The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

The house looks beautiful now! I can almost imagine it singing. And even better is the lovely e-mail from the home-owner's granddaughter. I got choked up reading it. I love to see an old house saved and brought back to life.
    Good karma all the way around.

1 members found this post helpful.

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing the before and after pictures.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

My cousin suggested a raisin-y color for the door.

I'm very glad I kept in touch with the granddaughter, too. She's told me some great stories - her grandfather making moonshine in the woods up the hill. Apparently she stumbled on his operation and her scared her so badly she never told anyone until his funeral. Or when the granddaughter was in college, back in the '60's. The house is about 15 miles away from the college, but the granddaughter was much too cute a young thing to visit her hick grandparents in the country. After not coming to see them for several weekends, she got a phone call from her granddad asking if she wanted to go to lunch. When she sid sure, when would he like to meet her, he said he was in the lobby of the dorm. She hurried down, wanting to get her toothless, overall-clad granpda out of public view. She got down to the lobby to see him sitting there on the bare back of his mule, who'd let a big steaming pile go on the carpet. She called her grandma and asked if she knew where her husband was. The grandma got on the phone with the grandpa and told him to ride that mule back RIGHT NOW. The granddaughter never missed a weekend visit again. A 30 mile mule-ride to make a point.

StG

8 members found this post helpful.

very inspirational. thank you!
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

What an absolutely gorgeous house! I LOVE it! I liked the white, and I really like the red. It has such character. Thank you so much for sharing this!

Quote Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
    My cousin suggested a raisin-y color for the door.

I'm very glad I kept in touch with the granddaughter, too. She's told me some great stories - her grandfather making moonshine in the woods up the hill. Apparently she stumbled on his operation and her scared her so badly she never told anyone until his funeral. Or when the granddaughter was in college, back in the '60's. The house is about 15 miles away from the college, but the granddaughter was much too cute a young thing to visit her hick grandparents in the country. After not coming to see them for several weekends, she got a phone call from her granddad asking if she wanted to go to lunch. When she sid sure, when would he like to meet her, he said he was in the lobby of the dorm. She hurried down, wanting to get her toothless, overall-clad granpda out of public view. She got down to the lobby to see him sitting there on the bare back of his mule, who'd let a big steaming pile go on the carpet. She called her grandma and asked if she knew where her husband was. The grandma got on the phone with the grandpa and told him to ride that mule back RIGHT NOW. The granddaughter never missed a weekend visit again. A 30 mile mule-ride to make a point.

StG
    That is a great story. I can imagine her horror.

Your house is adorable. I am jealous about the ceiling heights (and then there is the fact that my house has no character to speak of either). I love the color you chose. I vote for a dark grey roof.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

2 members found this post helpful.

You don't want a dark color for the roof if it gets hot where you live. White or just a brushed-aluminum surface is what you need to reflect the heat away.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Brushed aluminum would be a beautiful crisp look with that red color and the roof line!

Wow! Love it!

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

On your Pc, make a copy of your pictures, leave the originals in a safe directory.
    Go into accessories and look for Microsoft paint, or Microsoft draw, open it, and once in it open the copy of your picture. Then using the tools there, the brush or the bucket and color in the roof. Draw shutters in with the pencil tool and color those.
    You can then see what you like. Save the different versions as different files to compare them.

Default re: roof colors--- not necessarily....

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    You don't want a dark color for the roof if it gets hot where you live. White or just a brushed-aluminum surface is what you need to reflect the heat away.
    A new, good-quality metal roof will be coated with pigments that reflect the sun /keeps cooler. We installed a black metal roof a cpl years ago that had almost the same "SRI" (solar reflectance index, or something like that) as the lighter colored ones. We also have a really steep roof and our roofer said they are more forgiving than a flatter one, when it comes to retaining solar heat. We do have very hot summers here, but certainly you are further south so YMMV.
    Anyway, just saying that you don't need to *automatically* rule out a dark roof. When shopping, ask what is the "SRI" index-- the higher the better.

It's beautiful! What a nice thing to get such a complimentary letter from the family. That weathervane is going to be a really nice touch on there! And the bright contrast really help to show off those adorable arched windows.

I recently did a little house portrait for a plein air painting event and I chose a little red cottage with a weathervane- because of that sweet detail.
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...type=3&theater

We just built a new house on our old farm and I wanted it to *feel* like an old farmhouse (minus the drafts, mice and freezing pipes) and I chose red too... I had a heck of a time picking the exact red and drove around the countryside with a pocketfull of paint chips to match to buildings in the real landscape. I think you picked a beautiful red!

My house: http://pinterest.com/pin/266416134178142530/

Beautiful house & great story. Keep us updated when you get the roof done too.

What a beautiful house! I love the red and white...so classic and clean!

So cozy and welcoming. I live in a 1890's farmhouse myself so I am smitten. Enjoy your time there.

Thanks, everyone. If the weather warms up this weekend I might paint the fence in front white. With the red roses, that should look great in the Spring.

Quote Originally Posted by stillhere View Post
    So cozy and welcoming. I live in a 1890's farmhouse myself so I am smitten. Enjoy your time there.
    Wow, 40 posts in 6 years and this one brought you out of the woodwork? Thanks!

2 members found this post helpful.

I just love your farmhouse, it reminds me so much of my grandma's old farmhouse in Kentucky. Unfortunately the state forced her out and bought the farm for the new I-275. She had lived in that house her whole life so it was very sad,
    That was great of you to stay in touch with the family. By the way, my grandma's house was built from Sears Roebuck plans out of their catalog, which we found after she died.

These old farmsteads have lots and lots of history and stories that come with them. Thanks for sharing and I wish you many years of enjoyment.

Your house is adorable! Seriously, I love cool old houses like yours. The red is great.
    You are what you dare.

They do have a new latex or such type thick product that paints on metal roofs.
    Most I have seen are in warehouses and big barns and was white, but I am sure it comes in other colors also.

You may want to be sure first all the metal is nailed down very good, before spraying anything on it.
    The company here that sprays roofs can do it much cheaper than re-roofing would be and is guaranteed for many years.

Ideally, I would take the old tin down and re-roof with standing seam metal, light gray is a good color, that is the gold standard for metal residential roofing today.
    I have also seen some very striking copper colors, but don't know how that would work with the red house.

You may want to try to save the old tin, if all is wrong is needing to be nailed down, some paint and patching here and there.

Great color! I have a sister who lives in a red house and she rarely sees a farmhouse she doesn't think would look better red. We joke about her getting a chestnut (bays only at this point) and naming it "Looks Better Red."
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.