Hugs to you. I kept thinking there was no guarantee the foal would be viable.. and then your mare would be at such risk. It is such a terrible decision but one I think you will be able to live with. The alternative I don't think you could have. It is so hard though. Are you terminating at home or taking her back to Guelph? I am sending all the good vibes I can muster to you...
I know this was a very hard decision. I am glad you are taking care of the mare. There is no right or wrong answer here, but I think you made the tough choice that was needed. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your mare. Hugs.
I have been watching this thread for awhile. You are doing the right thing for your mare. This has to be the most difficult decision that anyone can make. Sending prayers to you, for your mare to make a full recovery. I am sorry for your loss, too.
I've been off for the last couple of days and just got caught up. I'm so sorry for your situation. For what it's worth, I ABSOLUTELY think you are making the right decision. If you allowed her to carry the pregnancy, the chance of a good ending (in my opinion) was slim. If she managed to carry without fully rupturing, she could rupture during delivery (think of the strength of abdominal contractions). Even if she did not rupture, it's possible that she wouldn't be able to deliver the foal, and you'd be looking at an emergency trip to the vet hospital for a c-section to save your mare's life.
If this was my beloved mare, I would allow the vet to deliver the foal, take her home, kiss her, turn her out and not breed her again. I would be afraid of the risk of this happening again. If ET is a possibility, she'd be able to do that.
Good luck. I hope everything goes well and uneventfully for you both.
Minglewood Sport Horses
Ballston Spa, NY
I'm so very sorry. We all know the long list of things that can go wrong in a foaling when everything is right to start out with... I would have done the same thing. Bless them both, and you. What a horrible position to be put in.
Thinking good thoughts and sending jingles for everyone, especially your mare to come through just fine.
We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting. www.dleestudio.com
Thanks again everyone!! She still seems very content and her measurements are still the same Tomorrow morning I start her rounds of shots to start this process...I am NOT looking forward to it that is for sure!!