The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Gayle,

No they are not closely related. http://www.pedigreequery.com/mine+that+bird

1 members found this post helpful.

How sad Jody . I appreciate your sharing of the story.

Thanks Janeway. The good news is that Roy, Brenda's son has a great life at my farm, looks exactly like his mother so I can keep her memory alive.....and I have a lovely mare now I compete. Though she is a bay, she has her chestnut mare moments (which ironically Brenda Starr never had, not even once.) So perhaps it should be, Bay Mare Beware.

3 members found this post helpful.

I have to say this is one of my most hated wive's tales!!! I have had horses/ponies since 4yo and showed many others for others and the worst ones always seemed to be dark in color, either black or dark bay and not always mares. I personally love mares and find nothing more flashy than a dark chestnut with lots of white! My best producing mare is a chestnut Grandaughter of Secretariat. All of her babies inherit her heart and her jumping ability. But she also has amazing gaits and a uphill build (not always common in TBs). She is in several Main Mare Books even tho her poor front legs are hideous looking from racing injuries. She somehow remains sound and produces one beauty after another. Her first born is a 4' jumper 17.3h chestnut gelding by Art Deco.

I currently have a gorgeous chestnut filly with bling by Rousseau out of a Holsteiner mare that competed thru 4th level. This filly did great at her inspection and was tied for 7th in the huge open fillies of 2012 class at DAD and 8th in the even huger Oldenburg NA class (which was all ages) at DAD! Yet not one inquiry on her??? I was talking to a friend about her the other day and she said, well too bad she wasn't born bay!!!! Ughhhhhh

WOW! What power and "try" she has--and she's such a beauty to boot

I'm a sucker for a good chestnut mare...
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Genuine Risk was a well known TB race horse. And she was chestnut. She put some "boys " in their place during her racing career.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    My current favorite little red mare - Gotha!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuzY7Zh_5gw
    Is this the mare by Goldfever? If not what is her breeding?

Touch of Class was bay. Winning Colors was gray.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Quick review of the National Racing Hall of Fame reveals the following chesntut mares inducted:

Azeri
    Beldame
    Busher
    Bowl of Flowers
    Chris Evert
    Dahlia
    Fashion
    Gallorette
    Genuine Risk
    Mom's Command
    Open Mind
    Regret

Apologies if I overlooked any.

I started a thread about this (to me totally irrational) prejudice against chestnut mares on the H/J forum once. I was curious about how it got started and got some interesting replies.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...chestnut+mares
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Feine Dame, Silver Medalist 1992 Barcelona Olympics, ridden by Herbert Blocker of Germany. If I remember correctly, she was late in the go and the first horse to go all the straight routes. What a cross country machine!

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberlee Farms View Post
    Ado Annie (ISH) ridden by Will Simpson.
    Hadn't thought of that horse in a-g-e-s but as a kid, she was one I used to fantasize that I owned. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Anybody remember the showjumper mare Threes & Sevens??

I believe she was a chestnut mare. And a QH at that.
    You don't have to be good to start, but you do have to start to be good.

Quote Originally Posted by quiet girl View Post
    Feine Dame, Silver Medalist 1992 Barcelona Olympics, ridden by Herbert Blocker of Germany. If I remember correctly, she was late in the go and the first horse to go all the straight routes. What a cross country machine!
    Thanks so much for the reminder! Indeed, she was FANSTASTIC-- the first horse to show that those straight routes could be done-- which she had to do herself to get the silver because she (a Holsteiner) couldn't compete against TB speed any other way! What an amazing mare, and, indeed, chestnut (I've gotta dig out that video again now!). For me, Feine Dame's performance was the 2nd most memorable of that Olympics-- right behind Classic Touch flying like a bird to individual SJ gold after losing her bridle in the team competition. What a year for Holsteiner mares-- a big reason why I spent years trying to breed myself one.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    Quick review of the National Racing Hall of Fame reveals the following chesntut mares inducted:

Azeri
    Beldame
    Busher
    Bowl of Flowers
    Chris Evert
    Dahlia
    Fashion
    Gallorette
    Genuine Risk
    Mom's Command
    Open Mind
    Regret

Apologies if I overlooked any.

I started a thread about this (to me totally irrational) prejudice against chestnut mares on the H/J forum once. I was curious about how it got started and got some interesting replies.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...chestnut+mares
    just a small shout out to Somethingroyal. She was pretty important, especially once you start talking about all those great Secretariat daughters.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I have an 18-year old chestnut mare that I have owned for 15 years and was retired this year from a very successful horse show career. In her 12 years of showing she had one bad day (at Harrisburg) and won many titles. She carted me around and even at her last show (a AA) she won the tri-color when she should have stopped at every jump.

She was the very best and I won't ever find a horse like her. She is retired from showing but I still ride her and love every minute of it. Some of us just get lucky. Anyone who makes generalizations about these wonderful mares should be stoned!