The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Clinton, Bruno and Sam's Excellent Adventure

Clinton, Bruno and Sam are my 3 4yo geldings who are pastured behind my house. Friday morning around 1:30 am, the outside dogs start barking. I started to get up to tell them to shut up but didn't. I didn't think a lot about them barking because everytime the boys come up to the water trough the dogs bark at them.

So I get up around 6:00, I go out to feed the outside dogs and find the gate wide open and the boys no where to be seen. I jump in the truck and set out to find them. I was hoping they'd just gone down the road to visit the other horses but no they went in the opposite direction and were about 2 miles up the road standing along side the highway in a neighbor's hay meadow, grazing. I went back to the house, woke my dad up to take my kid to school, grabbed halters and feed and tried to hook up the trailer. Dad had changed the ball on the truck so no good on the trailer. I got back to the boys and caught Clinton and Bruno but Sam wasn't cooperating. So I tie C & B to the back of the truck and take off slowly toward the house with Sam following. This doesn't work too well. Meanwhile Dad gets the kid to school and comes back with the trailer on his car. Bruno hops right in, Clinton will. not. load. Sam spooks and takes off, fortunately he goes into the woods in the general direction of our house. I wind up sitting on the back of the truck leading Clinton home while my dad's yard man drove. Get C & B home and go back to look for Sam. He is nowhere to be found but I have an idea where he is. So I take the converted golf cart in the back way to look for him. Dumb me, forgot to take feed. I find Sam but he won't follow me so I can get him through the back fence so he can get home. By that time, I'm beat, I know Sam can't get back to the highway and will be ok until Saturday. It storms all day Saturday so I can't get back to him. Sunday I have feed, I whistle and rattle the feed bucket so Sam comes and I get him where he needs to be to get home. I still can't catch him. But he can get through to come home and I figure he will come to the other horses. If not, I'll go back on horseback and see if he will follow me home. There is all kinds of grass and water so he's not hurting.

There is now a snap on the gate so Bruno can't open it.

Um. If Sam got from the hwy to the woods, why couldn't he get back from the woods to the hwy? I would not be ok leaving my horse loose for 5 days just because I couldn't catch him, in the hopes he'll come back eventually......today's TUESDAY.

Is this not odd or concerning to anyone else?

TOTT, not to start anything but this is Texarkana, horses don't get lost here, they just meander.
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Because I went to where he was and opened the gate and let him in another section and shut the gate. So now he can't get back to the highway. We used to own this property so he's familiar with the territory. He's by himself and as the horse travels, not too far from the rest of the horses. He knows how to get back. If not, I'll go back over there with another horse and get him. He's pretty spooky and while he'll come when I whistle and eat out of the bucket, he won't let me halter him. Not to mention he's bad about jerking away and I'd rather him not have a halter and lead rope dangling.

Ohhhh ok. I was picturing him wandering around in an unfenced, next to the highway sort of area. My bad!