The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help a Neurotic Owner Return to Rationality

Posting under an alter because, well, I'm neurotic.

Two days ago, I came out to ride my horse. She hadn't gone outside because it had been very cold and wet that day. She was a bit stiff when I started...not dead lame, but a bit stabby and short behind around the turn. I let her stretch out a bit and she seemed to work out of it and finished quite normal. I felt her legs for heat or swelling, and found neither. The only thing was a bit of a crack in her RH hoof - she had recently had her back shoes pulled for the winter. I wrapped her behind just as a precaution and decided to re-evaluate the next day.

Yesterday, I pulled her out of her stall and she seemed okay. Legs still not fat, still not hot, but the crack in her hoof was worse and a chunk had come out. I tested it a bit and it wasn't sensitive, so I got on. Nope...something definitely not right. I got off, called the farrier (who was out the next day anyway) and made an appt with the vet.

Farrier evaluated today and said definitely not an abscess, but there was inflamation at the white band on her hoof. He recommended bute and to have back shoes put back on. I left the shoes off for now, as I'd like the vet to have a decent look at her foot tomorrow, but I'm freaking out a bit after reading about and seeing pictures of white line disease. The inflammation combined with the compromised nature of her foot seem like classic signs of white line disease...anyone have any experience with this?

I know the vet will have the best diagnosis for me tomorrow, but I just want to be prepared.

Sorry I have no wisdom for you but I hope she is okay.

Quote Originally Posted by alternativename View Post
    Posting under an alter because, well, I'm neurotic.

Two days ago, I came out to ride my horse. She hadn't gone outside because it had been very cold and wet that day. She was a bit stiff when I started...not dead lame, but a bit stabby and short behind around the turn. I let her stretch out a bit and she seemed to work out of it and finished quite normal. I felt her legs for heat or swelling, and found neither. The only thing was a bit of a crack in her RH hoof - she had recently had her back shoes pulled for the winter. I wrapped her behind just as a precaution and decided to re-evaluate the next day.

Yesterday, I pulled her out of her stall and she seemed okay. Legs still not fat, still not hot, but the crack in her hoof was worse and a chunk had come out. I tested it a bit and it wasn't sensitive, so I got on. Nope...something definitely not right. I got off, called the farrier (who was out the next day anyway) and made an appt with the vet.

Farrier evaluated today and said definitely not an abscess, but there was inflamation at the white band on her hoof. He recommended bute and to have back shoes put back on. I left the shoes off for now, as I'd like the vet to have a decent look at her foot tomorrow, but I'm freaking out a bit after reading about and seeing pictures of white line disease. The inflammation combined with the compromised nature of her foot seem like classic signs of white line disease...anyone have any experience with this?

I know the vet will have the best diagnosis for me tomorrow, but I just want to be prepared.
    Well you sound like a very rational horse owner, and an attentive one! Im sure the vet will want to take pics to get a clearer idea of what is doing on, so I would have done the same thing and left the shoes off, and with luck it will be something easy (and cheap!!) to clear up. Probably not relevant but my paint has lost chunks of his hoof from time to time and has never been lame. I would really try to wait for the vet and not run every catastrophic possibililty (which I would be inclined to to do!!! . It really is so hard when we DONT have quite all the info yet, but enough to worry! Your mare sounds so lucky to have an owner on top of things and able to get her appropriate help!! Hope things go well and that you get some answers tomorrow!

What did the vet say?
    The rebel in the grey shirt