The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Let's Talk WB & TB Line crossing's ..

We all know how often WB programs are infused with TB mare's, and sometimes you'll even see a TB Stallion bred to a WB Mare (though in my experience, it seems to be vice versa).

With so much blood being infused, what are you finding in your studies or experience, cross well in terms of lines?

In TB's I personally love the cross between Seattle Slew & Private Account decendants, and I think both lines cross really well into the Balou du Rouet line...

What have you found?

Actually, the Vice Versa is more often the case. Only here do we you use TB mares and then breed them to WB stallions. In Germany and the rest of Europe, TB are almost exclusively brought in via the Sire. There is an advantage to following this model. When choosing a mare I would want to purchase one that is a product of sport breeding vs one that is a product of a running breeding focus. Your two choices are just that, a product of the running industry. I do not know of a single offspring of either of those stallions that have competed at the top of sport. In here lies the problem. Breeders need to be selecting from pedigree's with proven production in sport in my humble opinion.

Tim
    Sparling Rock Holsteiners
    www.sparlingrock.com

1 members found this post helpful.

I suppose that could be argued, however you'll notice I said "in my experience" - because exactly for what you said - in my/our area it's common. I should also mention i'm not in the market to be breeding, I was just generally curious what people thought produced quality results in terms of specific blood lines

Quote Originally Posted by Tempi.Change View Post
    I suppose that could be argued, however you'll notice I said "in my experience" - because exactly for what you said - in my/our area it's common. I should also mention i'm not in the market to be breeding, I was just generally curious what people thought produced quality results in terms of specific blood lines
    It may be common in your area, but not optimal for WB sporthorse breeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempi.Change View Post
    In TB's I personally love the cross between Seattle Slew & Private Account decendants, and I think both lines cross really well into the Balou du Rouet line...

What have you found?[/COLOR]
    Hey, that's what my guy is! Here's his pedigree: http://www.pedigreequery.com/doctors+secret

We just dink around on trails and little jumps, so I can't comment on his ability, but he's a fun ride for sure.
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

I am trying my own cross with my 3 Mighty Forum (GB) mares. His breeding screams athleticism and crossing with Darco line stallion I have a gut feeling I am going to get some nice jumpers and eventers.I chose Valentino Z. My first is a coming 2 yr old filly with nice size and bone, really like her hind end and shoulder. Going to start free jumping her this winter and see what she's got. I bred her dam, the breeding is Mighty Forum out of Succubus by Cozzene, the mare I bred to be a route turf horse, but we never got that far. Free schooling her she could jump the moon. Training accident turned her into a broodmare. Next I bred another MF mare out of the Diesis mare Royal Plunder. That filly is a 2012 and is a lovely mover and could go any way, hunters, jumpers or eventing. The 3rd is due in April and she is a full sister to the first mare bred. She's different in conformation and temperament, so it will be interesting to see what I get. I am also going to try Valentino Z on my homebred 16.3 hand Waquoit mare. I think it will be a good cross. I bred my Allen's Prospect mare to Figaro B and that 2012 filly looks a lot like her sire. Her dam won a few races, but is a 10 mover, so I was aiming for a hunter. Then I bred my Weshaam mare to Cartier R due in March. Her two TB foals by my stallion are hunters, the older has competed a little at some rated shows beating some very nice WBs, so I feel this could be a very nice hunter foal. Next year I have plans to breed a few more.
    www.hilltopfarmva.com

Facebook: Hilltop Farm VA