The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Suggestions of a lightweight hunt coat/frock

I'm looking for a mid to lightweight hunt coat after spending a 4 hour hunt in my double thick heavy weight melton on a sunny 65 degree day. I've seen a lot of options online but I can't tell what the material really looks like and I need something that comes in tall--and not too expensive as it will only be used on rare hot days (MD here).

Any suggestions?

1 members found this post helpful.

http://www.equestriancollections.com...upcode=RJ10037

The reviews are very good for fit and also for being cool.

gypsymare is offline Fox Hunter Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by jawa View Post
    http://www.equestriancollections.com...upcode=RJ10037

The reviews are very good for fit and also for being cool.
    Thanks, but the closeup of the material looks like it has a bit of a plaid pattern to it. I was looking for something that wouldn't stand out. More of a true melton or frock, just of a lighter weight.

I don't mind changing out buttons... I've seen some suitable looking dressage coats with silver I could change to black but it's hard to tell what the material is really like through a computer screen and I find the supply of talls at most tack shops rather lacking.

If you have your colors... a member of my hunt just got a navy LW frock from The Tack Box (www.thetackboxinc.com), and another lady also purchased the same one in black. They are quite nice, well-made, and are only incorrect in that they have 4 buttons, not 3 (so both members just purchased 3 hunt buttons to put on them, and left the bottom one plain, which made it much less obvious). I am not certain what brand they are (Pytchley, perhaps?), but you can call the Tack Box and ask them.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

Years ago, I bought a cheap Devon Aire 100% wool dressage coat as a hunt coat. Now, it was hot on sunday (which is probably why we only stayed out for 2 hours!) but I wasn't sweating to death in it. I would have died in my heavy melton.

It actually came with black buttons but I've since switched them out to my hunt's buttons when I was awarded colors.
    \"And indeed the love that the horses of the Rangers bore for their riders was so great that they were willing to face even the terror of the Door , if their masters\' hearts were steady as they walked beside them.\" The Return of the Ki

Why would you seek out a dressage one with 4 buttons? I would have thought that lightweight black ones with 3 buttons aimed at hunter/jumper riders were easy find.

It seems to me that the 3 button hunter/jumper competition offer a little less "coverage". The coats are shorter than dressage coats.

I bought a light weight technical fabric dressage coat. It had four buttons. I took the top button off, stitched the top hole closed, and repressed the collar so that you couldn't tell it was supposed to have 4 buttons.

I look for coats that have the bottom come close to my finger tips.

I did use a cheapy hunter/jumper show coat for years as my light weight formal coat.

Most years you only need it for a hunt or two, but I used a light weight coat alot last year. It never really seemed to get cold.

gypsymare is offline Fox Hunter Premium Member
    Original Poster

Yes, I find the regular hunt show coats too short to blend in well on a formal day. Everything is short on me to begin with and those are even worse. I would like something more like a true hunting frock, just not 1/2 inch thick and $800. Under $400 would be nice.