The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My baby lost an eye.

I have had horses injure eyes before, and learned years ago, to take ANY eye injury seriously. But sometimes that's not enough.

My 3 yr old came in last Monday with a swollen eye. I could say she was fine in the AM, but reality is, I did not see her that AM. I broke my leg six weeks ago, and though I still see my horses daily, I did not see her THAT AM till after she was turned out with fly mask on.

Anyway, my friend medicated her eye that night, and we could not see any scratch, but called vet anyway. Vet came and said to take my girl to Gainseville. So after a half dozen calls, found a ride. ( its my right leg that's broken, so no driving)

What she had was an abcess. They said there was no scratch. That she had likely had some tiny foreign body that did not cause discomfort. Ad that the eye had sealed over it. Then did not present as painful till it was really bad.

I was offered to treat medically, at $200 a day, plus the initial $1,500, with very guarded prognosis for saving the eye.

Money was a consideration, as my out of pocket for my broken leg is over $5,000. But the deciding factor was mostly long term treatment, which I could not physically do, after her release, IF it helped. And it sounded like she would likely be blind in that eye anyway.

So, it was removed. I thought it would be hard to see her after the bandage came off. But it's not. I loved her as a crooked legged orphan, and as a jug head yearling. I love her personality, her amazing spirit, and will love her always, no matter what dings she has.

She has amazed me with her resilience. She does not seem to realize she now has only one eye.

I took A LOT of crap about raising an orphan. How spoiled they become. How she would be ruined. And every day, she has proven the negative Nellies wrong. But never more so than this past week.
    I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.

4 members found this post helpful.

(going to get southern here)

Awww honey. You are being so strong. I am so sorry that this happened, on top of your broken leg. I hope you have someone to take care of both of you. She is lucky to have such a good mom!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

3 members found this post helpful.

This whole situation just stinks. But it sounds like you did the right thing. Absolutely. I hope your leg heals well and soon. And it sounds like your little girl is well on her way to healing up and adjusting to a life that only looks a little different from her point of view.

I'd love to see a picture of your girl if you have any. Your description of jug headed sounds like my favorite kind of horse.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

1 members found this post helpful.

For the first two paragraphs, I thought you were talking about your human child...just sayin...

So sorry to hear it. If I can offer some good news, I have seen a one-eyed horse who competed at Training level eventing. Read an article in Horse & Hound about another who was competing at CCI*** level. I rode an appy who was blind in one eye at Prelim (he'd also competed up to CCI*** level). They just learn to cope with it.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Oh no, that is so sad. It sounds like you have an awesome survivor of a mare, though, and I bet you this wont slow her down one bit. Was she a riding/show prospect? Will that still be a possibilty?

She was only started under saddle. With 2 others, no rush riding her.
    I never planned for her. I took her at three weeks old, when she was orphaned.
    I don't know what we will eventually do. But I know that her missing an eye won't make me leery of riding her. She is very level headed.
    Ajierene, not sure why you thought that? I re read my post and I had said horse twice in the first two paragraphs. Never mind "called the vet", LOL!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sobriska View Post
    I don't know what we will eventually do. But I know that her missing an eye won't make me leery of riding her. She is very level headed.
    Ajierene, not sure why you thought that? I re read my post and I had said horse twice in the first two paragraphs. Never mind "called the vet", LOL!
    Plus she was "turned out with a fly mask".....lol

Wow! jingles for the both of you!! Are you in the Ocala area? My farm is just down the street from the horse show, if you need a hand while either one of you is recuperating, I don't work. Feel free to PM me
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post
    So sorry to hear it. If I can offer some good news, I have seen a one-eyed horse who competed at Training level eventing. Read an article in Horse & Hound about another who was competing at CCI*** level. I rode an appy who was blind in one eye at Prelim (he'd also competed up to CCI*** level). They just learn to cope with it.
    An MNT Arab trainer and her amateur sister won several open and AOTR unanimous regional championships and had a great go at US Nationals this year on a horse who this time last year was at the VTH having her eye removed. Judges didn't even notice the horse was so good.

Jingles you both recover quickly
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Quote Originally Posted by Sobriska View Post

Exactly what I was thinking.... (had a puff on the bong before reading, huh?)

I saw a GP jumper have one eye and a AO so it isn't an end all

I rode an appy that was 80% i(n both eyes) blind and she learned voice commands.
    Last edited by Nootka; Nov. 13, 2012 at 12:16 PM.
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Although I am truly very sorry, I am also applauding. LOUDLY. You are an exceptional horseperson. Period.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

3 members found this post helpful.

I couldn't have said it better!

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    (going to get southern here)

Awww honey. You are being so strong. I am so sorry that this happened, on top of your broken leg. I hope you have someone to take care of both of you. She is lucky to have such a good mom!

awww, what a little fighter! I too have heard losing an eye doesn't really do much. Sometimes they might have to turn their heads weird to see something, but other than that its generally not a big deal.

I had an older pony lose an eye 2 years ago. Never slowed him down. She will be fine Hope you feel better!

Ran across this looking for something else. Should have updated, but WOW life gets nutty at times!
    My girl turned four thiis month. And has really never missed a beat after losing an eye. We HAVE had many one sided conversations about keeping her mask on! As we obviously can not afford any more eye problems.
    I haven't been on her back since, but only because I have two adult horses to keep in shape plus two jobs and am back to playing ball. I like ponying her because she gets exercise and the adult horses are good examples. We have had some rough patches, but I have never regretted taking her. I wish I knew how to post photos, because she has certainly come into her own this Spring.

Oh, what rough luck. My friend has a one-eyed horse and he is awesome. They have lived a great life together, doing a little bit of everything and he is still going strong at 25.

I hope you both heal well!
    Sheilah

photobucket, flicker, or similar photo host, then link.

glad to hear she is doing alright!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I have a QH who lost the vision in his left eye a few years back. I went to the barn and noticed he had a scratch in his eye, called the vet about it because it look tinted. He got all sorts of ointments and medicines and the vet said he should be fine as long as he has a fly mask on while outside to prevent further damage (rode and jumped with him in one with no problems.) Vet said he would eventually gain his vision back as long as the fly mask was on and sun damage didn't expose it. Sadly, I had to give him back (I bought him off the school line because I fell in love with him) to my barn after some financial woes and he was put on the school line (again..). For whatever reason some of the trainers would take the fly mask off mid lesson while jumping because they thought that's why he was refusing (this is the type of horse who will never refuse unless the rider is steering him all over), well long story short, he lost all the vision in his left eye from sun damage and lack of care from some of the girls at the barn (still makes me angry.) I still ride him every week and hopefully I'll be buying him back next summer. We jump around a 2'6+ course no problem, he does his changes, and we show and win. Him having one eye doesn't effect one thing Your girl is still young, she will adapt just fine and will still excel. Horses don't really seem to notice the change, or at least don't let it effect them. I like sharing my story with people who have had similar accidents, makes me feel less alone. Sorry this post was so long!

(https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...t=t.1661043515)
    Picture of my horse, where you can see his eye is tinted a blue shade. We did pretty well at that show, just ignore how awkward I look

I had a lovely Filly years ago, who scratched her Cornea as a weanling.
    We did all kinds of expensive treatments, had the eyelid stitched shut and medicated 3 times a day. She was blind in it, But truth be told, she never had a problem. Broke her out as a 3 Yr. old, she jumped did everything just like a horse with full sight.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.