The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Emergency number postings?

I just brought the horses home for the first time.

They spend their time when I'm not home in stalls, but as the fencing is finished in the next couple weeks they'll be turned out when I'm home (or out running quick errands).

All my neighbors have my number in case of emergency (and I have found have absolutely no problem using it since they routinely call me when the UPS guy drops off a package at my front door, just to let me know that it's there), but where do you post emergency info/numbers on your property? What information do you include?

It will be OK. They will not self destruct when you're not looking.

Well, they might, but you'll get used to the idea. Welcome to OMGmyhorsesaremysoleresponsibilityitis.

And to aswer your question.... a white board in the barn ought to suffice.

ETA: Billboards are probably cost prohibitive and spray painting it on their sides will only increase your anxiety.

And BTW, I know EXACTLY how you feel

1 members found this post helpful.

I would think having all of your contact info inside the barn but not behind any doors would be ideal for the "what if" scenarios...

As a boarder, I find it very useful when the barn owners put their phone numbers and the barn address on the white board that always seems to be in the aisle near the tack room. I can't tell you how many times *I* have used that information when I need to get a vet out or whatever, and how much I miss it if the barn doesn't have it posted somewhere.

Oh, and preprogram your own phone with the numbers of your vet and a backup vet.

I've got a whiteboard in the barn on the tack room door. You can see it the minute you walk inside. On there are emergency numbers for me, my husband, the horse vet, and the small animal vet. I also use it to post the number of my farrier and farm sitter when we're out of town.

It's big enough that 1/4 goes to numbers and the rest I use to post current feed instructions for both equines. I do all the horse care at our place so feed info is so that if I get hit by a bus at least someone will know what they eat and when and what their turn-out schedule is.

Quote Originally Posted by morganpony86 View Post
    They spend their time when I'm not home in stalls, but as the fencing is finished in the next couple weeks they'll be turned out when I'm home (or out running quick errands)?
    So, they are put into stalls every time you leave the house?

And when you're home? (since you said in a couple weeks they will be turned out when you're home, this implies that they are not turned out when you are home now...)

Calm. Take a breath. They will be fine, you can't keep them cooped up in stalls to keep them "safe" - even in stalls, they CAN find something to get injured by!

Hang up a white board with numbers, or a cork board with a paper list of number tacked to it.

That will work fine!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

People who live in horsey areas know what to do. It's fairly intuitive. You find a horse loose? You secure the horse, you go around and figure out whose it is. You see a horse down? You go see if someone is home/check for contact info.

Your horses will be fine turned out whether you're home or not. In fact, better for them to be out than in IMHO. YOU on the other hand, may need a Xanax or a good glass of wine.

I suppose this is a bit like leaving your newborn for the first time.

But they really will be fine. Put the numbers on a white board and call it good.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    So, they are put into stalls every time you leave the house?

And when you're home? (since you said in a couple weeks they will be turned out when you're home, this implies that they are not turned out when you are home now...)

Calm. Take a breath. They will be fine, you can't keep them cooped up in stalls to keep them "safe" - even in stalls, they CAN find something to get injured by!

Hang up a white board with numbers, or a cork board with a paper list of number tacked to it.
    It's actually because one of my horses suffered a significant injury to a hindlimb and I don't feel comfortable (and neither does my vet) leaving him turned out unattended with another horse. He can really only walk and get up/down, so he's significantly "disabled". If I leave one in, there's really no point in turning the others out. Plus I only have 3-4 acres for three horses; I definitely don't want my pastures to turn into dirt lots! I swear, it's not a crazy mom thing... entirely.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I keep a list in my barn for farmsitters and anyone else who might need it.
    Posted right above the feed bins.
    It has:

*Vet's # (I always call vet's office before going on vacation to let them know who is authorized to ask for a farm call)
    *Hayguy's number
    *Shoer's # - probably overkill, since both mine are barefoot
    *My cell number - since that's what goes with me
    *Farmsitter's number - just in case
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I am not going to lie, I actually had a flow chart diagram posted in my barn when I had people half leasing. It basically started out with "human hurt or horse hurt?" The human side of the chart was quite short. The horse side was a bit more in depth. LOL I wish I could find that and post it. Hilarious. But for kids/non horsey parents with little horse logic, it seemed appropriate.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by morganpony86 View Post
    It's actually because one of my horses suffered a significant injury to a hindlimb and I don't feel comfortable (and neither does my vet) leaving him turned out unattended with another horse. He can really only walk and get up/down, so he's significantly "disabled". If I leave one in, there's really no point in turning the others out.
    I totally disagree with this statement. If one is on stall rest or cannot be turned out with another horse, I would stall the injured one and turn the rest out and then rotate those horses in, and the injured one out.

Why should all the horses remain on lockdown because of an injury to one horse?

I think you're using this as an "excuse" to keep all of them on lockdown because you're too paranoid about putting them out while you're gone
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    Why should all the horses remain on lockdown because of an injury to one horse?

I think you're using this as an "excuse" to keep all of them on lockdown because you're too paranoid about putting them out while you're gone
    If you read my entire post, you would see that I'm also leaving them in because I don't have enough pasture to support 3 horses out 24 hours a day. I don't want my fields to turn into dirt lots.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    I keep a list in my barn for farmsitters and anyone else who might need it.
    Posted right above the feed bins.
    It has:

*Vet's # (I always call vet's office before going on vacation to let them know who is authorized to ask for a farm call)
    *Hayguy's number
    *Shoer's # - probably overkill, since both mine are barefoot
    *My cell number - since that's what goes with me
    *Farmsitter's number - just in case
    We have this along with the number for the feed store, also posted next to the grain barrels. But in addition, each stall has a stall card (something we picked up from Pony Club!) The stall card has a picture of the horse, age, height, vices, and our home and cell phone numbers, along with the number for the vet and the farrier. Our neighbors' horses get loose all the time, and we never know which stall to put them in (and he sets up the feed in the morning, so knowing where to put them would be helpful.) I suggested he might want to label the stalls and the horse's halters at the very least, but his response was a nasty "no thanks." Our horses have never gotten loose (knock on wood) but if something were to happen, hopefully people would be able to tell from the picture where each horse belongs. And they could call us. My neighbor won't even give us a cell phone number.

A helpful thought for the turnout conundrum (not enough acres for constant turnout, but significant health benefits for horses with generous turnout)

Use a grazing muzzle on the horse(s) to reduce the impact on the grass. It really works. I have a one acre pasture on our property which is shared by two horses. Since I am a big believer in as much turnout as possible, one goes out with the grazing muzzle on every day. Problem solved.