and wish I had her back
    the 3:
    retired broodmare (never leaving)

my wonderful Petey, who has an eye infection and along with a big vet bill, has cost me 300 for the Clark Montgomery clinic we won't get to go to this weekend.

beautiful, sweet Bella, who I don't enjoy riding and needs to go be somebody's hunter
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

A year ago, I had ONE - my saintly BWP mare. Mystery lameness started about this time last year.

12 months later....
    I still have that mare, still lame, but now pregnant too.
    I leased one TB gelding and returned him when I realized he wouldn't work out for me.
    I now have use of my coach's old pro.
    I just brought home an OTTB at the beginning of the month.

I'm sure this is how the crazy cat lady started too.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

1 members found this post helpful.

I sold one a couple months ago, was hoping to be good and not replace until spring, but I'm going shopping this weekend . . .

five or six, I think

1) TinyPo - goes nowhere, ever. She's my girl
    2) joePony - coming home from 1 year lease to little 8 year old girl. He's going to stay home a few weeks and then go to either of two super-nice families either right by me, or with eponacowgirl
    3) Butterkinz Mckinley - goes from strength to strength, still not found her perfect kid, but then she is only 6yo. Hoping to go on trial after RG, with eponacowgirl's student. (see how this symbiosis thing is working out ... )
    4) Big Brown Horse - is staying for a while. He has thin TB feet and I'm being stubborn about not putting front shoes on. But he is the world's best easy-going husband*-safe horse for walking around. Yes, For Real. The husband is Riding The Horse.
    5) Little Coco-Puff - is finally making progress. She's turned into the world's most perfect foxhunter, and is Finally, Finally, finding her balance at the trotting in circles thing. She won't go anywhere until she's 7 at least, so 2.5 more years with her.
    6) Half-Pint - finished 2nd is his first CT, but is staying another 3 months or so until our local hunter circuit starts up again, unless he finds his ideal child over the winter. He's a perfect little kid's hunter pony, but only local circuits because he's 12.3

And in case that sounds like we didn't really move any on .. we did !
    7) SummerPony went to GA to do 2ft-2ft 6 with her ideal rider
    8) mySillySaddlebred also to GA and is finishing in the ribbons in 30 mile endurance races
    9) HunnyBunches went to the same family as mySillySaddlebred for their little 8 year old daughter so she can keep up with dad on long, fast trail rides. Which, I think ecg would agree, couldn't have been a better match !

1 members found this post helpful.

Had 9 as of September , sold 3 of my own and 2 on consigment, now down to 5 that I own but one is leased.
    Good lord.
    The trip to Aiken should yield more "rotating"

We are down to ONE! Well, ok, two...

1. Grey Beastie (Loki)- he's not going anywhere, ever. The only one for which we're financially responsible at present.
    2. Painted Pony (Leggs)- still owned by us, but finished her eventing career last season and started on free lease to good friends as a family horse and loving it.
    ---
    3. Fat Momma (Epona)- adopted by a lady in VA who is in the process of moving to TX. Loves her LL dressage/trail life.
    4. The Master (Perch)- adopted by a lady in VA for trails, a superstar babysitter and pasture puff.
    5. The Dweeb (Kip)- Being goofy as ever in his new home as AA hunter-extraordinaire.
    6. The Firebreather (Dragon)- Sassy to the extreme and ready to make his Prelim debut with his YR owner in VA.
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

Spy (30), Music (26) and Belle (16) have homes with me for life.

But Chief (7) is still looking for a new chair/owner. There have been several serious nibbles, but people find the strangest reasons for turning down a horse. Their choice, but it still is frustrating.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).