The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 51
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb. 20, 2006
    Posts
    173

    Default Official Results from 2012 NA Stallion Test are posted!

    Hello everyone!

    We would like to thank all the stallion owners for sending us their beloved boys this year. We thoroughly enjoyed working with this talented group and are excited for American breeders to have them right here and available for breeding! We were also very excited to have 21 stallions complete this test and have posted not only their indexes this year, but also their detailed score sheets as well. If you click on "Detailed Reports" at the bottom of the list of stallions and their indexes on the homepage of the website, you will see a .pdf of all of the score sheets. Congrats to all of these stallion owners and I can honestly say, "I can't wait till next year!!!!"

    Also, congrats to all the stallions who received new lifetime breeding licenses on Sunday...there were a lot.

    http://www.nastalliontesting.com


    3 members found this post helpful.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb. 20, 2006
    Posts
    173

    Default

    We also want to let you know that now that things have calmed down a little we will be doing a few more blog posts on how the final days are scored! So for all the blog junkies, we will wean you off slowly! Until next year that is....



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun. 21, 2004
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    4,053

    Default

    are the 3 jumbled scores scrached out?
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"



  4. #4

    Default

    Kudos to Silver Creek for all your hard work!

    I do have one small critique/ question for the powers that be: given that this test happened in North America, the stallions will be standing in NA, and the mare owners who will use the stallions are in all likelihood based in NA, why are the detailed results given on German (language) forms? Is it too much to ask that the results be user-friendly for both German and English speakers/ readers?

    I don't mean to offend. This choice just seems counterintuitive. Or are we as an audience not really expected to view the detailed results?


    1 members found this post helpful.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb. 20, 2006
    Posts
    173

    Default

    The score sheets are in German because they are calculated in Germany (in order to be accepted by so many registries, this is the format that is required). However, we do provide a translation of these terms on the website for the American readers. These sheets were originally provided to the stallion owners only, but we are following the example of our German counterparts in publishing the raw scores - which help to provide a more accurate and complete picture anyways. Here is the link to the page with the translation of terms:

    http://www.nastalliontesting.com/ind...re-explanation



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug. 22, 2005
    Location
    mid-atlantic
    Posts
    2,402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverCreek View Post
    The score sheets are in German because they are calculated in Germany (in order to be accepted by so many registries, this is the format that is required). However, we do provide a translation of these terms on the website for the American readers. These sheets were originally provided to the stallion owners only, but we are following the example of our German counterparts in publishing the raw scores - which help to provide a more accurate and complete picture anyways. Here is the link to the page with the translation of terms:

    http://www.nastalliontesting.com/ind...re-explanation
    Thanks so much for posting this! I tried to use a web site to translate and I got "sprinkler system" instead of "free jumping technique"
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug. 19, 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    365

    Default

    What's the story on the score for Watch Me Go Byebye? Not trying to pick on stallions or start any drama, but I'm curious as to how it's even possible to get a score that low! Presumably someone in the know can provide some insight?



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct. 2, 2007
    Location
    Mirabel, QC
    Posts
    2,656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by *Tradewind* View Post
    What's the story on the score for Watch Me Go Byebye? Not trying to pick on stallions or start any drama, but I'm curious as to how it's even possible to get a score that low! Presumably someone in the know can provide some insight?
    Read the detailed scoresheet here: http://www.nastalliontesting.com/doc...st_Results.pdf

    There is the matter of the bell curve, which I will admit to understanding more or less, but he clearly got lower raw scores than any other stallion...

    Love that you shared the raw scores SilverCreek! Very much appreciated and it really helps seeing through the indexes.
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov. 28, 2000
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    10,372

    Thumbs up

    More Kudos and congratulations to Silver Creek - such a lot of work, planning, organization and execution - well done!

    Congratulations to all the stallions and their owners who participated, and best of luck to them all as they move on to the next phase of their careers.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr. 30, 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,861

    Default

    Tradewind- Not in the know but can suggest that you look at the nature of normal distribution. The final numbers are a reflection of how much the horse "stuck out" from the group. If you have a group that is fairly uniform and then one horse is way below (or way above), you get extreme scores. I thought is was very good of Silver Creed to post the raw data. It shows people how the system works and why you get the results you do. And to add that it is mandated system from the governing bodies. I have issue with how they are using stats and believe their system to be antiquated. But it is not a criticism of Silver Creek, who did an excellent job of the system they were given to work with.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec. 9, 2011
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Does anyone have the list of stallions that were approved by a registry?



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug. 19, 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stoicfish View Post
    Tradewind- Not in the know but can suggest that you look at the nature of normal distribution. The final numbers are a reflection of how much the horse "stuck out" from the group. If you have a group that is fairly uniform and then one horse is way below (or way above), you get extreme scores. I thought is was very good of Silver Creed to post the raw data. It shows people how the system works and why you get the results you do. And to add that it is mandated system from the governing bodies. I have issue with how they are using stats and believe their system to be antiquated. But it is not a criticism of Silver Creek, who did an excellent job of the system they were given to work with.
    Fair enough, I should have considered the raw scores (especially since I teach statistics and I believe I was the one who posted the explanation of the normal distribution in response to the stallion testing last year )! It's still surprising that it's possible for a stallion to score that much lower than all the others when the final scores are calculated! It does make one wonder whether the scoring system is appropriate for the North American testing.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug. 17, 2011
    Posts
    216

    Default

    The problem with the system is some of the stallions will have to fail...even if they are not sub-par. Those below the bell curve fail. Makes no sense to me either.
    Quote Originally Posted by *Tradewind* View Post
    Fair enough, I should have considered the raw scores (especially since I teach statistics and I believe I was the one who posted the explanation of the normal distribution in response to the stallion testing last year )! It's still surprising that it's possible for a stallion to score that much lower than all the others when the final scores are calculated! It does make one wonder whether the scoring system is appropriate for the North American testing.
    Nancy Holowesko
    www.crosiadorefarm.com
    Breeders of GOV Horses for Dressage



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec. 14, 2007
    Location
    Wilsonville, Ontario, CANADA
    Posts
    4,329

    Default

    The "bell curve" part confuses me

    Does it mean that if I have a stallion presented that is an okay mover - he's a 8 out of 10 in all of his gaits, and the year I present him all of the other stallions are also "okay" movers, he would get approved (all other things being equal) because he is part of an "okay" group and he doesnt "stick out" anywhere???

    But - if I presented him in a year where all of the other stallions are in the league of Qredit - fabulous movers - he wouldnt get approved because his "8" "stuck out" compared to the other stallions???

    So - an "8" might be okay this year for approval but not next year because of the luck of the draw and what stallions were in attendance?

    Is that how the "Bell Curve" concept works?



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov. 5, 2000
    Posts
    9,274

    Default

    But don't the stallions in the middle of the bell curve represent the "median" for the stallions at that testing? And the stallions at the ends of the bell curve are either "above median" or "below median"? It would therefore seem to me it is appropriate that stallions "below median" fail - or, at least, the ones at the very bottom end of "below median". Otherwise, we are not moving breeding forward by trying to ensure that only the better stallions contribute to the gene pool.
    Last edited by DownYonder; Nov. 13, 2012 at 08:29 PM. Reason: clarification


    1 members found this post helpful.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov. 5, 2000
    Posts
    9,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TrueColours View Post
    So - an "8" might be okay this year for approval but not next year because of the luck of the draw and what stallions were in attendance?
    I am not sure you would need to worry about an "8" mover, unless every other horse there was a "10" in all three paces! And even then, he would need to fall far below the other stallions in other areas. But I believe gaits are weighted fairly low (2.5 for each gait, except - I think - cross-country gallop, which is weighted at 5), compared to other qualities, such character, temperament, willingness to work, jumping, etc. (weighted at 5), or rideability (weighted at 15).



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct. 10, 2001
    Location
    West Coast of Canada
    Posts
    1,641

    Default

    I'm wondering what would typically scores a horse a 5 in the Character department? Would it be that the horse is quite hot? overly sensative, or maybe possesses a particularly aloof demeanor?



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug. 17, 2011
    Posts
    216

    Default

    I would like to know that too.... but will most likely not find out.

    Outside judge comes in for a week, two weeks before the end of the test. He/she is the one that awards that score. Stallion is not hot, not sensitive but is a bit cheeky. Maybe said "stallion" upsets/is disliked by the "guest judge". But that is what happens in tests. Not every stallion is going to be happy with his test rider, especially when he has been ridden quite well at home and away from home by other stallion riders. It happens and is part of the process. The testing is what it is.

    You prove them wrong by outstanding foals and good competition results. Even if you win the test, if you do not back it up with good foal crops and good competition results, so are toast.
    Nancy Holowesko
    www.crosiadorefarm.com
    Breeders of GOV Horses for Dressage



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct. 20, 2008
    Location
    Sunshine State
    Posts
    2,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Janeway View Post
    I'm wondering what would typically scores a horse a 5 in the Character department? Would it be that the horse is quite hot? overly sensative, or maybe possesses a particularly aloof demeanor?

    I'm wondering this too.... Is it like an overall impression thing? I'd assume it was along the lines of temperment and willingness to work, but they've got separate scores for those things.
    The rebel in the grey shirt



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec. 14, 2007
    Location
    Wilsonville, Ontario, CANADA
    Posts
    4,329

    Default

    Wasnt it Voltaire that was one of the famous "failures" that didnt get approved when he went through his testing?



Similar Threads

  1. 2012 North American Stallion Test Blog
    By SilverCreek in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: Nov. 15, 2012, 05:23 PM
  2. Replies: 148
    Last Post: Nov. 15, 2012, 08:24 AM
  3. Rolex 2012--Official thread
    By vineyridge in forum Eventing
    Replies: 137
    Last Post: Apr. 26, 2012, 11:43 PM
  4. Stallion Test Results?
    By PippiLongStockings in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Feb. 12, 2011, 03:10 PM
  5. Stallion Test Results
    By Kyzteke in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 126
    Last Post: Dec. 31, 2009, 10:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness