The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default padlocking horses into their stalls?!

So a fellow boarder and I share self-care board at a barn. I do morning chores, she does afternoon. I arrive this morning to all four of her horses PADLOCKED into their stalls, in such a way that I was completely unable to get in unless I climbed the rafters. I texted the owner, it turns out she has been arguing with the BO over a couple hundred dollars for November board because the horses haven't been getting turnout at all for weeks, yet she's still paying for turnout for four horses. Naturally, the owner didn't pay the turnout fee for this month, BO was pissed.

BO has a history of crazy throughout the horse industry down here, but since we were doing self-care board, we didn't think much of it.

I will say up front that the owner/fellow boarder does not seem to be the most truthful person in the world, and I haven't heard the BO's side, obviously, but even so, isn't this the most dangerous thing ever?????? Am I right to be completely shocked and angry? If one of those horses, who are in MY care in the morning, was hurt, I had absolutely no way to get to them without putting myself in danger. I also was unable to adequately care of them. I had to chuck hay 9+ feet in the air over the stall wall!!

The fellow boarder has located a new place, and is moving today (she's getting the police involved to seize her horses back). I'm really tempted to follow her, since I strongly disagree with a BO who would put horses in that much danger.

WWYD?

MOVE!!!

What if there had been a fire? What if a horse colicked, choked, got cast, etc, etc, etc.

12 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Padlocking is unacceptable. Even if they say "Someone is gonna steal my horses!", it's still unacceptable because anyone who wants to steal your horses is gonna bust through a padlock with little difficulty.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by morganpony86 View Post
    all four of her horses PADLOCKED into their stalls

BO has a history of crazy throughout the horse industry down here.

WWYD?
    Bolt cutters and a horse trailer. I don't do crazy.
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

21 members found this post helpful.

FOLLOW HER!

Seriously, not okay, not safe, not reasonable and rational. Life is too short to deal with control freak crazies – and the horse world has too many of them as it is (I avoid them like the plague!)

I would be high tailing it out of there – what if you and BO have a dispute? Keep padlock cutters on hand?

8 members found this post helpful.

Another vote for leave, FAST! Nobody should have to deal with that brand of insanity.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    MOVE!!!
    Or don't get in a fight with the BO.

Should you move? It depends on where you think the greater portion of crazy lies: In the padlocking BO or the slightly-dishonest HO.

FWIW, I think padlocking horses in stalls is unacceptable. But then so is not paying a bill as your way of "coming to an agreement" about services not rendered. It seems to me that HO-- who can move her horses within the day and will bring a cop along to help-- and the padlocking BO are both accustomed to playing hardball. So this sh!tstorm doesn't mean anything for you, unless you like to poke the hornet's nest, too.

I have been in barns with BOs who had a reputation for crazy. I don't play hardball. So I figured out how to be a better HO than the others with spectacular stories to tell. I didn't enjoy being in these barns, but I and my horse came out unscathed, too.

Don't flip out and best of luck to you.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    [snip] it's still unacceptable because anyone who wants to steal your horses is gonna bust through a padlock with little difficulty.
    So does the fire department

Seriously.

OP: you say your owner/friend isn't the most TRUTHFUL person, and you admit you haven't heard the BO's side yet. How do you know exactly how much board is owed? You don't. If I were you, I'd distance myself from this friend who isn't paying her bills. No location given for you, so no idea what the weather is like there...but if it's the NE, no joke the horses haven't been going out. I don't know her situation either, but if it's the 13th of the month and she isn't paying for turnout...she would have already paid on the 1st I assume? Maybe? Maybe not. And no 30 day notice?

As a BM who has seen a boarder lead two horses away in the night owing thousands of dollars to the BO, who was working with the boarder on her back board, moving the horses from stall board to pasture board and letting the boarder's teenage kids come out to work off the board...yeah. This BO has her own flavor of crazy, but I didn't blame her when she padlocked another horse in a stall after another boarder made it obvious she wasn't paying anything else and was going to move the horse owing two months' board.

Devil's advocate here.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I appreciate everyone's responses; it confirms that I am not overreacting.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    I have been in barns with BOs who had a reputation for crazy. I don't play hardball. So I figured out how to be a better HO than the others with spectacular stories to tell. I didn't enjoy being in these barns, but I and my horse came out unscathed, too.

Don't flip out and best of luck to you.
    This is sound advice, and I wholeheartedly appreciate it!
    Obviously, if I leave tomorrow as I have planned right now, it will be in response to how BO treated HO. My board is paid through Nov. I have no problems with burning bridges with the BO; that is not a concern.

The barn where I would move is MUCH closer to my house, which is far more convenient for me. The reason I wasn't there before was I had no idea it was open to the public; I thought it was a private facility only. There are some things I don't like about the potential new barn, but I can work with them for now. There are some things I don't like about the current barn (though they are fewer than the potential new barn), but I can work with them for now (well, except this crazy turn of events).

I do have concerns that the BO (who is only leasing the facility) may be kicked out of the barn soon; rumor has it that she's having money problems. She has been unable to pay for hay (horses routinely go 1-2 days without hay; doesn't affect me since I do self-care), and it explains the obsession to get the HO's $$. I'm wondering if I should just leave on my own terms now.

Sigh; I read my posts and look at them objectively and wonder why I haven't left yet... if it were anyone else I would've told them to leave yesterday, but it's so different when it's you!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    OP: you say your owner/friend isn't the most TRUTHFUL person, and you admit you haven't heard the BO's side yet. How do you know exactly how much board is owed? You don't. If I were you, I'd distance myself from this friend who isn't paying her bills. No location given for you, so no idea what the weather is like there...but if it's the NE, no joke the horses haven't been going out.

Devil's advocate here.
    I appreciate this.
    You are right, I don't know if she owes $200 like she's saying or $2000. She has not boarded there that long, so it can't be more than $5k at the absolute MAX.

Still, padlocking horses in their stalls????

I do plan to distance myself from this owner. And I have been keeping my distance. I realize she may be crazy too. But, the barn she found (as stated in my above post) is MUCH closer to me... it's honestly very convenient for me, and I would be able to do self care 2X a day instead of relying on potentially-less-than-truthful horse owner like I have been.
    If I stay, I have to find someone else to help me with chores, which may be crazy BO herself.

ETA: I'm in the deep south. Horses haven't been turned out in the 1/4 acre "pasture" (really a sacrifice paddock) because the BO says she wants the "grass to grow" (there is absolutely no chance of that, when 3-4 horses are turned out there every day)

I have been in your position almost to a T, but the BO did not padlock the stalls. The owner was late on board payments for three horses and had been planning to leave while the BO was out of town. I had my horse at the same barn and we did a little co-op together. When the owner decided to leave on such short notice, she asked if I would go with her. She was also not the most honest person and always seemed to be short on money to the point where the horses' feet didn't get done until 9 or 10 weeks, she couldn't afford grain and was buying one bale of hay at a time, etc. I chose to stay and boy am I glad I did.

My point is that it may be smart to cut ties with both the BO AND the owner of the horses. Go your own way - they both sound nuts. Padlocking a stall is unacceptable and dangerous, but it sounds like the owner is not the greatest, too. If you are going to go to this new barn (the same barn as her), that's great, but I would do it separately from her if that makes any sense. Especially if you think she will have the same type of issues with the new BO. You don't want to be guilty by association.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    So does the fire department
    If they get there fast enough...lots of times things happen so fast, or you don't catch it when it's first happening, that you just don't have time to wait for the vet/fire/whoever.

I don't know your entire situation or relationship with the BO, so no advice as to whether or not you should move. I agree with some that I don't like to burn bridges unless I have to (the horse world is SO small....) but you also don't want to stay in a bad place.

I had my pony padlocked in his stall once because my parents got the board check in late. BM (who this was NOT her first sketchy move) made a huge scene, and did it in front of all the other kids to "make an example" of me. I showed up for my lesson that afternoon, and I couldn't get my pony out. Couldn't ride. Couldn't have gotten him out if there HAD been an emergency. We were going to an event that weekend. We took ALL of my stuff with me, and when we came home, it was home to a different stall in a new barn. Parents said that they swung by the old barn that evening, just out of curiosity, and the BM had already taken my nameplate off the stall and put one of her horses in that stall. Glad we left when we did

I would say that if there is a barn nearer to you with better care and conditions, and they have room, then I would make arrangements and make the move while that open space still exists. It doesn't sound like it is going to be a fun or secure winter where you currently are. JMO. Good luck with your horse!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

1 members found this post helpful.

IMHO, it's irrelevant how much someone owes--you do not padlock horses into stalls. It's dangerous for the horses and could present a danger to any human who tries to get them out in an emergency such as a fire.

It's pure bat poo crazy IMHO to padlock escape routes. That's akin to padlocking the fire doors in a school for "security" purposes.

That said, if your co boarder is a piece of crap non-payer, she sucks too. If the services aren't being performed as agreed upon, take it to court. You don't just stop paying.

Horses first. In BOTH cases.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I totally understand frustration over unpaid board.
    But there are proper procedures for handling unpaid fees. Those are outlined in a CONTRACT.

Padlocking a horse in a stall is NEVER acceptable!

And yes, I would leave, for that reason alone. Quickly and quietly.
    I would not give notice, because anyone nutty enough to lock a horse in a stall is nutty enough to harm your horse out of spite.
    IF you have a contract that specifies notice, you should still pay, unless the BO has breached the contract with you.
    I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by morganpony86 View Post
    I do have concerns that the BO (who is only leasing the facility) may be kicked out of the barn soon; rumor has it that she's having money problems. She has been unable to pay for hay (horses routinely go 1-2 days without hay; doesn't affect me since I do self-care), and it explains the obsession to get the HO's $$. I'm wondering if I should just leave on my own terms now.

Sigh; I read my posts and look at them objectively and wonder why I haven't left yet... if it were anyone else I would've told them to leave yesterday, but it's so different when it's you!
    Leave. Leave now. Please. For the health and wellbeing of your horses and your own sanity.

I've boarded at the barn with the crazy owner. The owner who would "forget" to order shavings, so there would be days when no bedding at all was available. Boarders were only allowed one (very small, not a cart) wheelbarrow of shavings per week and were told that stripping their stalls wasted too much shavings. If boarders brought in their own shavings/pellets/straw to use so that they could keep their stall neat and clean they were yelled at for adding too much to the manure pile. They'd give their friends free stalls while continually jacking the rent on those of us that paid (5 of us with 15 horses total) while failing to hold up their end of the boarding contract. He also locked horses in stalls for "nonpayment" although my guess is that they were people that had free stalls in the first place and had a falling out with him. And that's just the tip of the crazy iceberg.

It took me getting seriously injured at this place for me to see how bad it really was. You clearly recognize that there are issues with this place, get out before it is too late.
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

2 members found this post helpful.

You can always leave without burning bridges.

I'm so sorry to have to leave on short notice, but due to Suzie Q leaving I no longer have my co-op partner to do the feeding and chores. I have decided to move the horses closer to my home so that I can feed them 2 times a day. I have really enjoyed being here and if things change I'll keep you in mind.

Then pay your board for the month as your 30 days notice.

6 members found this post helpful.

I find this interesting because a few months ago a BO posted about hearing a rumor that a boarder might be trying to leave and half the members on this board suggested padlocking the horse in its stall to prevent it from going until the owner paid up. A policy which I strongly disagree with.

4 members found this post helpful.

The sane-people way to handle this is to require a security deposit in the first place.

And then actually provide the services people are paying for instead of charging for stuff you're not doing anyway.

I bought 2 pairs of bolt cutters, one large and one small, at hardware store after my friend's horse was padlocked in a pasture several years ago. I got a cop to help us get the horse out that night, but afterwards, I said I'd never be without bolt cutters.